By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what games have the best box art?

tonymarraffa said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Ooh I like this topic. There are some really good ones out there, most of there best cover art are from niche games that everyone forgets about. I'll see what I can find in my library of games and I'll post them below:

NOTE: Right Click and choose "View Image" to see full size.

Panzer Dragoon (Japan Cover) - Sega Saturn

Monster World IV (Japan Cover) Genesis

ICO (Japan Cover) - PS2

GunLord - NeoGeo/Dreamcast

Alisia Dragoon - Sega Genesis

Snatcher - Sega CD

Star Fox (Japanese) - SNES

Doom - PC

If I think of more I'll post them later.

We have a winner!

Lol, I'm not sure how I won or what I won, but I'm glad you like my picks. We must have similar taste in art. Which means you have excellent taste in art.

Around the Network
hinch said:

One of my all time favourites (box art included!)

I'm sure the "LOVE STORY" part of the title sold many copies. /sarcasm

Indeed, the cover is the main thing to blame for why the sequel sold so poorly compared to the first.

a) make an artsy fartsy cover

b) make the game sell

Choose one. If it was me I'd choose a normal cover and hang this in some dinky gallery. ICO cover is another great example. While the US cover is poorly made, it doesn't make the European cover any less pretentious. And I don't need to tell you which one sold better.

kain_kusanagi said:
KHlover said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Ooh I like this topic. There are some really good ones out there, most of there best cover art are from niche games that everyone forgets about. I'll see what I can find in my library of games and I'll post them below:

ICO (Japan Cover) - PS2

Snatcher - Sega CD

Doom - PC

Are you kidding? We are all aware that this

is the ICO box art....pffffffffffft

Yuck. I hate the US cover so much that I printed the Japanese one I posted above and replaced it. It's a crime that the US version tossed out such amazing and subtle art for such a crappy half assed cover.

Relevant trope: American Kirby is hardcore

LemonSlice said:
hinch said:

Indeed, the cover is the main thing to blame for why the sequel sold so poorly compared to the first.

b) make the game sell

Choose one. If it was me I'd choose a normal cover and hang this in some dinky gallery. ICO cover is another great example. While the US cover is poorly made, it doesn't make the European cover any less pretentious. And I don't need to tell you which one sold better.

Dear god, please tell me you are trolling right now...

kain_kusanagi said:
tonymarraffa said:
kain_kusanagi said:

ICO (Japan Cover) - PS2

Snatcher - Sega CD

Doom - PC

We have a winner!

Lol, I'm not sure how I won or what I won, but I'm glad you like my picks. We must have similar taste in art. Which means you have excellent taste in art.

Yes I share a love of art with you, but I don't have the amazing artistic talent you have!

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:

we have a winner everybody! thats it i guess i have to ask a mod to lock this thread since nothing else can beat this!

this one is badass

Best ones ever! Pure creativity

LemonSlice said:
hinch said:

[Pic]

b) make the game sell

Bleh, thats the exact reason why a lot of TPS/FPS titles have generic covers on them. Random guy with a gun looking "badass" will always sell more than more arty designs. Look at the Bioshock Infinite cover for example :/

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw