By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create - week 12 ( march 18-24)

Very pleased with those Vita numbers. It is quite nice to see it get boosted again this week, because yeah, there have been a few posts lingering around the past few weeks that have been like "It'll be back below 20k next week" and that has repeatedly fail to happen. And I wouldn't bet on it happening next week either. I'm guessing it'll maybe drop back down to last week's numbers (Muramasa/Holy Sorcery Story will both be bigger than steins;gate, but they're obviously not as big as One Piece).

200k in a month anyway. I mean, it could always be better, but considering the catatonic state it was in before I find it very impressive.

Fairly pleased with OPPW2 on Vita too. Considering it is a sequel and most of the fanbase would've been on PS3; and given the drop in people buying the sequel generally, I think about a sixth of the total sales is pretty good. And it bodes well for the other PS3/PSV games we have incoming (Gundam Breaker is the one I have in mind right now).

Atelier Meruru Plus opens a little bit down on Totori Plus, which is a shame, although oddly follows exactly the same trend the games had on PS3.

Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 Vita opening about 7k up on last year's version, which is progress I guess. Migrating some of the PSP crowd hopefully.

Disgaea's opening is down a fair bit. Dead or Alive 5 Plus opening lower than I hoped, though (not quite the bomba that NGS2+ was; but lower than the 360 version in Japan) and Soul Sacrifice not having the legs that I had hoped for either. Kind of disappointing. Sword Art dropping like an absolute rock as well, which was pretty predictable given the horrible word of mouth it has been getting.

For the rest of the chart, though, nice opening for Luigi (although a little lower than I expected) and poor opening for One Piece (although still a decent number). Weird to see that neither of these really did anything for hardware, though (small boosts, but nothing substantial).

I wonder what boosted Wii-U hardware.

Around the Network
Nintendo-Europe said:
Nintendo 3DS which is selling in Japan at record levels sees its sales increasing, it is perceived as poor.
Wii U which is also seeing its sales increasing with nothing new since last week, it is perceived very mediocre.
But an rebound of Playstation Vita sales of about 12% according to Media Create and 2 or 3% according to Famitsu following a price cut, several games realeases,it is perceived as INCREDIBLE !!!

I think I will never be able to understand this kind of logic...

That is fanboy logic. I still don´t understand, and to be frank, I don´t want to understand.

Conegamer said:
UncleScrooge said:
Great opening for Luigi's Mansion! And the Vita is pretty healthy, too. It just shows consoles need games and an appropriate price point and they'll sell. What's the Vita lineup for april look like? Anyone know?

Literally nothing bar MURASUMA remake. Same for May, June, July...there's a couple small games but aside from FFX nothing until October time.

Golly, you very Vita-ful in the first few pages of this thread.

"Literally nothing" is of course, not true.  You hit the nail on the head with some of your later posts in that there is stuff coming; but it's niche.  Photo Kano (April) & Valhalla Knights (May) should sell alright if the previous instalments are anything to go by.  They should at least see a software boost because they are releasing in a dry period.

I believe June should be the best month because I think a Hyperdimension Idol game will appeal to a few Otakus and shift a bit of hardware.  Gundam Breaker is rumored to be releasing that month too, so we'll see.

The rush of software will be heading into the holiday season for Vita, but I think a lot of the people in this thread are right - the next few months will be testing to see where the new baseline is.  At least the software that has been releasing so far has kept us from seeing it longer than a lot of people thought it would ("Next week it will plummet"  "Okay, NEXT week it will plummet" etc.)

tbone51 said:
Turkish said:
I think a certain person is missing from this thread, a certain someone who was every week in these threads posting comments like "vita awful", "vita near dead", "how low can vita go"

wasn't it more than 1 person? Anyway i said 42k for vita this week :P.... i knew one piece would boost sales, love one piece

That person is kowenicki, someone gathered all his posts about Vita in Japan sales threads and made a thread about it. Dude kept repeating the same thing week after week but he can't now can he.

Sorry to bring up the elephant in the room but, didn't Judgement beat Ascension's first week? In Japan?

Around the Network
reviniente said:
Sorry to bring up the elephant in the room but, didn't Judgement beat Ascension's first week? In Japan?

Is that really the elephant in the room?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

reviniente said:
Elephant?

Gears 3: 54k
GoW 3: 41k

What I'm missing here?

Anyway

Gears J: 23k
GoW A: 21k

So, yes. Judgement did beat Ascension's first week. Ethomaz, even if there is precedent, given the installed user bases, it's still remarkable.

The original Luigi's mansion did 460K LT in Japan so 300k is extremely good. There was also a 8k increase in 3ds HW sold(around 10%) which is decent.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

VGKing said:
carlos710 said:
VGKing said:

But you people have been saying that since week 1 of the price cut and you get proven wrong week after week.

Sure? Paste the quote please. I only have said that:

1) The increase was disappointing as less than expected.

2) It will get worst and worst as it doesn't have anything to battle the 3DS.

Please show how I got proven wrong if my predictions are on a longer term basis than 2 weeks. I don't care about momentary spikes, I only view the big picture son.

I'm not talking about you specifically but people like you, the ones downplaying Vita's success lately.

Week 1: Disappointed sales, expect much more. Next week it'll drop like a rock.
Week 2: (Sales increased this week) Nice hold but its all downhill from here. Nothing big left.
Week 3: Sales finally dipped noticably. TOLD YOU SO! It'll keep dropping until it goes back to selling 10k per week.
Week 4: Sales actaully increased a little bit. Oh, its a holiday, it'll go back to going downhill next week as there's no new releases.

Not saying I disagree with these sort of comments, but the constant downplaying is very annoying and at the very least, take the time to praise these sales and admit they are defying expectations.

Lol you're so right. It's been downplayed every week for a month now, quite strongly already in this thread.  Funny how expectations for a dead system change so dramatically. Of course if they keep saying it'll drop, they'll be right eventually and pat themselves on the back for it. "See! Told you guys you shouldn't be happy about Vita numbers! Ha!"

On another topic, bring back Igavania!! Leave Mercurysteam to do the console ones where their GoW formula actually works.