By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663

"We knew we were going to give it a
fight, especially after the first
period," Kane said. "When you're
down 4-0 and you can come back to
make it 6-5, you have to have a little
bit of a good feeling about that.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

i dont know what news you read or watch but it would be considered a come back. lol. thats whats funny about this thread. next time i see media do it i will post the link. happens all the time

That would be a comeback attempt.

Lawlight said:

walsufnir said:

Turkish said:
Think about it, when its all said and done the PS3 will be very close to Wii sales, perhaps even more.

Same could happen to 360 (stingray). 

It'll be funny if the Wii finishes last.

imo wii already is last, what im trying to say the mad rushes to buy a wii during early years did nothing for game support as all the titles are on hd twins.

besides support for wii dropped a long time ago aswell as lull in sales, so you could say thats it for wii now.

on topic ps3 has made a good comeback and certainly shut a load of doomerz up lol

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Veknoid_Outcast said:

you must not follow a single sport. i already posted a game where the team was down by 4 at one point and came back to make it a one point game. media always says a team made a come back if it looked like they were down and out

Veknoid_Outcast said:

you must not follow a single sport. i already posted a game where the team was down by 4 at one point and came back to make it a one point game. media always says a team made a come back if it looked like they were down and out

Apart from derailing the thread and diverting attention away from my original point, what purpose does your argument have?

Do you want to argue semantics? Or do you want to refute my point?

Are you saying the PS3 has made the greatest comeback ever because it went from being in third place by a lot to being in third place by a little?

Around the Network

Lol you got proved wrong and you want to say im derailing the thread. I thought this thread was about comebacks. Which is what im talking about

Lol you got proved wrong and you want to say im derailing the thread. I thought this thread was about comebacks. Which is what im talking about

Please quote me so I can keep track of your backpedaling.

This thread IS about comebacks. The greatest comeback ever, if I read the OP correctly. I do not believe the PS3 qualifies as the greatest comeback ever. If you do, please tell me why. And please tell me why my reasoning is incorrect.

TheShape31 said:
Lawlight said:
TheShape31 said:
Lawlight said:
TheShape31 said:
3DS did.

Thread closed.

Only in Japan...

*cough*worldwide*cough*

Not really. We just have to look at software sales outside of Japan to see that.

Or we can look at hardware sales in every region.  It's the only console that sells strong globally on a consistent basis.  No console can possibly have 100% equal sales across all regions, so the fact that 3DS hardware sells highest in Japan is irrelevant.  You make it sound like it's even remotely similar to Xbox selling huge in the US only, but you have no argument to compare the two within that context.  3DS was nearly a dead system, then suddenly it topped the sales of every other console and then some.  Greatest comeback ever.

Thread closed.  ;)

doesn't it sell less than PS3 which is 5 years older in America, the PS3's worst region?  I mean it's doing great and is definitely dominating handhelds, but considering it's already $170 it should be outselling PS3 in America.  Also 3DS was never out of first for the handhelds.  It sold fairly strong (just not Nintendo handheld strong) in the first couple months then exploded.  PS3 is still in 3rd (not for long) but it was getting trounced and hated across the entire internet and news media.  They completely turned around the console and got it to be (by the time it's disontinued) a ~100m seller (PS1 levels).  That's one hell of turn around that took years.  I can't compare that to a handheld selling slightly less than expected before rebounding before the competition even came out.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Well, the turnaround is a fluke, basically. It just so happened that non-gamers latched on to the novelty. No different from the tamagotchi.

I'm confused by your post. Are you refuting my point? Or are you taking a pot shot at Nintendo? Or both? Or neither?

Which point? The point where you assume that the race is over? As you say, the one with the most points win and we don't know the final score yet.

Then tell us when you think the race is over. When PS3 sold enough? :) This is the thing most argue about: when is the "race" over? Nintendo already quit race. So for them race is already over. Usually Sony sells their consoles longer than others so it's somehow shifted.

Well, the race is over when there is no possibility of any change in the ranking. And Nintendo forfeiting doesn't mean the race is over.

Thanks for your opinion to this.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact that the one who finishes with the most units sold wins - just like the football team which finishes with the most points wins.

Lawlight said:

That's not an opinion. It's a fact that the one who finishes with the most units sold wins - just like the football team which finishes with the most points wins.

I am sure neither MS or Nintendo minds Sony coming in after the game is over to stat pad at the cost of market share, brand power, and billions of dollars. They'd make that trade off ten times out of ten.