By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Interview: Michael Pachter: "I don’t hate Nintendo at all"

KHlover said:
JakDaSnack said:
I don't get all of this 3rd party support talk. I mean sure, 3rd party helped sell the ps1/2/3 and the xbox 360. But for Nintendo, has 3rd party ever really helped sales for nintendo? I mean, the only comparison would be the nes and snes eras, but I feel that first party games sold those consoles far more than 3rd party. And Even though Nintendo had a lot of good 3rd party support for the gamecube, it didn't seem to help. And the first party games are what sold the wii. So where is all this "The wiiU needs 3rd party support" coming from? Are people assuming that since the ps3 and 360 needed 3rd party support to sell their systems, that the wiiU somehow needs it?

1.) Haters who wouldn't buy the system anyways

2.) Legimate fans who simply project their desire for 3rd party games on the success of the console.

That's what I figured

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network

Pachter, just like many others (Including myself), just don't see the point in the Gamepad.

I still believe it is one of the main detractors of the WiiU.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I don't know if he hates Nintendo, but he usually sounds more like a fan than an analyst. "Nintendo is a poor company with a bad CEO" or whatever he said, and "PS4 will offer photorealism" or whatever he said there. Regardless, he's been wrong on almost everything he's ever said so I'm still baffled people pay attention to him. And it would be foolish for Nintendo to ditch their money-making hardware business. As an analyst, he should be critical of Sony and MS's poor gaming business models, not the only one that actually makes money.

That was a good interview from both sides. Solid questions, realistic answers. Not bad, Pachie.

I never thought he hated Nintendo, I just think he likes poking at some of Nintendo's more paranoid and sensitive fanboys. I also think he switches his style to go along with his audience, which is why some people think he is sometimes more of a fan than a professional.

I like the guy, he's entertaining. He's also right about some of Nintendo's philosophies and problems. They've made far too many mistakes recently.

To me Pachter seems one of those people, who dislikes others who he can't really understand.

It would be a rather human thing.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I don't see anything wrong in this interview. I don't see any Nintendo hating here, and I think Pachter is right about almost everything in this piece. That's not to say that he's always right and doesn't say stupid things, because he does, but I think that Nintendo fans just don't like him because he points out flaws with their favourite company.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

"MP: As long as Satoru Iwata is president, I expect Nintendo to continue to do exactly what it is doing.

NL: Can Nintendo become an attractive target for investors again?

MP: As long as Nintendo continues to do what it is doing, I don’t expect the stock to be attractive to investors."

So it basically reads: As long as Satoru Iwata is president, the Nintendo stock won't be attractive to investors. I like how Pachter elegantly avoids to directly blame Satoru Iwata at the end of the interview, but actually does just that.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I'm still baffled people pay attention to him

He's simply saying what his target audience like to hear. Truth or facts are not relevant.

I doubt Pachter actually "hates" any company just for the sake of some kind of fanboy allegiance. I feel that whenever Pachter makes a statement he tries to say what seems the most rational to him given the information he is given. Like for example, if asked the question of whether a console would be successful without much 3rd party support, most people including Pachter himself would give the rational answer "No" and thus he came to the conclusion that the Wii U wouldn't be successful without 3rd party support.

Unfortunately for him though, the gaming industry doesn't seem to follow common logic. Nintendo 1st party games can be revolutionary enough (as was the case with Wii) that they can carry the hardware sales just by themselves. So as much as people like to hate on him, I don't think there is very much he can do. He doesn't have some kind of crystal ball that lets him see how the future turns out or how every single new addition by a company would affect the overall landscape on gaming. He just tries to make the most logical prediction using past experience and I think most investors understand that, which is why he still has his job. There's just huge uncertainties involved and investors take that into account.

He doesn't hate Nintendo, he just passionately and over zealously disagrees with anything and everything they do.

The rEVOLution is not being televised