By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony exclusives that went multiplat have largely failed

Is this truth>?

yes 168 42.21%

maybe 58 14.57%

no 172 43.22%

Total:398
oniyide said:
enditall727 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
enditall727 said:

you have to remember that Square cut a MAJOR load of content from the ps3 version of FF13 to fit on 3 360 discs

FF13 would've been a better overall game

we will never know what FF13 was REALLY supposed to be like

but what's done is done

Now it wasn't. That is a myth. FF13 was almost certainly finished and ready to go when at the last minute it was delayed to be ported to 360. It would have been the exact same game had it been a PS3 exclusive. Stuff gets cut from all games during development for many reasons. Everything that was cut from FF13 was most probably cut before it was ported, which is normal for game development. There is no evidence to suggest that the game was changed in any way due to the limited disc space of the 360. The 360 version was compressed and put on multiple discs and that's the only difference.

The most evidence we have is that it WAS cut to fit the 3 360 discs

that doesnt explain anything, the bluray discs have more space, there are a few multiplat games that came out on more than one disc for 360 that didnt need so for PS3, doesnt automatically mean stuff was cut. And what was the stuff that was cut? Wasnt most of the game done BEFORE they even started porting to 360? How much was done before they were even approached by MS? They never said. Im not buying it, I think they made a crappy game and when they were found out they tried to shift the blame to 360

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/24/lightings-house-was-cut-from-final-fantasy-xiii-but-you-can-see-pictures-of-it/

"Artwork was created for Lightning's living room and bedroom. You could practically walk through Lightning's house. However due to space issues the island was cut from FFXII"

Like you said, this supposed space issue is obviously not from the BluRay side.

There were several Artworks released for FFXIII that depicted unvisited areas by the time that game released. A few of them appear eerily similar to FFXIII2 locals. When this was pointed out, these images vanished from the internet, as did the comments from disgruntle SE devs that said during the porting process they were told that several plot points were dropped due to "space limitations" and it was important to fit no more than 3 discs(as MS was waving their fee attached to shipping on multiple discs). I will continue to see if I can find it....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
enditall727 said:

FF fans haven't been happy with the series since FFX (2001). People weren't happy with 11, 12, or 14. But 13 is the only game with a scapegoat for Sony fans.

the majority of Sony fans i've seen didn't like FF13 either. FF13 was the 1 that seemed to look more "normal" but then all this sh!t happened and square started releasing all this "cut content" and fitting on specifically "3 dvd9"discs came out and what not

I wasn't saying Sony fans like FF13. I'm saying it was another game in series that disappointed.

I believe these quotes more than the crap you're presuming.

"There wasn't all this other stuff that we wanted to include but had to cut. It was more of a selective process you'd find in any development process, where there were a lot of ideas but then we chose the best of those to include in the final game. The things that were cut either didn't make sense in the storyline, would slow down the pace of the game or were otherwise unnecessary."

"There is no plan for these things that were cut -- because they weren't essential to the game -- to be revived as downloadable content," laughing as he remarked that he wouldn't want to add back in the stuff he didn't think should be in there in the first place.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/15/yoshinori-kitase-cut-final-fantasy-xiii-content-will-not-return/

Shit gets cut when they make video games, movies, and other forms of media. Frankly, I can think of some games that could have been a lot better if they cut out some content.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

007BondAgent said:
scottie said:
@ The prof - while I have no evidence as to what extent this is true, I believe that to some large degree, you are confusing cause and effect.

Which seems more reasonable to you on the face of it.

"Due to taking a step that usually increases sales, sales decreased"

or

"Due to expectations that sales would decrease, developers took steps that would normally increase sales".

For instance, FF13 was a bad game, it was a bad game before the 360 version came out. The devs released it on 2 consoles to sell more. There reason it sold poorly was because it was bad, not because it was multiplat.

how was ff13 bad? when did a meta of 83 become bad?

Never look at the number of a review, it misleads more than it helps. For example, GTA4 is the highest rated game ever on metacritic. If you want to learn anything from a review, first look at the reviewer's history, what sort of games they were positive about and why Again, do not simply use the number here, read the whole review, the words are there for a reason. Do they review games for themselves or for their target audience? If the former, then ask yourself, are they the target audience of the game I'm looking at the review of. If the latter, ask themselves if YOU are the target audience. If you're reading a single review and it takes you less than 2 hours, you are going to come out knowing less than you started.

As for how it was bad:

Plot, character development, levelling system, combat mechanics, linearality. You name it, it was bad in it. The only ways it didn't completely suck are the two things that are an afterthought in games for me, sound and graphics.

But my opinion and yours don't have to be the same, nor does yours have to be the same as the popular opinion.What did you like about it?

forevercloud3000 said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/24/lightings-house-was-cut-from-final-fantasy-xiii-but-you-can-see-pictures-of-it/

"Artwork was created for Lightning's living room and bedroom. You could practically walk through Lightning's house. However due to space issues the island was cut from FFXII"

There were several Artworks released for FFXIII that depicted unvisited areas by the time that game released. A few of them appear eerily similar to FFXIII2 locals. When this was pointed out, these images vanished from the internet, as did the comments from disgruntle SE devs that said during the porting process they were told that several plot points were dropped due to "space limitations" and it was important to fit no more than 3 discs(as MS was waving their fee attached to shipping on multiple discs). I will continue to see if I can find it....

Oh fuck! That whole thing was cut! Well nevermind! We would need like 10 fucking DVDs for that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/15/yoshinori-kitase-cut-final-fantasy-xiii-content-will-not-return/

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
enditall727 said:

FF fans haven't been happy with the series since FFX (2001). People weren't happy with 11, 12, or 14. But 13 is the only game with a scapegoat for Sony fans.

the majority of Sony fans i've seen didn't like FF13 either. FF13 was the 1 that seemed to look more "normal" but then all this sh!t happened and square started releasing all this "cut content" and fitting on specifically "3 dvd9"discs came out and what not

I wasn't saying Sony fans like FF13. I'm saying it was another game in series that disappointed.

I believe these quotes more than the crap you're presuming.

"There wasn't all this other stuff that we wanted to include but had to cut. It was more of a selective process you'd find in any development process, where there were a lot of ideas but then we chose the best of those to include in the final game. The things that were cut either didn't make sense in the storyline, would slow down the pace of the game or were otherwise unnecessary."

"There is no plan for these things that were cut -- because they weren't essential to the game -- to be revived as downloadable content," laughing as he remarked that he wouldn't want to add back in the stuff he didn't think should be in there in the first place.

Shit gets cut when they make video games, movies, and other forms of media. Frankly, I can think of some games that could have been a lot better if they cut out some content.

but of course YOU would say that what i'm "presuming" is "crap"

some people only see what they want to see..

edit: hold on

Around the Network
scottie said:
007BondAgent said:
scottie said:
@ The prof - while I have no evidence as to what extent this is true, I believe that to some large degree, you are confusing cause and effect.

Which seems more reasonable to you on the face of it.

"Due to taking a step that usually increases sales, sales decreased"

or

"Due to expectations that sales would decrease, developers took steps that would normally increase sales".

For instance, FF13 was a bad game, it was a bad game before the 360 version came out. The devs released it on 2 consoles to sell more. There reason it sold poorly was because it was bad, not because it was multiplat.

how was ff13 bad? when did a meta of 83 become bad?

Never look at the number of a review, it misleads more than it helps. For example, GTA4 is the highest rated game ever on metacritic. If you want to learn anything from a review, first look at the reviewer's history, what sort of games they were positive about and why Again, do not simply use the number here, read the whole review, the words are there for a reason. Do they review games for themselves or for their target audience? If the former, then ask yourself, are they the target audience of the game I'm looking at the review of. If the latter, ask themselves if YOU are the target audience. If you're reading a single review and it takes you less than 2 hours, you are going to come out knowing less than you started.

As for how it was bad:

Plot, character development, levelling system, combat mechanics, linearality. You name it, it was bad in it. The only ways it didn't completely suck are the two things that are an afterthought in games for me, sound and graphics.

But my opinion and yours don't have to be the same, nor does yours have to be the same as the popular opinion.What did you like about it?

well i personally thought ff13 was good " it was just hated on because it didn't live to the standards of the previous ones, but that doesn't make the game itself  bad, "aliens colonial marines was bad" ff13 was just a let down, anyways nothing from the game "apart from it's graphics" stood out, but i couldn't find anything bad about it, it was a little to linear though

007BondAgent said:
scottie said:
007BondAgent said:
scottie said:

As for how it was bad:

well i personally thought ff13 was good " it was just hated on because it didn't live to the standards of the previous ones, but that doesn't make the game itself  bad, "aliens colonial marines was bad" ff13 was just a let down, anyways nothing from the game "apart from it's graphics" stood out, but i couldn't find anything bad about it, it was a little to linear though

My point was merely that the reason FFXIII sold worse than its predecessors was because it was worse than it's predecessors.

You can argue that it (when judged out of context from other FF games) was good, but then, when judged out of context of normal FF sales, 6.89 million sales is good, no?

forevercloud3000 said:
oniyide said:
enditall727 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
enditall727 said:

you have to remember that Square cut a MAJOR load of content from the ps3 version of FF13 to fit on 3 360 discs

FF13 would've been a better overall game

we will never know what FF13 was REALLY supposed to be like

but what's done is done

Now it wasn't. That is a myth. FF13 was almost certainly finished and ready to go when at the last minute it was delayed to be ported to 360. It would have been the exact same game had it been a PS3 exclusive. Stuff gets cut from all games during development for many reasons. Everything that was cut from FF13 was most probably cut before it was ported, which is normal for game development. There is no evidence to suggest that the game was changed in any way due to the limited disc space of the 360. The 360 version was compressed and put on multiple discs and that's the only difference.

The most evidence we have is that it WAS cut to fit the 3 360 discs

that doesnt explain anything, the bluray discs have more space, there are a few multiplat games that came out on more than one disc for 360 that didnt need so for PS3, doesnt automatically mean stuff was cut. And what was the stuff that was cut? Wasnt most of the game done BEFORE they even started porting to 360? How much was done before they were even approached by MS? They never said. Im not buying it, I think they made a crappy game and when they were found out they tried to shift the blame to 360

again, thats not showing me that they cut content because of 360. Nothing shown has said that content was cut cause of 360, you read space and content and atuomatically assumed its cause of 360, where is the proof? I want you, all of you to continue cause i want you to find where a SE rep said, "we had to cut content so it could fit on 3 DVD discs for 360" that would be undeniably proof. Since on one said that, that means

A) its BS and thats not what happened or B)...there is no B why would they just NOT come out and say that? it makes no sense. MS isnt anywhere near big enough to censor SE, and its not like they really need MS especially after sales of the last game. What benefit is there? Lets just say for the sake of argument it was true, according to Kitase, he himself stated what was cut was not essential to the game anyway, so there is no magical alternate universe where had it remain exclusive it would have been a better game. It would have been roughly the same, hell it might have been worst, just more hallways. What was stopping SE from just making another damn disc for 360? FF 8&9 had 4 discs and no dont say disc costs from MS cause that makes no sense either. MS went TO SE wanting FF13 for 360, MS paid for exclusive US ads; for both 13 and 13-2. MS bundled the damn game with their system. So why would they bust SE chops over another disc or two if they really needed it? They wouldnt to have one of the biggest franchises on their system that they didnt have before one would imagine they would just bend over backwards and wave those fees, if they are their to begin with. I mean, hell they spent alot of money already for that game already. 

No I think SE just sucked if we wanna "read between the lines" dont stop their. The fact that we still dont have versus 13, 13 was meh, and FF14 was horrid and we still dont have a date for the PS3 version tells me that SE just sucked on consoles this gen. It sucks, if someone told me a couple years ago that the best stuff coming out of SE would be from their Eidos branch; something that they freaking bought. I would have asked him what he was smoking and who his connect was. But here we are and no the portables dont cut it cause half those damn games are ports anyway.

kowenicki said:
Can you show me which exclusives that have remained so have done better than last gen?

I can think of one.

finalfantasy

wwe

gta

star ocean

some of these numbers are a little unfair, mostly because they don't have much to do with the platform, more just the quality of the game. Such as Final Fantasy XIII, it was a Sony exclusive in japan but still didn't preform, it just wasn't as good as the last. Same goes with Devil May Cry (not to mention a COMPLETELY different dev), the Kingdom Hearts Side Games, Metal Gear Rising was good, but Platinum games is notoriously niche. Crash Bandicoot is done by a different developer now, Persona 4 Ultimate is a completely different kind of game. The fact is more that awesome classic series new titles are not up to the standard of their predecessors, I think that is the main problem.