By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 vs PC: A bit of a Showdown!

PS4 Demo vs NVIDIA (PC) Demo

Quantic Dream's Demo (PS4) 128 50.20%

NVIDIA's Demo (GTX Titan) 124 48.63%

Total:252

Looks like they've both touched a fair amount of children

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
JazzB1987 said:
CGI-Quality said:
JazzB1987 said:

Seriously who even needs "animated" faces? Do it like LA noire. Best way to do it and it even looks amazing on ps360's "crappy" graphics.

Hell-to-the-no!! Thank God nobody followed those footsteps. Naughty Dog and David Cage said it best: those characters, despite the faces, were some of the most stilted and stiff in the 7th generation. A complete disconnect when head-and-body are not captured together.

What exactly does the face animation have anything to do with the devs not "connecting" the faces to the bodies?  NOTHING.
You even say "despite the faces" so you actually agree with me and just disagree for the sake of disagreeing?

Hmmm...you said: "Do it like LA Noire". That has EVERYTHING to do with head and body (if you know anything about mo-cap). Yeah, the faces looked great, but the rest of the body was very stiff and unnatural, hence why I said what I said.

(Crossed out) Irrelevant, as I wasn't arguing character design

You gave me no reason, at all, as to why L.A. Noire's characters correct the issues of the OP. If anything, it would be a complete step backwards, since the characters are very unnatural. 

Well I wasnt talking about the issue since what exactly is the issue you talk about?  The uncanny valley? Well then Ken somehow mentioned that first and I am talking about that  yeah.
  You just showed 2 different (well 3)  heads/faces and wanted to hear some of our thoughts.  

I just jumped on the creepy/uncanny-train ken started and said that they should use mocap like in LA Noire and refine that method. I mean the DAWN part of the Nvidia demonstration was totally cr(a/e)ppy because some person tried to immitate facial expressions and it didnt work.

And in Davids demo you see 1  guy without changing emotion  (well his eyebrows move WOW)  use your hand and hide the upper part of his face so that the nose is the last thing you see  nothing moves at all.....

So in this regard Nvidia wins hands down even tho the guy totally reminds me of DATA from Star trek and the only time he looks "normal" is when he shouts TAKE MA MONAAY!!!!!!!!!  (that part was mocap right?)

But am I impressed by either of those 2 demonstrations?

I dont think so. (change that if the Take ma monnaaay! part was NOT mocap)

JazzB1987 said:

I mean the DAWN part of the Nvidia demonstration was totally cr(a/e)ppy because some person tried to immitate facial expressions and it didnt work.

And in Davids demo you see 1  guy without changing emotion  (well his eyebrows move WOW)  use your hand and hide the upper part of his face so that the nose is the last thing you see  nothing moves at all.....

What the.....DId you even watch the Nvidia demo? DAWN was highlighted as being creepy, so no shit it was creepy....

And secondly if you think the Quantic Dreams guy showed no emotion/think there is an issue with him moving just his eyebrows then you are incredibly bad at reading emotion. Or making a worthless comment. 

the pc one looks way way better. I don't understand how this is even a question.

Mazty said:
SvennoJ said:
Mazty said:
kain_kusanagi said:

I do understand it I'm just not using it as a scientific term. I'm using it in it's common usage. And I did watch the Nvidia video as well as the live PS4 Quantic Dreams presentation. And I've played LA Noir.

They all fail to simulate the human face in a photorealistic manner. LA Noir is too cartoony to be creepy, but the ld man and the Nvidia demo try their hardest to not be creepy and fail.

Not being perfect =/= uncanny valley. 

If you are repulsed by the Nvidia or Quantic Dreams demo, I think you'll find yourself in a vast minority, showing the demos are coming out of the valley rather than being at the base of it as with Beowulf and LA Noir. 

Guess I'm part of that minority too then, since the nvidia gifs at the first page are creepy to me too. Especially the middle one when he smiles or something. I didn't have that with LA Noir as they still look very cartoony.
One of the characters in Heavy Rain was getting near creepy too when trying to smile, one of the female characters where the teeth wouldn't move right with the facial expressions.

I guess as long as the animation is more realistic then the rendering then it's fine (LA Noir), but when the rendering looks more realistic then the animation it becomes creepy.

Go watch the actual video - movement has a lot more to do with the uncanny valley than graphics alone; you couldn't be more wrong as it's known that movement is much more indicitive of ending up in the valley so for something like LA Noir where the movement is realistic but eveything else isn't, that will end up in the valley more than the same animations on a more believably rendered head. 

I did and he creeps me out, also while paused. Especially here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5d1ZOYU4gpo#t=527s It's better when he keeps his mouth closed.
I had zero problems with LA Noir's motion captured animation on a fake looking face.

Around the Network

PC art style is garbage, but the tech showed is quiet far beyond the Cage demo on PS4, especially on the lighting and animation front where it's not a facial animation capture but done purely in engine.

The Nvidia demo is technically better, but I enjoyed the the PS4 one more. The old man has that mysticism about him.

I prefer Quantic dreams model. It looks more real for me despite the lack of detail ? I don't even know how to begin explaining that :/

Anyways i think we seeing two demos with different purposes. One to convey human emotion caught mostly from the eyes according to cage and the other to show off super detail, lighting and a crazy range of realtime facial animations.

I think the nvidia demo is entirely possible on the ps4 gpu btw :) According to Nvidia's CEO the demo showed only used 2tflps of Titans gpu power.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Also keep in mind that the PC tech demos NEVER demonstrate what games actually end up looking like. They're essentially bullshit. And the David Cage demo most likely DOES represent what the games will actually look like in real time. Taking that into consideration, the PS4 demo looks to be much more impressive. And it was even done on early, unfinished hardware that was not yet optimized. I have no doubt that a few PS4 games within the next 2-3 years will look just as good as, or better than PC releases.

Shinobi-san said:

I prefer Quantic dreams model. It looks more real for me despite the lack of detail ? I don't even know how to begin explaining that :/

Anyways i think we seeing two demos with different purposes. One to convey human emotion caught mostly from the eyes according to cage and the other to show off super detail, lighting and a crazy range of realtime facial animations.

I think the nvidia demo is entirely possible on the ps4 gpu btw :) According to Nvidia's CEO the demo showed only used 2tflps of Titans gpu power.

Agreed. I don't see why not, it'd cap out the PS4 but it might totally work.