By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games and share on console

I have corrected the original data to show that it was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The FPS genre is not my fave (though I loved Black Ops), so I got confused.

@JoeTheBro

The math was simple -- total sales of game as a percent of total sales of console. The assumption is that if you bought a console, you had the console -- and thus you could buy any game ever released for that console. And while games do go "out of print" -- the big sellers generally stick around (and why I usually only looked at the biggest seller in each genre -- which tended to be the most recently released game).

@Soleron

True. Replacement consoles -- especially 360 -- would lead to fewer total possible sales. But it also would overstate the true number of consoles out there, a point which people don't often make when talking about sales of Console X overtaking Console Y. (Hopefully Microsoft did not count all the units it sent out as RRoD replacements as "sales" in its data.)

I kept it simple for this analysis since I don't have access to replacement ownership or common ownership data. And I did note that in my stated assumptions.

Even accounting for these issues, I feel the point that the stated "universal" gaming experiences as portrayed in gaming culture and media are not really so universal stands.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
I have corrected the original data to show that it was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The FPS genre is not my fave (though I loved Black Ops), so I got confused.

@JoeTheBro

The math was simple -- total sales of game as a percent of total sales of console. The assumption is that if you bought a console, you had the console -- and thus you could buy any game ever released for that console. And while games do go "out of print" -- the big sellers generally stick around (and why I usually only looked at the biggest seller in each genre -- which tended to be the most recently released game).

@Soleron

True. Replacement consoles -- especially 360 -- would lead to fewer total possible sales. But it also would overstate the true number of consoles out there, a point which people don't often make when talking about sales of Console X overtaking Console Y. (Hopefully Microsoft did not count all the units it sent out as RRoD replacements as "sales" in its data.)

I kept it simple for this analysis since I don't have access to replacement ownership or common ownership data. And I did note that in my stated assumptions.

Even accounting for these issues, I feel the point that the stated "universal" gaming experiences as portrayed in gaming culture and media are not really so universal stands.

Don't worry, this has been confirmed to not be the case.

Barozi said:
mike_intellivision said:

@JoeTheBro

@Soleron

Don't worry, this has been confirmed to not be the case.

I would not have thought Microsoft would have counted that.  But I wanted to state that just in case.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV