By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have 200 dollars to spend, and here are my options.

I'm in a pinch, and I can't seem to figure out what to do. The fact that I'd go online to discuss this with hundreds of random strangers should pretty much confirm this for you lol. I have 200 dollars to spend on gaming, and I have four different options that I could go with. The catch is, I have to act by tomorrow or else one of the options is gone forever.

At one point, between 2006-2007, I owned all three current gen systems. That's back when the PS3 was, well, pretty abysmal. I had a 60GB PS3 and a few games, but that system was doing so bad back then, that there was pretty much no reason, imo, to own it. I ended up selling it and sticking with the 360 and Wii. This means I missed out on the Uncharted series, Infamous, Killzone, GOW3, MGS4,GT5 etc. Pretty much EVERYTHING post Resistance 1. When the Slim launched and that system took off, I wanted one but I didn't have the money nor could I see spending it, simply because it's extremely expensive mid gen to switch consoles. If you're going to do it, it's always much cheaper now, at the end of the gen because the hardware and software, particularly software, is dirt cheap.

So basically that's where I'm at now. I have a brand new 250GB PS3 super slim bundle with Uncharted 1, 2, Infamous 1, 2 and one month of PS+ for $199.99 waiting for me AS WE SPEAK. I could literally go pick it up right now, if I wanted.

Or

I could renew my XBL gold for $49.99 and buy all four Gears games for less than $100.00 and play through that entire series (never got the chance to play them beyond a few levels of the first) or just a bunch of random games to hold me over until next gen.

Or

I could take that $199.99 and put it towards a Wii-U.

Or

I could simply save the money, sit on it, and wait until the end of the year when everything will be much clearer as far as all three next gen consoles. But that means no gaming until then and that's a LONG wait.

I have pros and cons for all four options and they all seem to be outweighing each other perfectly. I can't seem to make up my damn mind, and I don't know too many unbiased gamers in the real world who could help me rationalize this. Any advice would help.

Around the Network

As a Gears fan, I would say to you to take second option.

But as a gamer itself, the first or the third option takes the cake. You should consider that once-in-a-lifetime PS3 option.

First deal sounds pretty good.

Me myself would save it and see how E3 fares. 360 and PS3 might see price cuts or not.

Wii U might have or not have what you are looking for during the holidays.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

That PS3 option is a good deal, and you'd have a huge library of other exclusive games to play too.

The second option is good since you could potentially buy a lot of 360 games with that money.

If it means no gaming options 3 and 4 aren't even in the consideration.

Option 1: The ps3 has a great library of games and even more coming like beyond two souls and the last of us. The games you listed are great games for the ps3. You'll have tons of great games to play for a while.

Option 2: Gears is a great series, but the ps3 would give you a much more diverse set of games unless you are that keen on playing through all of the gears series.

Option 3: Wii-U doesn't really have any worth while games right now, so no. You should wait for the other next gen systems are out, then see which one you really want.

Option 4: You could put it towards whatever next gen system, but like you said they aren't coming out for a while though.

So if you can't wait, I would just go with the ps3 now and later down the line focus towards next gen.

Around the Network

I would wait till the end of the year.

By that time it should be clear to you what you would want to buy. (Since the Wii U might have more games that you would actually like.)

Invest it in classic Playboy Magazines to sell off at a profit by end of the year.

Former something....

If you want to experience a different world of exclusives, I'd say go with the first option. I would probably get tired of playing the same game franchise over and over again. Branch out I say!

Get the PS3. Seriously, just get it. A $50 price cut that may or may not come around E3 is not going to be any better than that deal, and it will give you the broadest guaranteed range of options as far as software.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Save it for e3 and make the decision based on what your favourite gaming experiences are. The Gears of War route is risky since maybe you won't particularly like the experience by the end of the first game. Then you have 3 more sitting around

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032