By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Software Will Not Boost Wii U Hardware Sales

Maris said:
arsenalrc15 said:
If you believe that the Wii U is going to ride a wave of first-party games into the first place of sales in this generation, you are miserably wrong.

Please realize that those casual gamers who initially bought the Wii aren't necessarily going to be swayed by Zelda or Mario (which are not really targeted to casual gamers are they?)

Overall, the Wii sold MUCH less in terms of games per console. People were buying it for Wii Sports and some dance games.

Who's arguing here that it will be in 1st place? You suggested Wii U wouldn't be boosted at all by software, which is completely wrong.

Also. the Wii's attach ratio for software isn't much lower than PS3. Its right here on the site, look it up.

.4 games lower.  But people don't like to click two buttons to check what they're saying beforehand...

Around the Network

So we know nothing about nextbox, nor PS4's launch date and price, and you are already claiming the winner of next gen.

Deja vu.

Hint: I'm not defending Wii, you should note that the prediction of all of them are off.

I would like to see this guys Crstal Ball! lmao

Let me give you credit, OP: few people go through as much trouble as you did to try and start a List Warz.

I mean, your point is still the same nonsense that was peddled on this site back in the Good Ol' Days early last generation (I have it on good authority that GTA IV is going to DESTROY the Wii, y'know), and I have to wonder aloud how selective your memory is if your impression is that most Wii U owners' most anticipated game is Lego City Undercover, but at least you went and slapped some pretty pictures. Kudos!

arsenalrc15 said:

when did Wii software ever bring the console back to launch level sales?

Well, there's stuff like Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros., etc., all of which kept the Wii sold out for about two years (or does "launch" now qualify as "twenty-four months"? Just asking. I'm sure Wii-U Nintendo would be happy with that definition at this point). Then there's the fact that it's biggest December was in 2009, with the release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And then there was another big boost in late 2010, when new games like DKC Returns came out. Just off the top of my head.

But other than the many times when it did, I suppose it didn't.

POE said:
Oh god...

How many Nintendo doom topics aimed at flaming fanboyism do we need here ? Geeezzzz... this is getting really, really annoying and pointless

This bloating of repetitive topics should be avoided

Around the Network

I think people are sorely missing OP's point.

OP isn't saying that Wii U won't get a hardware boost from software because it most certainly will. What the OP is saying is that in the long run Nintendo's 1st party support alone, as great as it may be, won't be enough to rival the massive library of games the PS4/720 will get from 1st party and 3rd party combined, because at this point 3rd parties aren't really supporting Wii U (doesn't seem like they will in the future either) and thus 3rd part software also becomes de facto exclusives for PS4/720. Thus this will lead to most consumers choosing PS4/720 over Wii U because of better hardware and more software.

The Wii is being considered an anomaly and what is being said is that although 1st party software will get decent sales, Wii U is not going to be able to keep first place this gen and go back to how Nintendo performed before Wii.

Anyway this is of course nothing but a prediction and given the gaming industry's tendencies of taking crazy turns, I wouldn't be 100% sure on anything. Maybe 3rd partis will all abandon the PS4/720 next year and start developing only for the Wii U.

Lol. Okay...do me a favor. Save this thread in your bookmarks, and come back to it after Thanksgiving weekend 2013. Wii U will sell like gang-busters, and I think it will out-sell the other two consoles from Microsoft and Sony. I will come back after that weekend too and will be sure to mention that I told you so.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

UltimateUnknown said:

I think people are sorely missing OP's point.

OP isn't saying that Wii U won't get a hardware boost from software because it most certainly will. What the OP is saying is that in the long run Nintendo's 1st party support alone, as great as it may be, won't be enough to rival the massive library of games the PS4/720 will get from 1st party and 3rd party combined, because at this point 3rd parties aren't really supporting Wii U (doesn't seem like they will in the future either) and thus 3rd part software also becomes de facto exclusives for PS4/720. Thus this will lead to most consumers choosing PS4/720 over Wii U because of better hardware and more software.

The Wii is being considered an anomaly and what is being said is that although 1st party software will get decent sales, Wii U is not going to be able to keep first place this gen and go back to how Nintendo performed before Wii.

Anyway this is of course nothing but a prediction and given the gaming industry's tendencies of taking crazy turns, I wouldn't be 100% sure on anything. Maybe 3rd partis will all abandon the PS4/720 next year and start developing only for the Wii U.

You're completely correct: that is his underlying, poorly expressed, horribly supported point. Of course, even if the thesis proves correct, the way he got there, and the reality he perceives, are both    suspect.

The wiiu is a product that isn't about what games it is not getting but about the games that it is. It will have more than enough content not available anywhere else ever that people will purchase it as a second console. Let's say 25% percent of those who buy a ps4 or durango will also buy a wiiu for extra content. Now you just need some Nintendo only fanboys and families to purchase some units to have a very nice run. This will end up occuring. It's obvious.

How would it not, SW boosted vita sales every time a game came out basically.