By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is no one talking about the very recent failures from Microsoft? PC market hurting and a 5% stock drop

Why isn't this bigger news?

Old News 27 18.88%

No one Cares 44 30.77%

Microsoft is d00med! 33 23.08%

Holy Crap, I didn't know about this! 14 9.79%

Meeh 25 17.48%

Total:143

How come this isn't a bigger topic? MS has clearly failed with Windows 8, and as a consequences the PC market is hurting and MS's stock dropped 5% - yet, this isn't being discussed here? Or is this old news and I just haven't seen it?

I've also tried to see if this is news on a few other site, mostly News sites (such as the Sun, the Times, the NY Times) but it's barely being reported.

The only news I found about this is these two articles: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250889/pc-shipments-on-record-decline-in-q1-2013/

And from a Swedish newspaper: http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/branscher/teknik-och-telekom/nya-windows-bakom-rekordras-for-datorer_8073350.svd This is a translation from a part of the story (using Google Translate, and NOT correcting the translation myself): 

Sales of PCs fell by 14 percent during the first three months, the biggest drop as IDC recorded since records began in 1994. According to the company, Microsoft has failed miserably with its new version of Windows. Microsoft shares plummeting nearly 5 percent on Thursday.

So, is this old news and I haven't been paying attention, or isn't it interesting, or does no one care? It's weird though, people seem very fast to criticize Sony for selling their HQ's and Nintendo for... well, everything Nintendo does apparently dooms them ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

cause we have a pc section for that stuff where we have been discussing it..

there are various reasons to the drop and it's an easy one for pc manufactures to blame MS windows 8. while there is a recession, PC's that are 4~5 years old work fine, companies, goverment agency, schools don't have the budget or the need to upgrade their stuff, nobody wants expansive ultrabooks, rise of tablets, etc etc

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Well there is also no news about that Sony shares doubled this year.
Wich is unbelievable
But as soon as their share fell like 10% everyone is writing about it, ignoring the jump from years beginning to today.

I've been following that windows stuff... and It really seems that people just don't care about that OS as much as they used to.
Who needs a laptop for internet browsing if they can just get a Tablet with android/iOs for all their needs.

I still have a windows PC for Videoediting and Adobe stuff. but everything else I can get elsewhere

NiKKoM said:

there are various reasons to the drop and it's an easy one for pc manufactures to blame MS windows 8. while there is a recession, PC's that are 4~5 years old work fine, companies, goverment agency, schools don't have the budget or the need to upgrade their stuff, nobody wants expansive ultrabooks, rise of tablets, etc etc

Aaah, yeah, that would explain the lack of threads I guess... And why I haven't seen it =)

I do agree that there probably is more than 1 reason as to why PC sales have halted, but the drop in shares is a whole different story I haven't seen much of as well

Ultr said:

Well there is also no news about that Sony shares doubled this year.
Wich is unbelievable
But as soon as their share fell like 10% everyone is writing about it, ignoring the jump from years beginning to today.

I've been following that windows stuff... and It really seems that people just don't care about that OS as much as they used to.
Who needs a laptop for internet browsing if they can just get a Tablet with android/iOs for all their needs.

I still have a windows PC for Videoediting and Adobe stuff. but everything else I can get elsewhere

Yeah, it really seems like there is trends in whom to bash at the moment :P

Around the Network

Its already been talked about in here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158524&page=1

DanneSandin said:
NiKKoM said:

Aaah, yeah, that would explain the lack of threads I guess... And why I haven't seen it =)

I do agree that there probably is more than 1 reason as to why PC sales have halted, but the drop in shares is a whole different story I haven't seen much of as well

well it's not strange that MS took a hit after the PC numbers came out but Hewlett Packerd took a 7% hit, Lenovo 6%, Dell 2% so it's not something really to discuss when all that are involved in the PC market are hurt...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

This Pc thing is stupid. Windows 8 sold at record numbers yet pc numbers are down? It's obvious. Tablets.

Seriously.....

kowenicki said:
DanneSandin said:

How come this isn't a bigger topic? MS has clearly failed with Windows 8, and as a consequences the PC market is hurting and MS's stock dropped 5% - yet, this isn't being discussed here? Or is this old news and I just haven't seen it?

I've also tried to see if this is news on a few other site, mostly News sites (such as the Sun, the Times, the NY Times) but it's barely being reported.

The only news I found about this is these two articles: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250889/pc-shipments-on-record-decline-in-q1-2013/

And from a Swedish newspaper: http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/branscher/teknik-och-telekom/nya-windows-bakom-rekordras-for-datorer_8073350.svd This is a translation from a part of the story (using Google Translate, and NOT correcting the translation myself): 

Sales of PCs fell by 14 percent during the first three months, the biggest drop as IDC recorded since records began in 1994. According to the company, Microsoft has failed miserably with its new version of Windows. Microsoft shares plummeting nearly 5 percent on Thursday.

So, is this old news and I haven't been paying attention, or isn't it interesting, or does no one care? It's weird though, people seem very fast to criticize Sony for selling their HQ's and Nintendo for... well, everything Nintendo does apparently dooms them ;)

there was a thread about the PC drop in the last couple of days.

Also the MSFT share price jumped over the days leaidng up to the drop, so the drop isnt remotely significamt. Its still higher than it was a week ago.  Why didnt you ask why the MSFT share price had jumped the day before?

Because I wasn't aware of it.

No need to be so defencive =)

Nsanity said:
Its already been talked about in here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158524&page=1

Well, there you go =)

/Thread