By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More positive WiiU UK news

Why are people saying MH was the Wii U system seller? Everyone with common sense knows neither MH nor Lego are system sellers, everyone said they would help, not that the Wii U would magically sell 100k for those 2 games alone...

In fact, is somewhat impressive (even if just last 1 week) that 2 games (with 1 technically being a port) manage to make the system sell 30k more units. I agree that this boost will probably only last maybe 1 more week, after that the Wii U will most likely sell like the previous weeks, but it shows that games are what sell the system.   

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:

Why are people saying MH was the Wii U system seller? Everyone with common sense knows neither MH nor Lego are system sellers, everyone said they would help, not that the Wii U would magically sell 100k for those 2 games alone...

In fact, is somewhat impressive (even if just last 1 week) that 2 games (with 1 technically being a port) manage to make the system sell 30k more units. I agree that this boost will probably only last maybe 1 more week, after that the Wii U will most likely sell like the previous weeks, but it shows that games are what sell the system.   

This is what people are missing, when your weekly numbers are abyssmal, even a 100% increase in hardware sales still make your overall result below decent, even with over double of last weeks numbers, its still about half of the PS3 which is seeing massive yoy drops and is going on the 7th year on the market. Its a really, really long climb and I think the Wii U will have an incredibly spiky sales curve along the line, with deep valleys and relatively tall peaks, the bottom line will be steadily low throughout though.

Getting spikes from games, especially this early on in the lifecycle of a new console is exciting and nice with sugar on top and all the bells and whistles, but the overall future situation is still quite bleak from where I'm sitting. Long term, sustained high sales are not among the possible scenarios I can see down the line from here. The 1st party titans will provide massive boosts when they launch on a parched system but even that will taper off after a rather short while since software is not the Wii U's main challenge; design philosophy and market aim (or lack thereof) is, the thing has no identity or certain demographic it appeals to, this won't change at the core with any amount of games or pricing (being desireable is the very essence of getting sales, regardless of content, features and price, Apple is one good example of this).