By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

No I am not its not just those walls this is just a ROUGH breakdown. Its everything. Are you or anyone else trying to really tell me that a house (just structure) build for 250k can consist of the same materials as a 1 MIllion Home ? You can not build a Ferrari in the same quality for 20k even if you build it in China.

The square metre price for the walls tells us nothing you are oversimplifying a complex problem by looking at it from the simplest possible way.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

I canada, you get bigger houses and newer ones for third of the price...

no one wants to live in canada though , I don't know why.

It's called snow!

Also... of course houses are lower in the US.  We have a very low Consumer Price Index for a first world country, TONS of land... and oh yeah, a gigantic housing boom caused by a gigantic housing bubble created by the government trying to subsidize homes and make them cheap so everybody can afford their own homes. 

I mean shit... two-three years ago, if I were in the position to I could of bought a lot of nice homes for 1/8th to 1/4th the value.  Values have rebounded a lot still, but in the US it's currently cheaper to buy a house then rent a house in most areas.

Data a year old but....

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/04/buy_a_house_it_s_much_cheaper_than_renting.html 

That's just not even getting into the fact that americans on average just demand more for a house.  They demand bigger houses then other places... so those bigger houses become the standard.

Netyaroze said:
No I am not its not just those walls this is just a ROUGH breakdown. Its everything. Are you or anyone else trying to really tell me that a house (just structure) build for 250k can consist of the same materials as a 1 MIllion Home ? You can not build a Ferrari in the same quality for 20k even if you build it in China.

The square metre price for the walls tells us nothing you are oversimplifying a complex problem by looking at it from the simplest possible way.

Lolwut - British homes are not made out of some magical carbon fibre super insulating, sound proof material....just bricks dude. Just bricks. You are just guessing and have literally nothing to back you up. The post that shows they cost roughly the same is sourced. Your guess work does NOT trump that. 

You are ignoring the problem. Either provide evidence or go away as blindly guessing at prices is worth NOTHING.

PullusPardus said:

I canada, you get bigger houses and newer ones for third of the price...

no one wants to live in canada though , I don't know why.

Except Toronto and Vancouver, where townhouses are 600 000+., bungalows 400-500k, semi detaches 750k+, and detached homes for easily over 1 million.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ya, I always wondered how dirt cheap US houses are. UK space is limited so I understand how prices are at a premium but US prices almost make me wonder how there was a housing crisis when they are so damn affordable.

I mean I bought a semi detach last October for 530 000, with a down payment of 120k. That took my whole life to come up with that, but it is worth every penny, since Toronto houses appreciate 20000+ per year.  In US, you can buy a bungalow for 100k in certain neighborhoods, with the average detach house being in the mid 200's

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:

Parts is a small part of it. Labour and geography are by far the biggest factors.

a 350k home in the suburbs will be 1+ million downtown. Exact same house. The land location makes the price go higher. It also depends on the countries regulations towards how contractors get paid. A contractor in the US and the UK have different rates and salaries.

Adinnieken said:

More expensive building materials doesn't necessarily mean a better built house.  I think you have to remember, you build with what is in abundance, and you build based on the location.

Absolutely.  Some of the claims in this thread that wood-framed houses are too weak are ridiculous.  They are as strong as they need to be.  My house is close to 40 years old and has survived well over a dozen hurricanes with only minor roof damage, including when a tree fell on it.  It's as sturdy today as ever, and I'd love to see someone walk through thick plywood and 2x4s.  Of course, since it's built on a brick foundation, they'd have to jump.

It's 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, large fireplace, but where I live in the country-side I doubt I could get more than $175k for it.  Even then, it would mostly be sought after because it has a large, strudy 3-bay shed, a 2-bay shop, a 1-bay shop, and a nice sized garden.

sales2099 said:

Ya, I always wondered how dirt cheap US houses are. UK space is limited so I understand how prices are at a premium but US prices almost make me wonder how there was a housing crisis when they are so damn affordable.

I mean I bought a semi detach last October for 530 000, with a down payment of 120k. That took my whole life to come up with that, but it is worth every penny, since Toronto houses appreciate 20000+ per year.  In US, you can buy a bungalow for 100k in certain neighborhoods, with the average detach house being in the mid 200's

We had a housing bubble because you could buy a house with as little as 1-2% down, and with your rent cosing 40% of your pret ax income. They basically gave houses away, and houses that should of been sold at 150k-250k went up to 300k plus over a couple of years, and than when people hit any little bumb (house repair or other) they couldn't afford it. And as crazy as that was, we stopped doing it, and just this year or last, started it up again. So wait for another bubble.

Mazty said:
Netyaroze said:

Lolwut - British homes are not made out of some magical carbon fibre super insulating, sound proof material....just bricks dude. Just bricks. You are just guessing and have literally nothing to back you up. The post that shows they cost roughly the same is sourced. Your guess work does NOT trump that. 

You are ignoring the problem. Either provide evidence or go away as blindly guessing at prices is worth NOTHING.

What evidence ? That there are higher quality materials an lesser quality materials ? Expensive ways to build a wall and cheap ones ? Look up different pans for rooftops you can pay alot or not depending what you want. Your house can be build with energy efficency in mind or not this can cost alot. I am not going to google 1000 different ways how a house can appear cheap but still be very expensive to build. Do it yourself.

As I said before  our floors were 100000. The floor for a house of that size posted before would be 300000-400000 the whole house is 450k.  Conclusion it can not be the same quality. It has to lack on several levels  or else it couldn't be that cheap.

You can not compare a price for a house that easily. Also a wall can be build with those bumpers isolation for heat and be sound proof and use different stones. And suddenly its way more expensive. If you build a structure in Europe it won't cost you magically 5 times more.  

Prices might be better but not that much better. A worker doesn't cost 5 times more in Europe. There is a price difference but its not as extreme.

Sure if you just make a wall with standard bricks it might not matter if its wood or brick. (Except for the work you have to do.) But thats not the reason why many European Houses are more expensive and have a way smaller size. If you exclude the land prices its the better quality. (Not all houses ofc but if there is a massive price difference then yes)

Netyaroze said:
Mazty said:
Netyaroze said:

What evidence ? That there are higher quality materials an lesser quality materials ? Expensive ways to build a wall and cheap ones ? Look up different pans for rooftops you can pay alot or not depending what you want. Your house can be build with energy efficency in mind or not this can cost alot. I am not going to google 1000 different ways how a house can appear cheap but still be very expensive to build. Do it yourself.

As I said before  our floors were 100000. The floor for a house of that size posted before would be 300000-400000 the whole house is 450k.  Conclusion it can not be the same quality. It has to lack on several levels  or else it couldn't be that cheap.

You can not compare a price for a house that easily. Also a wall can be build with those bumpers isolation for heat and be sound proof and use different stones. And suddenly its way more expensive. If you build a structure in Europe it won't cost you magically 5 times more.  

Prices might be better but not that much better. A worker doesn't cost 5 times more in Europe. There is a price difference but its not as extreme.

Sure if you just make a wall with standard bricks it might not matter if its wood or brick. (Except for the work you have to do.) But thats not the reason why many European Houses are more expensive and have a way smaller size. If you exclude the land prices its the better quality. (Not all houses ofc but if there is a massive price difference then yes)

No links ergo still no proof. Stop it. Stop pulling figures out of air. Your posts have no substance to them - just guess work.