By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, what game studios left are considered worth getting excited over?

Eidos Montreal are working on the Thief reboot after their success on Deus Ex: HR I think it's worth being excited

Also CD Projekt RED are working on The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077

Around the Network
Cross-X said:
I hate GTA yet I support Red Dead and LA Noire. Despite me not liking Rockstar's largest franchise, you cannot deny the Rockstar will continue to pump out quality titles.

Valve, Naughty Dog, Blizzard and Bungie will always be top tier quality.

BioWare, Bethesday, Eidos, Rocksteady, Platinum, Irrational Games, Epic, Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica and many more will continue to pump out quality titles enjoyed by many.

lol for some reason I feel the same way , I just can't get into GTA

richardhutnik said:

* Crytech?  They do engines.  Farcry 3 is notable, but what about Crysis 3?  

Crytek didnt make Far Cry 3.... Ubisoft did. 

Crytek is the most overrated developer. 

9087 said:

Crytek is the most overrated developer.

I'm glad I was not the only one ! They make glorified tech demos. Unoptimised PC gaming saddens me, it just begs for a better hardware without ever maxing anything out.

Of course how could I forget From Software.

And Epic, I used to be a huge Unreal + Unreal Tournament fan but then they went all bro shooter on me and made me feel... old ! Still hope for something though.

I think the bigger question is: What closed studios were actually worth getting excited over? I can name two.

Around the Network

nintendo and platinum games

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I think most of you are missing the question. "Game studios you get excited about" not "Game studios that made a good game". Some of you may need to amend your list.

For example, who is excited about the next namco game, or without looking it up, can you even name it.
E.A. - Hardly anyone says E.A is coming out with a new title. There so big that its usually the game we're excited over not the studio.
Rocksteady did great with batman but you need more to be excited over just that studio. Same with 343, if its not halo, are you really excited over it?
Honestly bungie shouldnt be on that list. Outside of halo, what are they know for. Destiny will decide if that studio was a one trick pony or something special indeed.
The studios need to have established franchises, plural. For most to be excited over just the studio, otherwise its mostly just the title.

I'm personally interested in Quantic Dream future projects for PS4 and the next game from the creators of LA NOIRE.

There are also the indie developers to be excited about. The Witness from Jonathan Blow and whatever Jenova Chan creates,will be good.

Arenanet

Retro

Creative Assembly

Mojang

I really can't think of anyone else. Damn.... is this what gaming has become?

I LOVE ICELAND!

GamesBond said:
I think most of you are missing the question. "Game studios you get excited about" not "Game studios that made a good game". Some of you may need to amend your list.

For example, who is excited about the next namco game, or without looking it up, can you even name it.
E.A. - Hardly anyone says E.A is coming out with a new title. There so big that its usually the game we're excited over not the studio.
Rocksteady did great with Transformers but you need more to be excited over just that studio. Same with 343, if its not halo, are you really excited over it?
Honestly bungie shouldnt be on that list. Outside of halo, what are they know for. Destiny will decide if that studio was a one trick pony or something special indeed.
The studios need to have established franchises, plural. For most to be excited over just the studio, otherwise its mostly just the title.

Actually, your question isn't what I was going for, but it is worth focusingt on.  It isn't just they made good games, but their loss would be significant enough, it would generate concern.  People have attachment to LucasArts, because they had fond memories of them.  It is also a matter to of still looking forward to content by them, and what they are coming out.  In short, what studios are left people are still hoping stick around.

Someone also mentioned Crytek on here, besides me of course, and how they are a tech demo company.  I could say "maybe" to that, depending on your interests.  And I see Epic really isn't Epic any longer as Cliffy B and others are out.  Not the same.  It seems now to be pretty much Chair and People Can Fly.