By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Garriott: 'Most game designers really just suck'

Someone is a little cocky.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Apparently not that good a game designer.

Apparently none of these three are.

well only 2 of the guys there design games

just joking of course before you sensitive folk look to report me

DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Isn't that... weird? I call eternal BS on whatever that guy will say henceforth until the end of time ^^

To be fair, he never expressly said that "all game designers suck", he actually says "most game designers suck" and he's right about that. He never stated that Blezinski, Kojima and Miyamoto are bad designers either, that's just you guys putting words in his mouth. Besides, for my part, all three have lost their flare and original zest a long time ago and become predictable and long-winded in their work.

I think that Garriott is right in his statement that "most game designers suck", I really do.

Mummelmann said:
DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Isn't that... weird? I call eternal BS on whatever that guy will say henceforth until the end of time ^^

To be fair, he never expressly said that "all game designers suck", he actually says "most game designers suck" and he's right about that. He never stated that Blezinski, Kojima and Miyamoto are bad designers either, that's just you guys putting words in his mouth. Besides, for my part, all three have lost their flare and original zest a long time ago and become predictable and long-winded in their work.

I think that Garriott is right in his statement that "most game designers suck", I really do.

@bold and peter molanmjö hasn't? Fable has consistently become worse for each new entry, and I don't think we need to mention Milo...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Mummelmann said:
DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Well Kojima needs to make a new game I'll admit, but Bleszinki has worked on Gears, Shadow Complex, Infinity Blade, and was also working on Fortnite until he had left recently. That is in the last 5 years.  He has also done Jazz Jackrabbit and Unreal Tournament.  He has already been talking about returning with a new studio so I'm sure we will see more from him.  

Miyamoto has released a ton of Ip's that not only was huge hits but has been huge decade after decade.  I don't even need to talk more about him because he is a legend in the industry.

Kojima, well he has only given us one really great series but it's story was good enough and complex enough to last 20 years and still going.  I agree that he should probably make something else although I dont think he will.

You are right that he said most but he also said that "I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am."  He has a huge ego, specially seeing as what he has done recently.  He needs to talk with his game rather than make statements like this because it is going to piss a lot of people off.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Who's he? And isn't he too handsome to be a game designer?

LemonSlice said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

Who's he? And isn't he too handsome to be a game designer?

lol  That is Cliff Bleszinski.  Avid gamers can care about looks too haha

I disagree with this guy. I think he's racist. He forgot about a whole ethnicity of game makers.

It's easy to be critical, asshole.

Why does a guy who has a shit ton of money like him need to take money from kickstarter that could've been used by young, WAY more talented devs? HUH!? I call it daylight robbery.

And WHEN'S the last time you've made something worth talking about!?

My friends over at Free Lives Gaming are designing the most awesome indie game ever (maybe a little bit of exaggeration, but its really, really cool) right now. The design is brilliant and original. I know, cause I'm playing it all the time.

It's so ridiculous when a dude who hasn't been a major part of an industry is just plain ignorant of it's recent developments.

Dota2 is the product of genius. Incredible design .

We hates them forever precious.

Rampant ego non-withstanding, there is some truth to what Garriott says. Graphics have advanced massively over the past twenty years, but game design itself has become pretty stagnant. If anything the big releases have regressed for the past generation. His Ultima games allowed you to do things that current rpgs can't really touch. Ultima Online, flawed as it was, is for me the current pinnacle of what online games can achieve. Keep in mind this was a game released in '97, when the internet was basically running on coal and/or animal sacrifice. It's amazing to me that there hasn't been another big game since that tried something similar, instead of just copying the World of Warcraft formula.

That said though, Richard Garriott hasn't really done anything good for over ten years now. I feel like maybe the sheer size and scale of producing modern games really puts limitations on innovation.