By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How my Wii died - an engagement tragedy...

Hi all,

I have a bit of a story for you. My Wii is dead (will need to be sent off to Nintendo for repairs), and I'm not happy - or the relishing 2+ weeks without it.

I have been in Sydney for the last 4 days - for an engagement party (actually *my* engagement - although the actual engagement took place a few months back).

We decided to take the Wii (more my fiancee's decision than mine, but an idea we were back positive about) to the party - for playing prior to the event, and actually having it setup at the event for everyone to checkout (we had also promised on a couple of young nephews it would be there).

Everything was going great Wii-wise. It was setup on a nice Plasma wide screen TV, running in 480p - and looking great. Both my mother and my brother had played Wii Sports (neither play games regularly, and my mother has basically never played a video game in her life). My mother loved Wii Sports - and actually kicked our butts in bowling from the first game (I *was* impressed!)

Sat night - I went to a friends place (to watch the cricket final - what a farce! :>). Stayed there till the morning, and when I got home the bad news was delivered. The engagement party was to start later that day.

So what actually happened?

My fiancee's sister (she is 28yrs old) - decided she wanted to play Mario on the Wii. New Super Mario that is. That's right - the DS game. So she tried to insert the DS cart into the CD slot of the Wii. It picked up the cart, and sucked it in. Its still in there, floating around.

Not surprising Wii games no longer work when inserted. Tried to shake/fish the cart out - no luck. I think I'll have even less luck opening the unit up, to remove the cart.

<sigh>

Its off to Nintendo today. Guess thats one downfall of having a self-loading slot drive... at least she will pay for any repair costs :P

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Wow... 28 years old? how? what? why?

Anyway, hope you get it back ASAP.... 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:

Wow... 28 years old? how? what? why?

Anyway, hope you get it back ASAP....

No real reason - it definitely wasn't malicious. She was just being a little impulsive, and naive (to me the thought is ridiculous... but I can see how someone who doesn't play a lot of games could make that mistake).

She thought it was working (Mario) as we have Mario on the VC... I thought that was funny.

(might get some VC time in tonight before sending it off...) 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

i bet she was laughing her ass off when it made that squeking sound, kgggghhh

anyways, you are lucky it wasnt a product made by sony cause then you either would have paid lots of money or it doesnt fall in the guarantee thingy, in which you would have needed to buy a new one, trust me i have experience.

you should be fine tho, 3-4 weeks maybe?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

saddened to hear of your wii destruction, also have to agree that the cricket was terrible! why would they have bothered with the last three overs? its a SHAM if you ask me...... ho ho ho

Around the Network

@ Neos

He will pay. This is an obvious mechanical damage. Sony service is pretty solid at least in Poland...

Off-topic:

BTW Nintendo doesn't have even one office here... you can complain nowhere. Probably it's the main reason why DS is nothing compare to PSP here (in sales terms). Same situation with Wii. It's hard to believe - almost 40 millions citizens, so small saturation of gaming market and they don't give a sh*t about it. At least Sony knows there is a potential (for example they sold almost 20k PS2 in November 2006 alone)

Edit: don't - doesn't 

Is she always trying to stick things in the wrong slots?

llewdebkram said:
Is she always trying to stick things in the wrong slots?

Hahah, this one is great ! Sometimes little hole...khem... slot interchange can be... khem nevermind

kber81 said:
@ Neos

He will pay. This is an obvious mechanical damage. Sony service is pretty solid at least in Poland...

Off-topic:

BTW Nintendo don't have even one office here... you can complain nowhere. Probably it's the main reason why DS is nothing compare to PSP here (in sales terms). Same situation with Wii. It's hard to believe - almost 40 millions citizens, so small saturation of gaming market and they don't give a sh*t about it. At least Sony knows there is a potential (for example they sold almost 20k PS2 in November 2006 alone)

OT:

You tend to forget that Nintendo only makes Consoles and nothing else. Sony on the other hand makes a plethora of other things which makes the maintaining cost of a Service center affordable.

Once again: You CANNOT compare Sony or Microsoft with Nintendo as an entreprise 

kber81 said:
@ Neos

Yeah, am expecting to have to pay. Just hoping the drive isn't damaged and it doesn't warrant a new unit completely. Also suspect my SD card slot is busted (may be wrong), no real idea why (unrelated issue - from months ago).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website