By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Well, the turnaround is a fluke, basically. It just so happened that non-gamers latched on to the novelty. No different from the tamagotchi.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sony managed an impressive turnaround with PS3, but it pales in comparison to the renaissance Nintendo achieved with Wii.

Honestly, the two scenarios aren't really close. PS3 endured a rocky launch and then improved greatly, but Nintendo moved from last place to first place with one of the most revolutionary, disruptive, financially successful consoles of all time.

Even if we're talking about a single console generation, Sony hasn't "won" anything. It's still sitting in third place. I'm not saying it deserves to be in third -- it doesn't -- but it IS there. If a basketball team had a 13-0 run to end the game, but still lost 78-75, it wouldn't be called a comeback, would it?

Really the only way to argue this is to cite software, but even that would be a losing argument. The early PS3 games might not be as impressive as the later ones, but there were some gems: Resistance, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Well, the turnaround is a fluke, basically. It just so happened that non-gamers latched on to the novelty. No different from the tamagotchi.

I'm confused by your post. Are you refuting my point? Or are you taking a pot shot at Nintendo? Or both? Or neither?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm confused by your post. Are you refuting my point? Or are you taking a pot shot at Nintendo? Or both? Or neither?

Which point? The point where you assume that the race is over? As you say, the one with the most points win and we don't know the final score yet.

Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Which point? The point where you assume that the race is over? As you say, the one with the most points win and we don't know the final score yet.

Then tell us when you think the race is over. When PS3 sold enough? :) This is the thing most argue about: when is the "race" over? Nintendo already quit race. So for them race is already over. Usually Sony sells their consoles longer than others so it's somehow shifted.

Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:

Well, no. It's not as simple as that. A large amount of units sold doesn't always translate to profitability. But if you want to set units sold as the only criterion, then, yes, the Wii is "winning." If, in three or four years, the PS3 has sold more units than Wii and X360 then I suppose you can claim a victory for Sony.

But, as you wrote, "we don't know the final score yet," which argues against the notion that PS3 has achieved the greatest comeback ever and, for that matter, invalidates the premise on which this thread is based.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Then tell us when you think the race is over. When PS3 sold enough? :) This is the thing most argue about: when is the "race" over? Nintendo already quit race. So for them race is already over. Usually Sony sells their consoles longer than others so it's somehow shifted.

Well, the race is over when there is no possibility of any change in the ranking. And Nintendo forfeiting doesn't mean the race is over.

It took over 6 and a half years to erase the XBox 360s first year lead of 6 million sales. The XBox 360 cheated by launching a year ahead of the PS3. On average the PS3 has outsold the XBox 360 by 1 million consoles per year. Next stop is for the PS3 to sell over 100 million console systems ltd and follow in the footsteps of the PS1 and PS2.

Lawlight said:
walsufnir said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lawlight said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well, the race is over when there is no possibility of any change in the ranking. And Nintendo forfeiting doesn't mean the race is over.

Thanks for your opinion to this.

The console sales war is a marathon, not a 100 metre sprint. It is like a race between the hare and the tortoise. The hare takes the lead, falls asleep but ends up losing the race.The PS3 will eventually end up outselling the Wii in total ltd sales and claim first place in the console sales wars. The PS3 can still sell for a few more years despite its sales declining over time as the new system builds its sales momentum. The PS3 still has price cuts up its sleeve and we all know the PS2 still continued to sell well in the early years of the PS3.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

i dont know what news you read or watch but it would be considered a come back. lol. thats whats funny about this thread. next time i see media do it i will post the link. happens all the time