By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A History of Massive Mistakes

Who is the most arrogant idiot?

Nintendo - discs are for ... 16 13.01%

Sony - people will pay wh... 41 33.33%

Microsoft - we want to wa... 48 39.02%

Atari - ET!! 18 14.63%

Total:123

It's gonna be interesting when the next Xbox is revealed without requiring an always-on internet connection and it turns out this was all a load of hot air.

Will all the fans who have been defending the always-on connection be really disappointed?

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
sales2099 said:
Im starting to see the point of the Xbox Online connection. Your phone is always connected to your providers network, your cable box is always connected, so why not Xbox?

Since when do we care what less developed countries can or can't do with Xbox, so long as we ourselves have it? Since when did selfish and fan centric gamers care about less fortunate? lol please....this is yet another excuse to bash MS when the issue doesn't effect people here...since we all have internet to be able to post here.

MS can easily do a firmware update or make it optional in countries that have spotty internet anyway.

The problem is, a phone's job is to communicate with other people. It needs to be connected because that is it's fundamental purpose.  The cable box's job is to bring tv into your home. That is what it does.

A game system's purpose is to play games.  You don't need a connection to play games.  Every system I've owned so far has done a fine job of it.  You only need connection if you  are playing online multiplayer.  Most of my games I am quite content playing solo.

I don't mind optional online additions to single player, like the Miiverse addition to NSMBU.  But forcing a connection is stupid.  It's also for purposes that are not int he best interest of gamers.  MS wants it to gain customer research data, to prevent piracy and possibly to block sharing/used games.  None of this is good, and the technical issues that could arrise could be awful.

Well if they wanna go full out cable box, like were gonna see it displayed in every internet providers store alongside cell phones and cable boxes, then thats some serious market penetration that PS4 and WiiU can't touch. That thought alone is very interesting.

So that said, if they are doing anything thats not the above, then this would be truly pointless.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I hope the rumors are fake for microsoft. My connection is good, but always online even for single player games or offline games seems like a pain.

sales2099 said:

And why is NA internet supposedly "shitty" when we are so developed?

Because it's a huge continent with lots of rural places?

When you say stuff - kidding or not - like Adam Orth did, "Why the fuck would I want to live in Janesville, WI?" you are essentially saying, "Why the fuck would I want people in Janesville, WI, to buy an Xbox?" And if that is really Microsoft's attitude, there is a good chance those people won't.

Immortal said:
I hate the misconception about Nintendo and CDs. Nintendo tried incredibly hard to get CDs incredibly early. The reason PS1 beat them to it is that Nintendo ended up with horrible negotiations every time they tried to get CDs (which is what resulted in the PlayStation in the first place). This was completely not their fault in terms of wrong market strategy.

Being incompatible with DVDs doesn't mean anything, either. Nobody buys Nintendo consoles to watch movies and inability to play DVDs didn't hurt the Wii. As for the purple, well...

Your misconception is a misconception.  The Sega CD was released in 1991, the Turbo CD in 1990. Sega had no problem getting the Saturn going in 1994.  CDRoms were common place on PC's.   If Nintendo was unable to get a good deal in place to have a CD drive when the N64 launched in 1996 they have no one to blame but themselves.  The SNES launced in 1990, they had 6 years to find a partner.  They just messed up.

Also, no one bought a Gamecube to watch DVD's because you can't watch DVD's on it, silly.  If you could, maybe a few people would have actually bought it instead of a PS2.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
sales2099 said:

And why is NA internet supposedly "shitty" when we are so developed?

Because it's a huge continent with lots of rural places?

When you say stuff - kidding or not - like Adam Orth did, "Why the fuck would I want to live in Janesville, WI?" you are essentially saying, "Why the fuck would I want people in Janesville, WI, to buy an Xbox?" And if that is really Microsoft's attitude, there is a good chance those people won't.

Hey, this is just from one MS employee, and im sure he is in quite a bit of trouble with the higher-ups.

So thats why Europe has better internet? Because everyone is all clustered together and therefore not stretched thin? makes sense.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

Hey, this is just from one MS employee, and im sure he is in quite a bit of trouble with the higher-ups.

Well, I'd hope so. Whether he was seriously trying to do damage control over an actual feature of the Nextbox or he was just (as he claims) trolling his friend, he has brought a motherfucking shitstorm upon his company. He ought to be out the door after this.

Areym said:
sales2099 said:
Im starting to see the point of the Xbox Online connection. Your phone is always connected to your providers network, your cable box is always connected, so why not Xbox?

Since when do we care what less developed countries can or can't do with Xbox, so long as we ourselves have it? Since when did selfish and fan centric gamers care about less fortunate? lol please....this is yet another excuse to bash MS when the issue doesn't effect people here...since we all have internet to be able to post here.

MS can easily do a firmware update or make it optional in countries that have spotty internet anyway.

I knew xbox fans would start defending the always-connected thing, granted it is still just a rumor and i HIGHLY doubt it's true. It was only a matter of time. It's a stupid,no matter how you spin it, don't fool yourself.

This. The brainwashing begins.

Sony issue, no huge mistake to put something on Blu-ray. At least not the way you make it out to be.
Microsoft issue, that's not historical as you suggest in the title. It might become one though.
Nintendo, their decision (forced or not) meant a great shift in the console selling business. So yeah, that's what you might call a big mistake.

sales2099 said:
Lafiel said:
sales2099 said:

Personally I don't want to be dependend on my or a companies servers' internet connection to just play some console games.

Ya, I agree we should play a game offline regardless of connection and it should be allowed, good thing that is something that can be easily remedied with a simple firmware update.

So  you pretty much agree that a console that must always be online is a bad idea and there's nothing wrong with us consumers wanting to keep our rights that we've enjoyed the past 40 years as gamers. How does that not contradict your first post?