By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360's Moore thinks Wii is less!!!

Sounds like Damage control

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

No, it's as reverie said earlier:  FUD.  It's the sort of tactic that Microsoft uses all of the time.

This is far from damage control, and has nothing to do with MS being in fear.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Who was it that decided 'power' was how you define a next generation console and in the future when power and graphics cannot be improved does that mean any new console cannot be called next generation?

The odd thing is that the systems which have hit a point where their sales have slowed down dramatically are the PS3 and XBox 360. Now this slow down is probably caused by their prices (the number of people who are willing to spend $400+ on a console is pretty limited) but that is related to these console's "high processing power" and "rich feature set" strategy.

HappySqurriel said:
The odd thing is that the systems which have hit a point where their sales have slowed down dramatically are the PS3 and XBox 360. Now this slow down is probably caused by their prices (the number of people who are willing to spend $400+ on a console is pretty limited) but that is related to these console's "high processing power" and "rich feature set" strategy.

Most consoles follow the same pattern - Big sales in November/December, slow sales in Spring. Except for newly launched consoles (like the Wii, and the 360 two years ago)... well except for the PS3..

llewdebkram said:

Who was it that decided 'power' was how you define a next generation console and in the future when power and graphics cannot be improved does that mean any new console cannot be called next generation?

I think power is used as reference, because that's how it's been done in the past. Wii has somewhat changed the rules.

Also I think that Wii-motes are the future and that the other Consoles will create their own "motes". Specially for sports games, maybe even EA will develop it for it's games? maybe create packages sort of like Guitar Hero?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Neither Microsoft or Sony view Wii as a threat, and neither ever will. The way Microsoft and Sony talk about and react to each other shows fear. Nintendo is in its own market, as it has been for 10 years.

Shane said:
Neither Microsoft or Sony view Wii as a threat, and neither ever will. The way Microsoft and Sony talk about and react to each other shows fear. Nintendo is in its own market, as it has been for 10 years.

Whether they view it as a threat or not, the Wii is a threat to the PS3 and XBox 360.

Back in the day, Automobiles were expensive luxury machines that were only owned by the super rich. When Ford came along with their assembly line they produced a far inferior machine (in practically every way) but were able to sell it at a far lower price. The result of this was that Ford opened up (and exploited) a massive new market and (at the same time) pushed most of the existing companies out of business; most of the companies that remained became smaller and produced a niche product.

...Exactly where is Moore's point invalid. He has a very valid point about Wii sales: Will they continue at breakneck pacing, showing that the Wiimote is not just a gimmick device, but the way we will experience next-gen gaming forever (in the same way optical media helped us experience so much during the PS1/Sat years), or will it be something more akin to the "wonders" of the 64-bit Atari Jaguar, or such? Time will tell. This console battle isn't to the swift-seller, but the long-hauler. Each company has plenty of time to fix their weaknesses, and see where the market really wants gaming to go. Only about 10% of gamers have bought next-gen systems compared to last-gen. They haven't decided yet with their wallets if the Wii will be the true next-gen or not.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.