By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which video game entertainment systems have aged the best?

Which video game entertainment systems have aged the best?

NES 10 4.22%

SNES 89 37.55%

Genesis/mega drive 7 2.95%

Playstation 14 5.91%

Saturn 1 0.42%

N64 11 4.64%

Dreamcast 15 6.33%

Xbox 36 15.19%

PS2 42 17.72%

GameCube 12 5.06%

Total:237

So I got my super mario 64 free today from Nintendo.  And while SOME of the textures are lo res, overall it has aged beautifully.  It looks fantastic in hi definition.  This just got me to appreciate Nintendos commitment to quality. And I looked other systems and seems to me that Nintendo is the only manufacture in the 80s and 90s that made graphics that could stand the test of time.

What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

I think most of the GameCube's games were really quite ahead of their time. Some of the textures, lighting, and overall colours used in the environments were marvelous. They really pulled games such as Super Mario Sunshine together.

yeah nintendo's consoles (and games) have aged beautifully, for example i played yoshi's island for the first time until a few months ago and i was stunned by how incredible the game looks

SNES seems to have held up the best for me. 16-bit for life!

Definitely not the first generation of 3D consoles. The PS1 seems to have aged especially horribly. Nowadays I can't figure out how I even played some of my favorite games on that thing.

It's the 360. I played a game just yesterday on that 8 year old grandpa and it looked great!

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
It's the 360. I played a game just yesterday on that 8 year old grandpa and it looked great!

I hadn't really considered that. Simply incredible!

SNES games have and always will look fabulous.

SNES, but a close second is the gamecube.

I'm making a runthrough of Metroid Prime, it is absolutely stunning. Wind Waker looks better than a lot of the stuff I play today. Pikmin 1 and 2 are other great examples.

N64 is the worst, I can't even play that system. Tried to play DK64 yesterday and I just couldn't do it.

SNES and N64 by a mile :)

Mensrea said:
SNES, but a close second is the gamecube.

I'm making a runthrough of Metroid Prime, it is absolutely stunning. Wind Waker looks better than a lot of the stuff I play today. Pikmin 1 and 2 are other great examples.

N64 is the worst, I can't even play that system. Tried to play DK64 yesterday and I just couldn't do it.

lol I couldn't play DK64 when it was brand new!  I've heard ppl say they enjoyed it.  But if it hadn't come with the ram upgrade I would've got a refund immediately.