By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 could very well have turned the corner (in Europe anyway).

dp666 said:

So in the end it doesent really matter if you buy a PS3 or a 360, because you get the same games.

Wrong!

Especially in Europe. For those gamers that understand foreign languages (like american english or japanese), the PS3 is higher value, because then we can get, for less money, games from the USA and Japan, some of them that will never be released in Europe. That's thanks to no region coding.

At least,  to me, that's one of the few things Sony did right.

Around the Network
dp666 said:
PS3 is outselling 360 WW, but onlx by 30.000 units. It will take a long time for Sony to become No. 2 in the actual generation. Maybe in late 2009.

There are too many multi games for PS360, which sell really good, like COD4, Burnout and AC. 3rd devs will not go exclusive if they have good sales on both consoles.
So in the end it doesent really matter if you buy a PS3 or a 360, because you get the same games.

True, but it will be the exclusive games and games that are associated with that console that sell the system eventually.

Just for some information; look at the top ten selling games on either system:

360:

1. Halo3
  2. Gears of War
  3. Call of Duty 4
  4. Forza Motorsport 2 
  5. Assassins Creed
  6. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  7. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  9. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

3 exclusive games and 7 multiplatform games 

PS3:

1. Motorstorm
  2. Resistance: Fall of Man
  3. Call of Duty 4
  4. Assassins Creed
  5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
  6. Fifa 08
  7. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune 
  8. Need for Speed: ProStreet 
  9. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  10. Heavenly Sword

4 exclusives games and 6 multiplatform games

I fully expect the PS3 top ten to include more and more exclusive games as the year progresses, and it's becoming apparent that gamers are buying the PS3 for these exclusive games. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Exclusive(x360 is dead and not coming to Wii) PS3 games, which will come in 2008.

2008 Japanese games(MGS4, Jakuza3, Disgaea3, DMC4, WKS, FFXIII, GT5, Tekken6, Soul Calibur4, Eternal Sonata, Lost Planet, Armored Core, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean4/RE5(maybe 2009), Naruto, Silent Hill 5, Last Remnant, AC6, Valkyrie and etc.)

2007 Japanes games(Shin Sangoku Musou 5, Gundam Musou, PES2008 -> though sequels of these games can easy come in 2008; Minna no Golf 5, GT5P, Blade Storm -> these are all games, which passed 100k number in 2007).

SEE the difference.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

dont forget rock band... gonna sell good to.

Xbox360 and Ps3 owner

I spit in your mouth at nite

In europe, Ps3 has actually been outselling 360 each week since 6th october! That is now 16 weeks! Some weeks it also managed to beat the Wii!

The software has just recently passed the 360 too. 4 weeks in a row it has beaten X360.

And it gets even better for Europe. This is total others, and Europe is even better for Ps3.

If you look here http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39040&end=39474

The Ps3 is constantly beating the 360, and lately, it has come closer to the Wii each week, although it is still far away.

The UK is also facing a change. The 360s each week gap is closing, they are getting closer to even each week all the time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

Future definitely seems good in Europe, will be interesting to see how the big releases perform. Europe could well prevent the ps3 from dipping below 100k at any time this year though Japan also looks much better compared to the same period last year.

Yes its has turned a corner.. Its on the rise. Not trying to be a fanboy. But i can see ps3 not dropping for a couple of years...

I don't usually comment on these types of threads, but will now.

I don't think PS3 ever had a corner to turn in Europe, it's sold decently there since launch. Admittedly the price cut and introduction has boosted sales a lot, but sales weren't dire in the first place.

Where it does have a corner to turn is Japan. Most of my favourite games are Japanese, and I'm a bit of graphics whore, so I'd be really disappointed if the PS3 never took off in Japan. At one point last year it was really looking like it might die there, but sales seem to have improved somewhat the beginning of this year. Still, 20Gb & 60Gb are just about to be discontinued, so we don't know yet if decent sales in January are down to people snapping them up before they're gone yet. To be honest the number of games which appeal to Japanese gamers has been pathetically low since the PS3 has been released, so maybe that can help PS3 this year.

As for US, I didn't think PS3 would ever seriously compete there after seeing monthly NPD numbers, but this was never a big concern as most big US games are multi-platform now anyway. Now, whilst 360 outsold PS3 by 400K or so in December, PS3 had closed the market share gap quite a bit compare to whilst it was getting outsold 2-3/1 every month and PS3 sales were pathetic there. I think a big sign if at has turned the corner there will be if it matches or outsells 360 outside of MGS4 month. Equally, if 360 manages to outsell PS3 in MGS4 month, then that will be a big sign that PS3 can never compete there.

Well, anyway, hope that explains why I think Europe is more of a slight curve than a corner when compared to Japan and NA.

davygee said:

With this weeks sales figures in for Europe (Others), it  looks like sales of the PS3 have broken the 4m barrier and in only 10 months on the market, selling on average 400k units every month in Others.

On top of this we are now seeing an upward turn of sales.

Burnout Paradise was released last week (Friday 25th to be precise) and it sold some 12k more on the PS3 than the 360.  To top this off, the 360 has only 2 titles in the top 20 sales of the week with Burnout Paradise and COD4, whereas  the PS3 has a decent 4 titles including Burnout, COD4, Assassins Creed and Uncharted.

Also sales of COD4 are selling more on the PS3 than the 360 and Assassins Creed as has been since it's release has sold more on the PS3 than the 360.

Overall the PS3 sold 20k more consoles than the 360 and sold a whopping 55k more games than the 360.

All in all, it looks like the PS3 is getting a steady stream on console and game sales whereas the 360 is decreasing all the time.

What will happen over the next few months?  Well DMC4 will be released shortly, but apart from this, there won't be any big hitters until GTA4 appears on 28th April, and going on recent track record, it could very well sell more on the PS3 than the 360.

The Price cut and holiday season gave the PS3 a really nice boost in "The Other" region, even though it was already selling adequately there in the first place. Without any further price reductions, the PS3 will average between 55,000 and 75,000 units per week in "The Other" region(with occasional boosts beyond that level for big game releases).

At the same time, the XBox 360 will (likely) get the equilivalent of a $100 price reduction in "The Other" region and will also see a boost in sales.

HappySqurriel said:

The Price cut and holiday season gave the PS3 a really nice boost in "The Other" region, even though it was already selling adequately there in the first place. Without any further price reductions, the PS3 will average between 55,000 and 75,000 units per week in "The Other" region(with occasional boosts beyond that level for big game releases).

At the same time, the XBox 360 will (likely) get the equilivalent of a $100 price reduction in "The Other" region and will also see a boost in sales.

I agree and can see the 360 getting a price reduction right before GTA4 comes out.  Although I honestly feel that Sony can do the same as well.

The only negative for MS is that currently they are selling a significant amount less units compared to the more expensive PS3, so what kind of price cut will they introduce?  The Core and Arcade consoles are a waste of time basically, so it's between the Premium and Elite which sell for £250 & £280.  You can pick up a 40Gb PS3 for £280 in the UK so the PS3 is competing with the Elite straight off.

To make a dent, I believe that MS will have to reduce the Premium to £199 and include a few games as well to compete properly.  Maybe a £199 Premium with GTA4 would be the way to go....but a £50 price drop as well as a free completely new game????  Can they afford it? 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)