By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tales PS Vita games haven’t been brought to North America due to poor sales

RolStoppable said:
[...]

D: Completely off-topic but Rol you changed your whole theme, I almost didn't recognize you!

Around the Network

Even with a bigger install base tales games won't doing much more and tales games won't boost usa psvita sale

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

As I said earlier, this is bullshit. The DS couldn't get either of its 3 Tales games localized and it had a giant fanbase. Namco just wants a scapegoat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
As I said earlier, this is bullshit. The DS couldn't get either of its 3 Tales games localized and it had a giant fanbase. Namco just wants a scapegoat.

Maybe they're afraid because nintendo DS is  a very hacked console .

You can visit this blog for Zero no Kiseki and Sen no Kiseki guide

http://wajinokiseki.blogspot.be/

Gunotak said:
outlawauron said:

Maybe they're afraid because nintendo DS is  a very hacked console .

Well, we know that isn't the real reason considering the inconsistencies with what Namco did and the realities of other consoles and handhelds.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Scisca said:

All this doesn't change the fact that he said Vita isn't doing good enough. C'mon, before the price cut Japan was the last region in sales! They managed to get ahead of NA and on par with Europe only thanks to the recent push Sony made, they may easily fall back to the last place if Sony cuts the price in the West soon. West is outselling Japan 2:1 and still that's too few Vitas for them just to translate the bloody game? It's Vita, they can just translate it and put the game on the PS Store, I'm sure the sales will top the costs of localisation. If they feel extra insecure about the sales, they could even leave the Japanese voices and just translate the subtitles (though I wouldn't like this). Still, this sounds like a really stupid decision. They are just running away from possible profit for no real reason at all.

"Possible". Likely it won't do well enough at all.

If companies like Square and Nintendo won't release niche Japanese games on the basis of "possible" (Lol no 100%) profit, what makes you think a company like Namco will release a niche handheld JPRG that didn't even sell or was reviewed that well in Japan in the 1st place?

They don't owe you anything. The bottom line is that the game won't sell well enough for them to consider localizing it. Besides I'm sure Sony will cut the price in the West right after they get a decent shooter on it. 

Considering there are companies that operate solely to localise and distribute niche Japanese games in the West (XSEED) it has to be a profitable business. You give the example of Nintendo - do you remember Operation Rainfall? Why didn't Nintendo bring these games to NA even though they've already localised and released them in Europe? The Wii sales were too low in NA? Do you really think the possibility of profiting was that low not to take that risk? I think the Japanese companies just don't care, cause even though it's sure money, it's not huge money. But at the same time they are hurting the jRPG market in the West and making it impossible for more gamers to get into these games. It's just a bad business model.

Remember that we don't have to buy as many games as the Japanese! If Namco thinks it's ok to develop the game for the Japanese market alone, it means they get profit from that market alone, hence the development costs are already covered. The money earned in the West just has to cover the costs of localisation to be pure additional profit and I will not believe that a game with such a brand like "Tales of" won't sell good enough to cover that. But I guess we're gonna see when "Ys" gets released.

Do you really believe that a price cut in the West will change anything in the minds of the Japanese? Like others have said, they have a very bad track record in this matter and are pretty stubborn. Thank god for XSEED!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

outlawauron said:

Well, we know that isn't the real reason considering the inconsistencies with what Namco did and the realities of other consoles and handhelds.

:)

The problem is  that Japanese publishers don't make SURVEY . So they can't predict how many customers would like to buy their games :( .

There are not enough advertise and the official games site don't talk enough about J-RPG. It is SAD .

Few months ago ,I just discovered the games made by NIHON FALCOM  ( Ys  and Legend of Heroes) .  You can see the 2 images below my comments.

Scisca said:

Considering there are companies that operate solely to localise and distribute niche Japanese games in the West (XSEED) it has to be a profitable business. You give the example of Nintendo - do you remember Operation Rainfall? Why didn't Nintendo bring these games to NA even though they've already localised and released them in Europe? The Wii sales were too low in NA? Do you really think the possibility of profiting was that low not to take that risk? I think the Japanese companies just don't care, cause even though it's sure money, it's not huge money. But at the same time they are hurting the jRPG market in the West and making it impossible for more gamers to get into these games. It's just a bad business model.

Remember that we don't have to buy as many games as the Japanese! If Namco thinks it's ok to develop the game for the Japanese market alone, it means they get profit from that market alone, hence the development costs are already covered. The money earned in the West just has to cover the costs of localisation to be pure additional profit and I will not believe that a game with such a brand like "Tales of" won't sell good enough to cover that. But I guess we're gonna see when "Ys" gets released.

Do you really believe that a price cut in the West will change anything in the minds of the Japanese? Like others have said, they have a very bad track record in this matter and are pretty stubborn. Thank god for XSEED!

Yeah  XSEED is our savior !!  The BIG publishers want to sell a LOOOT of copy . If they there aren't enough sold copy  => STOP . It is really sad.

Take a look at this interview : 

http://operationrainfall.com/interview-xseed-games/

It talks about all steps for localizing a game . Sadly there are not numbers but approximation .  Enjoy !!

Otakumegane said:
kupomogli said:
teigaga said:
I really hoped someone has actually worked out the math of what is required to get it localised and thus how many they need to sell to get their money back.

When the kickstarter failed, Class of Heroes 2 required atleast 2500 sign ups to preorders to receive a physical release.  So assuming the number is around 1000-2000 copies to break even.  That's without localization since the localization was already done. 

If just translating and inputting all the text I wouldn't see it costing too much, but then there's all the voice acting and I have no idea how much that'd cost. 

Don't forget shipping costs.

There are no shipping costs if they just put it on PSN.

Gunotak said:
outlawauron said:

:)

The problem is  that Japanese publishers don't make SURVEY . So they can't predict how many customers would like to buy their games :( .

There are not enough advertise and the official games site don't talk enough about J-RPG. It is SAD .

Few months ago ,I just discovered the games made by NIHON FALCOM  ( Ys  and Legend of Heroes) .  You can see the 2 images below my comments.

So did I :) Just recently bought the Persona 2 Innocent Sin + Trails in the Sky pack due to the nice price cut :) The problem we get with most games that do get released is that we don't get all parts af a Saga and miss out on huge chunks of the story just like with Trails. Hopefully we'll get the second and third part, especially if more people buy the first part now when it's actually affordable. On the other hand sometimes we get something like Persona 2. Innocent Sin (part one) is a PSP remake, while Eternal Punishment (part two) is PSX original, only available in NA :( Still, this is better than nothing. Well, would be if Eternal Punishment PSX was available in Europe :P

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Sucks, but it's true. I don't think that's the whole truth though. Let's see what excuse they come up with when sales do pick up, there's nothing stopping them from localising many other Tales games on platforms with large install bases.