By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360's Moore thinks Wii is less!!!

As of right now, Wii has been consistently outselling Xbox 360 every single month ever since the console launched.

But Peter Moore, head of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division, recently questioned how long Nintendo Wii will be innovative and whether it's truly a next-gen contender.

When asked by 1UP what he thought about it, Moore was both complimentary and condescending at the same time.

"The same way when I first saw it last year: It's a very innovative device," he explained.

"It's done incredibly well at the holiday period and retailers seem to be very happy. The question that remains is, how long will the experience be innovative to consumers, and what are the legs of this thing? Is it a real next-gen contender that can continue deep into the lifecycle, that can continue to meet the numbers?"

Moore acknowledged that he does not own a Wii yet, but "I was hoping my friend Reggie [Fils-Aime, Nintendo's president and COO] would send me one."

Perhaps he's suffering from Wii envy.

source.: http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/04292007/16/xbox_360s_moore_questions_nintendo_wii_lifecycle

--> Instead of if worrying in elaborating a strategy its console to leave the HOLE or "START TO SELL", the guy loses time criticizing the competition.

Around the Network

To his credit, he's one of the more respectable guys in the PR side of the gaming industry.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with him though. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

iandrade said:
As of right now, Wii has been consistently outselling Xbox 360 every single month ever since the console launched.

But Peter Moore, head of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division, recently questioned how long Nintendo Wii will be innovative and whether it's truly a next-gen contender.

When asked by 1UP what he thought about it, Moore was both complimentary and condescending at the same time.

"The same way when I first saw it last year: It's a very innovative device," he explained.

"It's done incredibly well at the holiday period and retailers seem to be very happy. The question that remains is, how long will the experience be innovative to consumers, and what are the legs of this thing? Is it a real next-gen contender that can continue deep into the lifecycle, that can continue to meet the numbers?"

Moore acknowledged that he does not own a Wii yet, but "I was hoping my friend Reggie [Fils-Aime, Nintendo's president and COO] would send me one."

Perhaps he's suffering from Wii envy.

source.: http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/04292007/16/xbox_360s_moore_questions_nintendo_wii_lifecycle

--> Instead of if worrying in elaborating a strategy its console to leave the HOLE or "START TO SELL", the guy loses time criticizing the competition.

He's just pointing out the Wii's only weakness. The Wii is underpowered compared with the 360 and PS3.

Is it really a next gen system? Technically speaking the Wii is more inline with last generation consoles.

Maybe... In Microsoft eye's the Wii is like the PS2, both are completly outselling the 360, but the technology will be outdated in a couple years and consumers will want something else.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Yeah, I mean really what is he supposed to say, I think the Wii is amazing and will stay innovative forever, so buy and one and don't waster your time on 360s? As brought out he has to expliot it's weakness, while though being very nice about it. So you can't blame him for that.

Exactly the type of anwser to expect from the competition. No suprises there.

Around the Network

That's fear talking.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Actually the way he is positing those suggestive questions, that's textbook classic FUD. I don't like the way some industry heads keep asking themselves their own questions anyway, Reggie does that as well.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

All he said is that the Wii mote Innovation was great for initial sales. In his defense of questioning the Wii's future after the "newness"of the Wii mote dies, what is Nintendo offering? Ports of old games from Gamecube? Gamecube games didn't sell alot of gamecubes why will they sell more Wii's? Does anyone know of any new IP's Nintendo is working on? As fun as the Wii mote is how many different ways can it be used? and is it enough to keep people on board and excited for 4 years+?

Why are there so many Nintendo fans here now that believe the Wii is infailiable? I am not saying that the Wii will fail by any means. Honestly though the questions he poses are legitimate.

It's pretty standard FUD, but until the Wii gets more "gamer" games onto the console, he can continue to make this point.

We need SSBB and MP3 out soon. Though, the Mario Strikers online play w/leaderboard does sound pretty damn cool...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

NorthStar said:

All he said is that the Wii mote Innovation was great for initial sales. In his defense of questioning the Wii's future after the "newness"of the Wii mote dies, what is Nintendo offering? Ports of old games from Gamecube? Gamecube games didn't sell alot of gamecubes why will they sell more Wii's? Does anyone know of any new IP's Nintendo is working on? As fun as the Wii mote is how many different ways can it be used? and is it enough to keep people on board and excited for 4 years+?

Why are there so many Nintendo fans here now that believe the Wii is infailiable? I am not saying that the Wii will fail by any means. Honestly though the questions he poses are legitimate.

You forget those are not exact ports. The new control is a new experience. You may not think so, but it's up to consumers to decide if they think it's worth it for them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs