By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My disabled Father in Washington State tells me to not use the Lords name in vain...

badgenome said:
"Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth." - Exodus 20:12

Really that one's more about not chucking 'em in a home. Hence the second part of the verse, telling you to give back which you have given them, so that you might be cared for by your kids in your age of infirmity in turn.

Yay, ancient bible law class was worth something!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I say heyyy heyy hey, I said HEY what's going on!?

This is what you say to him because wtf if going on here?

mrstickball said:
In a conversation with a gay person, would you say ".......That stupid fag", or to a black person "That dumb nigger"?

To a very religious person, its of a similar footing.

Except a gay person is born gay, a black person is born black. It's not fair to be derogatory to them based on those characteristics. A religious person chooses to be religious. Nobody should feel obligated to respect their beliefs.

ultima said:
mrstickball said:
In a conversation with a gay person, would you say ".......That stupid fag", or to a black person "That dumb nigger"?

Except a gay person is born gay, a black person is born black. It's not fair to be derogatory to them based on those characteristics. A religious person chooses to be religious. Nobody should feel obligated to respect their beliefs.

So unless its an inherited trait, we should be jerks to everyone around us just because? That'd be a fantastic way to ruin your life. Why not try to be nice and respectful of everyone, regardless of belief, orientation, color, or so on?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Jesus: "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

Matthew 10:37

And since Jesus is God we can conclude that, given your father is very religious, he loves God more than he loves you. So, if you want him to take you seriously, you might not want to disrespect the one thing that he loves more than you while he is watching.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
ultima said:
mrstickball said:

So unless its an inherited trait, we should be jerks to everyone around us just because? That'd be a fantastic way to ruin your life. Why not try to be nice and respectful of everyone, regardless of belief, orientation, color, or so on?

Not necessarily saying that. I have a habit of taking the god's name in vain (like a lot of people). I do it all the time. If it offends somebody, then it's really not my problem. I refuse to let my life be governed by other's beliefs. I'm suggesting that everyone should have this kind of mentality.

Look at it this way: a radical muslim might find it extremely offensive that a woman is wearing a mini-skirt. Should it matter?

ultima said:
mrstickball said:
ultima said:
mrstickball said:

Not necessarily saying that. I have a habit of taking the god's name in vain (like a lot of people). I do it all the time. If it offends somebody, then it's really not my problem. I refuse to let my life be governed by other's beliefs. I'm suggesting that everyone should have this kind of mentality.

Look at it this way: a radical muslim might find it extremely offensive that a woman is wearing a mini-skirt. Should it matter?

Would you take said miniskirt into a Mosque?

Again with words, lets use the same loggic for words that are offensive to others, such as nigger and fag. They can be offensive too. Should you care that it offends someone or not?

Sure, there are plenty of people that use those words and simply don't care if they offend. Others do tend to watch their language and try to do what they can to not offend others. I'm not saying that speech or anything should be restricted, but you can look like a jerk if you like being offensive to others despite knowing how they respond to cretain things.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
ultima said:
mrstickball said:
ultima said:
mrstickball said:

Would you take said miniskirt into a Mosque?

Again with words, lets use the same loggic for words that are offensive to others, such as nigger and fag. They can be offensive too. Should you care that it offends someone or not?

Sure, there are plenty of people that use those words and simply don't care if they offend. Others do tend to watch their language and try to do what they can to not offend others. I'm not saying that speech or anything should be restricted, but you can look like a jerk if you like being offensive to others despite knowing how they respond to cretain things.

I don't think that's relevant. I wouldn't go into a store without a shirt on either, because it's private property, and the owner's will must be respected within that property.

Once again, you'd be offending someone based on something they had no choice in. That's not the same as offending someone about a chosen characteristic.

Consider this: I create a new cult today, gather some followers and teach them that the world "game" belongs to us. Then we'll get righteously offended everytime somebody uses the word "game" without a just cause (that is, in vain). Are you going to go the extra mile to not offend us? Probably not, right?

If you really are of that age, certainly you would have acquired the taste and common sense of choosing your words to suit your social situations and the expectations other have of you?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

what yrs the sabb where im from if your car is above mid 90s meaning uses obdII then motor vehicles just scans the ecu to see if you have check engine light if you dont then you pass older vehicles are probed at the tail pipe and emissions must be met its a much stricter test to pass since its black and white

it wasnt always like this poor economy has let to major cuts where im from and emission test has been scaled back alot

also you cant fix a thermostat or coil they must be changed

thermostats are pretty cheap 3-25$ depending on type not that hard to change either unless the water neck is difficult to reach

coils are also easy to change yourself aswell but the part can be pricy depending on car there usually $50-100 each

a good way to determine which coil failed is to swap existing coil locations to pinpoint the exact one the is faulty rather than purchase all of them, when you switch locations the misfire also moves to that cylinder

Play Me