By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it finally time Military Shooters ditch their Single Players?

Should Military FPS ditch Single Player Campaigns?

Yes, just spare me the mi... 17 24.64%

No, I like to blow things... 36 52.17%

Yo Mama. 16 23.19%

Total:69

no

Around the Network

If they want to fail as games they should. Although multiplayer is huge, many gamers (maybe most) still play single player (i know on these forums it will be different, but in real life). I buy many FPS a year (probably 4-8 depending) and I really only play the single player campaign. I play halo online thats about it.

Remove it from Battlefield. Like the old days.

nope I want more for my money not less

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I never touch the multiplayer aspect of a game if I have not beaten previously the singleplayer. That applies to every kind of game, not only military shooters.

Around the Network

I think your question is too generic.. I think games whose main aim is to be a mass market competitive shooter should focus on that. So Call of Duty and Battlefield who generally have crap single player but very good competitive online modes... maybe just for those types of shooters your question can be valid.

For most other shooters that I might play... I could care less about competitive multiplayer. For those I am interested in Co-Op multiplayer or just the single player campaign modes.

In other words...

Left4Dead series did it right... came out with just the one primary game mode it is designed for which was Co-Op multiplayer

Bioshock did it right... came out just with the one primary game mode it is designed for which was Single Player

Tomb Raider did it wrong... made an excellent single player that it was designed for... and then wasted development resources on competitive multiplayer mode that core audience doesn't need.

Halo and Gears of War are kind of tough to put a judgement on because they tend to have multiple modes that will alone satisfy both gamers looking for meaningful campaign, co-op, and competitive multiplayer modes.

Given how bad the campaign mode in these games usually are; yes.

cusman said:
I think your question is too generic.. I think games whose main aim is to be a mass market competitive shooter should focus on that. So Call of Duty and Battlefield who generally have crap single player but very good competitive online modes... maybe just for those types of shooters your question can be valid.

For most other shooters that I might play... I could care less about competitive multiplayer. For those I am interested in Co-Op multiplayer or just the single player campaign modes.

In other words...

Left4Dead series did it right... came out with just the one primary game mode it is designed for which was Co-Op multiplayer

Bioshock did it right... came out just with the one primary game mode it is designed for which was Single Player

Tomb Raider did it wrong... made an excellent single player that it was designed for... and then wasted development resources on competitive multiplayer mode that core audience doesn't need.

Halo and Gears of War are kind of tough to put a judgement on because they tend to have multiple modes that will alone satisfy both gamers looking for meaningful campaign, co-op, and competitive multiplayer modes.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was pretty good, and that would fit in the same category in tomb raiders, and a lot of people loved it (ME3's), Uncharted fits that category too. While developing it, you don't aim for it to be bad or average (TR's). Sometimes it just happens, you learn from it and make it better the next time or go in a different direction (Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite).

thranx said:
If they want to fail as games they should. Although multiplayer is huge, many gamers (maybe most) still play single player (i know on these forums it will be different, but in real life). I buy many FPS a year (probably 4-8 depending) and I really only play the single player campaign. I play halo online thats about it.

So do you buy call of duty and only play its single player? I'm not one to judge but I think you are doing something wrong.

Also I'm not talking about all SP in general but only generic SP in military games like COD. Games like Halo need a good single player because they have a good lore to go with it.

cusman said:

In other words...

You are right. I think I generalised the question a bit too much and people got the wrong idea. I was talking about all these modern military shooters who clearly have their targets set to being mass market through their multiplayer components and keeping people playing everyday like COD and BF.

I was by no means referring to games like Halo who also have a great lore in their SP components or SP only shooters like Bioshock. I just meant those shooters who clearly thrive on their MP and honestly have very sloopy SP.