By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Handhelds through the Generations

SNK:

1998 Neo Geo Pocket - 2 million sales (released in japan only)
1999 Neo Geo Pocket Colour - ???

Bandai:

1999 Wonderswan - ???
2000 Wonderswan Colour - 8% of japanese market
2002 Swancrystal - ???

Around the Network
DSLover said:
Sega:

1990 Game Gear - 11 million sales ww
1995 Nomad - 1 million sales ww

Atari:

1989 Lynx - less than 500,000 ww

that lynx number seems low, considering atar's seriels where completely numeric and I have both a model 1 lynx and a model 2 lynx with seriels over 1 million, I wouldn't trust wikipedia or there gamepro source article

anyway

first handheld ever with interchangable games was the 1979 Milton Bradley Microvision ( the second was entex select-a might in 81) , have no idea the number of pieces it sold; however, it made its designer, Smith Engineering, millions over it's life,

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its possible Atari manufactured over a million but failed to sell them, remember the ET debacle. Also just because you have a model with a serial no. over a million doesnt mean over a million were sold, just you got one with a million no. serial code.

I would like to thank everyone, especially DSLover, it's a great start.

the GameBoy and the GameBoy Color were released 10 years apart, other bundles, like the DS/DS Lite, the different Xbox360s were released in a manner of a few years, and the Color was suppose to have higher specs, so I really don't see why they'd count them together, except for the whole "we have sold 100 million gameboys." Also, the DS/DS Lite can play the exact same games, same with the different 360 versions. Same hardware, usually just different cases or slightly larger harddrive or something.

Computer programming class, be back later. Thanks everyone!

Glad to have helped.

Around the Network

Game Gear- Sega

WonderSwan- Bandia
WonderSwan Color- Same

I think NeoGeo had a handhelp way back when...

I also remember those handhelds that were 1 game were popular, they were kinda toyish, I had some star wars one and football.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Dont forget the gamegear in ur research.

"Like you know"

Stever89 said:
the GameBoy and the GameBoy Color were released 10 years apart, other bundles, like the DS/DS Lite, the different Xbox360s were released in a manner of a few years, and the Color was suppose to have higher specs, so I really don't see why they'd count them together, except for the whole "we have sold 100 million gameboys." Also, the DS/DS Lite can play the exact same games, same with the different 360 versions. Same hardware, usually just different cases or slightly larger harddrive or something.
Yes, I would definitely not say that the GB/GBC is the equivalent of DS/DSL or the various PS3 SKUs.  On the other hand, it is clearly NOT an entirely different console like GB/GBA/DS or PS/PS2/PS3.  Sony's had problems with PS2 games playing on PS3s?  Imagine PS3 games playing on PS2s! 

AFAIK the GB/GBC situation is unique as far as this limited "forward compatability" feature.  I could be wrong.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Alexie Di Onie said:
If you ask why they bundled the Gameboy and the Game boy Color together in sales that is because they were two variations of the same system, if they had not bundled them together than ioi would have to seperate Core PSP packs and bundled packs, or seperate the Xbox and PS3 with their plethora of SKUS. Same system, better stuff, just like say the elite 360 or 80 gig PS3.

That's not true, they were totally different systems with different games. There's no comparison with bundles and non bundles or different SKUs at all. The Game Boy Color could play Game Boy games but it also had its own games which the Game Boy couldn't play. Basically it's the same as with the PS1 and PS2. It wasn't just a redesign of the Game Boy like the Game Boy Pocket or Game Boy Light were. They were pretty much as different as the DS and GBA. The DS can play GBA games but it isn't just a redesign and they are rightfully counted separately, as the Game Boy and Game Boy Color should be. I'm sure there are some SKUs I'm missing but this is a basic table:

Game Boy = Game Boy Pocket = Game Boy Light (All can only play Game Boy games and a very few specially designed additional carts as mentioned previously in this thread.)

Game Boy Color (Can play Game Boy Color and original Game Boy games.)

Game Boy Advance = Game Boy Advance SP = Game Boy Micro (Can play GBA, Game Boy Color and original Game Boy games.)

DS = DS Lite (Can play GBA and DS games.)

In the same way that:

PlayStation = PlayStation One (Can only play PS1 games.)

PlayStation 2 = PlayStation 2 Slim (Can play PS1 and PS2 games.)

PlayStation 3's 50 billion different SKUs (Can play whatever Sony feels like that morning.)

"Game Boy = Game Boy Pocket = Game Boy Light (All can only play Game Boy games and a very few specially designed additional carts as mentioned previously in this thread.)"

My understanding is that about 25% of GBC games were this type. That is not "a very few specially designed additional carts".

Disclaimer: I do not have independent verification on my information (unsourced statement on Wikipedia) so I could be wrong about the amount of games.

In any case it's not "the same" as PS1/PS2/PS3 because there are no PS2 games that play on the PS1 and there are no PS3 games that play on the PS2.

Also, the GBC was not "pretty much as different" from the GB as the DS was from the GBA. For instance: the GBC's processor is (based on a little research) the same as the GB's only twice as fast. The DS has a CPU basically the same (again, I think) only twice as fast as the GBA's as its secondary processor; the main CPU is a different type and twice again as fast. On another angle, the GBC's memory is 4x the GB; the DS's is over 10x the GBA's as well as a different type. And then there's the more obvious differences between the DS and GBA.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!