By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - String theory and the multiverse...the answer to Existence.

Does anyone else believe in the multiverse, the understanding that there are infinite possibilities that are played out in universes other than our own? 

Universes where Bush the 2nd lost the 2000 election and Al Gore denied the false flag operation to enter Iraq?  Or Micheal Jackson was laid on a sturdy platform for proper CPR.  Or Lebron James stayed with the Cavaliers and still hasn't won a ring?  Or Nintendo quit with the Gamecube and are now the most successful software company EVAR?  Or Sony and Nintendo mended their ways and Playstation was never born?  Or that Lindsey Lohan wasn't a total skank and played Catwoman in Chistopher Nolan's the Dark Knight Rises?

Is that possible, if not, why not?  Do we dare claim this existence the only universe there is and nothing else? 

I believe in it more than I believe in any religion.  You can kind of say it's my religion.  I know you shouldn't try to disprove one's religion, but please, I'd like someone to tell me why it can't be. 

Watch the video, just pure Scifi bliss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY

Around the Network

Reality is an illusion that we experience through five senses that are de-coded in the brain, thats all we nee to know, and that were infinite

I am a physicist.

String theory is not mysticism, it is a sound mathematical theory. Unfortunately it has no evidence right now as its predictions are identical to the established quantum mechanics.

Parallel universes are one valid interpretation of QM, yes. But as we cannot travel to them it's not worth thinking about them. Also Gore losing the election is a significant event to US humans but not of universal importance.

Your humanity is attaching too much meaning to these concepts. There is no answer to existence that can be found through science.

I believe in the possibility of the string theory. I don't know that it disproves any religion. In fact, religions like Christianity dicate a multi-dimensional universe (Heaven/Earth).

MegaDrive08 said:
Reality is an illusion that we experience through five senses that are de-coded in the brain, thats all we nee to know, and that were infinite

True, so in that regard, can we say that we create all reality observed and non-observed.  The oberseved are the ones we imagine through the illusion of what our five senses pick and the non-observed the ones others imagine as well. 

Going further with that idea, could it be said that we are the Gods of the universe if your mind can bend the illusion of reality to your own will by your five senses?  But of course its easier said than done when you can't project what your five senses into other peoples minds. 

Around the Network

I've been going through some what of a spiritual awakening in the past couple of years and had some quite mind blowing experiences, when you start to understand the nature of reality David icke's reptilian theory doesn't seem so out there, as anything could be operating outside the the visible light of the human eye that feed off us

yes, I'm trapped in Edolas!!!

Soleron said:

Parallel universes are one valid interpretation of QM, yes. But as we cannot travel to them it's not worth thinking about them.

In Everett's original work on relative states in QM there's nothing like the "bifurcation of world stories" as often popularized. The so called many worlds interpretation (MWI) in his original proposal is actually "just" a numerically frightening decoherence of the superposed eigenstates when entangled with macroscopic observers.

As such -at least in principle- Everett's interpretation of QM can be testable: if we ever managed to create a small, insulated, simple process of quantum measurement that we can fully reverse, then we should observe "decollapsing" of the wave packets. Or in MWI-speak: we should be able to see the "alternative worlds" originated from that single measurement interfere again in a controlled way. How that would work in practice e.g. how do you keep track of the results is not clear to me :)

To the OP: google for Tegmark's multiverse and look at his type IV multiverse idea if you want an even wilder ride :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Soleron said:

I am a physicist.

String theory is not mysticism, it is a sound mathematical theory. Unfortunately it has no evidence right now as its predictions are identical to the established quantum mechanics.

Parallel universes are one valid interpretation of QM, yes. But as we cannot travel to them it's not worth thinking about them. Also Gore losing the election is a significant event to US humans but not of universal importance.

Your humanity is attaching too much meaning to these concepts. There is no answer to existence that can be found through science.

I imply no mysticism here nor any real religious attribute.  Simply, it is the guidelines to which I believe is the nature of all.  The basic idea that there are infinite possibilities.  How a man may pray to a God in heaven, I blindly believe that there are universes beyond our own.  I merely liken my belief in that to someone who would place their faith in Jesus. 

As for Al gore, I was simply trying to place an example of how a universe could be similar to ours. 

And also, I would think that being a physicist, you wouldn't be so quick to regard science as unable answer to all things including existence.  As much as it sounds like I'm romanticising a question like what Existence, there is a valid scientific question somewhere in the lines.  More of a philosofical question yes, but there has to be a way to place some sort of numerical if not some other form of scientific gauge.  If all things are possible, then why not?

I don't understand how infinite universes can exist. At any point in time, there are nearly an infinite things happening in our universe, and they can theoretically "happen differently" in an infinite number of ways. Like right now, something as mundane as my breathing - I can change my breathing pattern an an infinite number of ways this very instant. Does that mean there are an infinite number of universes where I do? And my friend does? And everyone else?

There would be far too many infinites going on for me to understand how they create new universes.