By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGLeaks: First look at Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, no play from optical discs))

Always on,always connected

How come a marketing words suddenly become internet requirement?it just like 360's "It's on"

Around the Network

I hope this isn´t a case of 'where there´s smoke there´s fire'.There have been too many negative rumors about Durango so far, and my main concern is about the 'no used games' rumor.

Damn, the official reveal is taking way too long >_

drkohler said:
VGKing said:
freedomland said:
You can't play but install from Blu-ray drive and while installing you can play that game.
I really don't get it.

It's their way of giving Gamestop the middle finger. The console won't play used games.

That has nothing to do with whether the console is playing used games or not. First question is does the console check whether the disk is loaded when playing, second question is does "the system" check if the game (installed from the same disk) is running on two consoles. Essentially whether MS keeps a database of which game (serial number x) runs on which console (serial number y) or not.

Also the "play game while installing" is of course total bullshit, same total bullshit as in the PS4 presentation. If you want to run a game, you need the game code and game data variables defined in the ram, as well as the graphics data present when you start the game. What it means you will see non-skippable, lame introductions on your screen while the complete game and game data loads in the backrgound.

If the games are required to be installed before being played and the Blu-Ray disc isn't being used to stream game then that would make the disc useless beyond that first installation. There would be no reason to require people to insert that disc. So yes, this has everything to do with used games from the sounds of it.

VGKing said:
drkohler said:
VGKing said:
freedomland said:
You can't play but install from Blu-ray drive and while installing you can play that game.
I really don't get it.

It's their way of giving Gamestop the middle finger. The console won't play used games.

That has nothing to do with whether the console is playing used games or not. First question is does the console check whether the disk is loaded when playing, second question is does "the system" check if the game (installed from the same disk) is running on two consoles. Essentially whether MS keeps a database of which game (serial number x) runs on which console (serial number y) or not.

Also the "play game while installing" is of course total bullshit, same total bullshit as in the PS4 presentation. If you want to run a game, you need the game code and game data variables defined in the ram, as well as the graphics data present when you start the game. What it means you will see non-skippable, lame introductions on your screen while the complete game and game data loads in the backrgound.

If the games are required to be installed before being played and the Blu-Ray disc isn't being used to stream game then that would make the disc useless beyond that first installation. There would be no reason to require people to insert that disc. So yes, this has everything to do with used games from the sounds of it.

Isn't this the same system that has always been on PCs? I don't see the connection between this and used games unless MS locks the game to the console or to your Xbox Live Account.

slowmo said:
Anyone think we should start collecting all these posts ready for the big console reveal then do one big name and shame thread when half the crap people have been suckered into believing turns out to be bullshit. For the record, there is no wonder Sony's PS4 specs were leaked, they're hopeless at keeping secrets as we've seen all gen with the leaks for each new PS3 and PSP hardware revision.

Ok, I'll start with yours ;)

Around the Network

Definitely having the game installed on a HDD is preferable then running from a optical drive so I see that as a plus. Having an always on connection can be anything and probably be more of a low power mode where you can have the nextbox sleep but be able to respond to something like Kinect. Common sense tells you that MS would not have something as silly as having the console restricted to being online in order to play games as that would make the console dead on arrival.

The problem with rumors is that opinion is considered as facts.

I will say that having Kinect on in order for the console to work sounds iffy. MS will have to justify that one. It's no big deal for me since my Kinect is always on just like my console is always connected but I would like to know the design or business decision for those decisions.

On the PS4, it would be good if people would remember that there is a lot of things Sony has not revealed. DRM for playing used games is still up in the air as Sony has danced around that subject. People continue to talk about Kinect will be included with the nextbox but wasn't it confirmed that the move camera will also be included with the PS4.

Right now there is no win for any console marker because information is limited to much to make any decision.

Cool, The only thing that will prevent me from buying the next xbox is if they do something like focus only on kinect games and nothing else always online? I'm always on XBL when I play Xbox so not a big deal, Block used games 99% of the games I get I buy new, again that doesn't effect me. Kinect required? from all the rumors it comes with a kinect so another non issue.

Leadified said:
VGKing said:
drkohler said:
VGKing said:
freedomland said:
I really don't get it.

Isn't this the same system that has always been on PCs? I don't see the connection between this and used games unless MS locks the game to the console or to your Xbox Live Account.

Think. If games are required to be installed then that means there is a system in place that prevents people from buying a game, installing it, then selling it. I'm betting something like a serial number or online pass. So you would still be able to sell the games, but people will need to unlock them with some kind of one-time fee.

slowmo said:
Yawn, haven't you guys got some riveting PS4 threads to post in rather than coming in here to annoy Microsoft fans based on unsubstantiated rumour. ANYONE could fake those screenshots.

Pretty much ALL VGleaks articles had threads in this forum. Better question is why not take your yawning outside of a thread that you don't like? VGLeaks gets a lot of credit because they have been on the money about almost all the info they have talked about. Heck they are not alone, even EDGE and other sources have said the same stuff that's in the OP before.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Garland said:
If true, then either Nintendo or Sony have won the next generation console war without lifting a finger.

My thoughts exactly.  Sure, MS fans will downplay these negatives, but once the word is out in the general public, many will stay away from the NeXbox. Especially if they block used games, then Gamestop will not be pushing the system.