By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony dropping th 80GB in favor of 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3

Entroper said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Entroper said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Arstechnica has been accurate every single time they've posted something like this about the PS3 with their source.

Keeping their pricing the same is a mistake. If they're doing a move like this, they're doing it to increase sales of the more expensive unit in an effort to improve their bottom line. Look at Microsoft: the "Elite" is $100 extra for some black paint, a 120 GB hard drive, and an HDMI cable, and people are still buying it.

Fixed that for you.

You realize an HDMI cable is worth about $4, shipped, right?

First it's just black paint, now it's just a $4 HDMI cable, but you still seem to be forgetting (read: purposefully ignoring) the 120 GB notebook-sized hard drive. Nobody is denying that MS makes more money on an Elite than a Pro, but the difference is substantially more than the color of the paint.

You get the same gaming experience out of the machine, regardless of the color of the paint job. The drive exists, yes, but most people don't need and won't use the extra space. They might not even understand it.  I could see its purpose if you're downloading HD content, but for HD content I have 750GB on my HD-DVR and that's not nearly enough.

The primary difference for *most* people is that it comes with black paint, but the marketing term 'elite' sells it very well, and there are still people out there who don't realize that 6' pieces of 26 or 28 guage copper aren't worth $30.  My point is that it is extremely overpriced, and yet people will go out and buy it.  Microsoft likely makes $90 extra profit per Elite sold compared to the Premium.  So who is that a good deal for?

Around the Network

They just have to have a price cut if they want to sell more consoles... they are too many years ahead from the regular gamer.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

This is starting to get ridiculous with the SKU's. If they keep doing this it will start to hurt sales, because consumers will become confused.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

misteromar mk4 said:
Didn't the head honcho of Sony mock M$ for having too many different sku's awhile back?
 And I'm sure there's a quote about BC being a core part of Sony's philosophy. These games company bods are worse than any politician!

Goddbless said:
This is starting to get ridiculous with the SKU's. If they keep doing this it will start to hurt sales, because consumers will become confused.

How are their too many Sku's? When I go to my local fry's, they have 2 >_> a 40, and an 80. People act like their flooding the market with different sku's when in reality theirs usually only 2, 3 if theirs ANY 60 stock left. Now if they phase the 80 out, and replace it with this new one. BAM, a whole 2 SKU's on the market >_> 

Microsoft has more SKU's on the market than the PS3.  

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
Goddbless said:

How are their too many Sku's? When I go to my local fry's, they have 2 >_> a 40, and an 80. People act like their flooding the market with different sku's when in reality theirs usually only 2, 3 if theirs ANY 60 stock left. Now if they phase the 80 out, and replace it with this new one. BAM, a whole 2 SKU's on the market >_> 

Microsoft has more SKU's on the market than the PS3.  

I don't mind that Sony is constantly updating their product line and adding features (DualShock, larger HDD) but I have problems with the fact that one can no longer go into a store and buy a PS3 with the same feature set that was available at launch.

IMO, that's a real slight on the customer. Even a software BC solution would be acceptable to me (and one is probably coming), but to just cut it out entirely is wrong IMO. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@Rocket, I agree completely xD it's a stupid idea, but we all know software BC is on it's way. I just hate hearing how Sony has like 8 million SKU's, but when I go to buy one theres only 2 >_>;

On the other hand though, this would be way more incentive to get the BC up and running because I have a feeling the increased hardrive is geared directly at downloading PS2 game library. 

Sidenote! I still HATE navigating through the Playstation Network :P it's horrible! 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

XGamer0611 said:
Good for Sony to created a PS3 with bigger storage. I still think this is in response to the XB360 Elite which boast a 120 GB HDD.

The problem with Sony is they have a bunch of SKUs on the market now. Also, current PS3 owners will feel jaded since a bigger drive and DS3. Am I supposed go out and buy another PS3? I think not.

I agree at this point I'll hold out until I get a price drop 1 terabyte HD and DS10 with electrodes that augment the vibration :). Seriously though if your on the fence this just makes you stay on.

ChronotriggerJM said:

@Rocket, I agree completely xD it's a stupid idea, but we all know software BC is on it's way. I just hate hearing how Sony has like 8 million SKU's, but when I go to buy one theres only 2 >_>;

On the other hand though, this would be way more incentive to get the BC up and running because I have a feeling the increased hardrive is geared directly at downloading PS2 game library. 

Sidenote! I still HATE navigating through the Playstation Network :P it's horrible! 

I'm with you 100% on that one. It's as if they designed the stupid thing for a KBM, yet failed to notice that a huge portion of us don't use a KBM on the PS3 (dunno if you can even navigate the PSN with a KBM).

Unless there is something on PSN that I really really want, I generally avoid it like the plague. All it does is irritate me. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

This is really no surprise to me, it was long in the coming. And this machine will have BC, it has to, and Sony knows it!
Maybe that is the version I'll be buying then, depends on price.
But like I said in my expectations thread, I believe the next top model SKU will take the 399$ tag and the 40GB will be bumped down to 299$ within the year.