By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gaming Irrelevant or Relevant?!

PC gaming is very niche. It's a small market.

Around the Network

And guys, pc gaming revenue only amounts to $20B if you go by the definition that a pc gamer is someone who games on an x86 architecture. This includes macbooks, tablets and smartphones. In addition to that, 35% of pc gaming revenue comes from China - where consoles are banned.

I am jealous of the people who enjoy to play games on PC, I know their is a lot more quantity of games on PC than all consoles combined. I could also get to play a lot of them for free without being Gold or buying PSN plus. Still I just can't, everytime I try I get pissed of. A few years ago I tried it for the last time and wanted to play Diablo II. I got an error message and I ended up spending a day on forums why my game not work. It ended up that I found a Diablo II fan in brussels who would come to my house and spended three hours at my pc trying to find the problem.... and when it finally worked it crashed a lot of times and had some performance issues because my pc was to powerfull...o_o...

If the steambox is real I would consider it ....

Lawlight said:
And guys, pc gaming revenue only amounts to $20B if you go by the definition that a pc gamer is someone who games on an x86 architecture. This includes macbooks, tablets and smartphones. In addition to that, 35% of pc gaming revenue comes from China - where consoles are banned.

Only? And PC games doesn't include mobile/tablet revenue that is a seperate catagory. 

"A series of new reports from DFC Intelligence forecasts that the global market for video games is expected to grow from $67 billion in 2012"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/18/new-reports-forecasts-global-video-game-industry-will-reach-82-billion-by-2017/

Almost a third of all gaming revenue comes from the PC, and that includes console hardware but not the massive amount that is spent on PC hardware (as it would be impossible to  asitane whether PC hardware was brought for gaming I guess). 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

_crazy_man_ said:

The lack of Team Fortress 2 being mentioned worries me.

And no, the not updated 360 version doesn't count.

To be fair, TF2 is on Ps3 and 360....

sort of.

Granted at this point the console versions are glorified demos but still

Around the Network
KingHades said:
zarx said:

I

Most of the those PC exclusives are outdated shovelware IMO none of them get praise most of them are titles that come out and are forgotten hours upon release. PC exclusives don't get as much coverage as console exclusives and they don't get the same praise.

For instance Red Dead Redemption is considered if not and I think it is the best game this generation and No im not saying that because it's not on PC, im saying that because it is. I own a PC and it would be great to have it on PC,but where is RDR for PC? PC is getting snubbed from some of the best games ever.

Actually if you look at it, the exact opposite is true.

You think Red Dead Redemption is considered the best game this generation.... how many people do you think are playing it right now?   Just about noone.   I didn't even remember that game existed....

PC games have FAR better legs and awareness than console games do because of things like steam sales and mods.

Everytime the borderlands franchise goes on sale Borderlands 1 STILL sells really well.  When not that many people are even buying B2 on consoles anymore.

Arma 2 was unnoticed game on release in 2009.  Which suddenly became HUGE when the Day Z mod came out!   Both in sales and daily users.

Huge peak post 3 years later?  Madness.

The reason a lot of AAA games are released on consoles is specfically because they are forgotten and stop getting played. 

Developers can keep releasing the same game over and over again in quick release sequels without fear of someone saying "Yeah, but i can more or less get the same game for half the price."

Now for say.. Portal.  A game on consoles, how much difference does mod tools make?

Seriously?  Look at that increase in players playing for the first time!  Mods!

PC gaming increases every games value, replayability and memory.  (Sort of why a lot of game companies don't like PC gaming.  More value = bad if people are already willing to buy your product.

League of Legends truly is a phenomenon. When I go to my local gaming internet café, out of 30 people at least 20 are playing League of Legends.

I've never played it but I would guess that MOBA style games actually would be my cup of tea. (a few years ago Age of Empires 2 got MOBA style player-made scenarios that I loved).

It must be really addictive.

1. Minecraft (PC version still has much more content), ARMA 2, slender

2. Steam is download only which is why it is so cheap. It cuts out the costs from packaging and delivery.

3. I only really wanted pc gaming for minecraft and the custom maps for call of duty world at war. So yes i got what i wanted, but PC gaming seems so bare when compared to PSN. Not too many people online.

4. consoles are more relevant because of their support but i don't think you can write off PC gaming because it brings innovation to games, especially indie games.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Lawlight said:
PC gaming is very niche. It's a small market.

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not. It's false anyway.

Lawlight said:

Digital sales aren't tracked and that accounts for a massive portion of PC sales, heck Steam has never given out any sales data for instance.
$20 billion is just a number pulled out of the air.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--