By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the storms in China affect console supply?

As you may have heard in the news, there are severe snowstorms in China, which are affecting everything from ground transportation to airports, food distribution, electrical power, etc. The storms don't seem to be over yet, and it will probably take some time to get the whole eastern/central/southern part of the country running again.

Besides the sad human losses which have already occured, these problems might affect Chinese factories, which nowadays build a big part of the world's electronics, including consoles. I don't have any source claiming so, but I was wondering if this may affect consoles' supply, potentially with a big effect on the Wii which is still recovering from a total stock depletion from the holiday period.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

it could do, although i cant imagine we'll know for a while yet. I feel sorry for those chines people. Storms are terrible things.

I think the factories are in the coastal regions so the snow won't be a problem.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
I think the factories are in the coastal regions so the snow won't be a problem.

What he said. It makes no sense to build factories in the mountains. They are probably all near some kind of port.

i think ninty will increase prodvtion by the time they release in china

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

What makes you guys think it's not snowing in the coastal regions? Shanghai is near the sea and it's snowing a lot there. Besides, the problem goes beyond the factories themselves. Electricity, raw materials , workers' personal transportation, etc.

The problem is not that simple.

They have typhoons too but that doesn't seem to alter supply very much when they happen.

FishyJoe said:
They have typhoons too but that doesn't seem to alter supply very much when they happen.

Typhons happen a lot there, while these snowstorms are nearly unprecedented. Maybe nothing will happen, but I still think there's a potential problem there.

I don't know how these storms will affect supply, but if the sales numbers for the week come in and supply for the Wii continues to be as low as it has been since the holiday season ended, I'm considering making a thread about it to ask what the deal with Nintendo supply is.

We know that Nintendo is producing 1.8 million units per month, and there was a huge bump in supply during the holidays, and now suddenly Nintendo is selling half as many as it is having manufactured. I'm not suggesting that there is anything funny going on, I'm just wondering if anyone understands how the supply chain works and what might be happening.

The units arriving on the shelf today shipped out of China weeks ago. We wouldn't see any change if any until well into February.