By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disturbing thought/rumor: Retro working on Mario Kart U?

If they are wasting Retro on Mario Kart(or F-Zero) i will sell my WiiU, 3DS and never buy a Nintendo-console again. Good thing it isn't true

Around the Network

They might be working on a few stages, like they did with MK7, but I seriously doubt they're handling the whole game. That'd be such a waste.

This isn't disturbing, it's exciting. Out of all of Nintendo's franchises, Mario Kart is the one most in need of some real innovative change in its game design. Mario Kart could use a Metroid Prime/DKCR style revamp.

nuckles87 said:
This isn't disturbing, it's exciting. Out of all of Nintendo's franchises, Mario Kart is the one most in need of some real innovative change in its game design. Mario Kart could use a Metroid Prime/DKCR style revamp.

I very much doubt they'd be allowed to though; Nintendo would make them stick to the tried and true and put their creative talents to waste.

Bah! What a silly rumor! I don't think we have to worry about this, I'm sure they're torkning on something else - like a new IP

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I've heard this rumor on wiiudaily, nintendolife, gamefaqs, etc, and while none of them seem like a credible whistle blower, the possibility rather scares me, epecially since their work on Mario Kart 7 does set a precedent for it.

Retro is one of the most talented developers in the world in my view; and they have a very different vibe to other Nintendo teams, allowing them to do things you'd never see from, say, Tokyo and Kyoto EAD, like Metroid Prime.

To waste that on something any of Nintendo's studios could easily make would be more disappointing than Resident Evil 5 and Metroid Other M put together for me.

Not to mention Nintendo desperately needs a visually stunning "core" game like Prime on Wii U, which Retro would be perfect for.

IF it were true, it would only be the same as their work on MK7, which was that a SMALL team from Retro helped do work on some of the tracks (mainly the DK themed ones). They were and have been working on something else at the same time, as in the brunt of their workforce has been developing something for some time, that was said to be in a revealable form LAST E3, but they decided not to at the last minute. Meaning that whatever it is, is likely near finished by now, certainly, and WILL be shown off at this coming E3. I wouldn't worry about it.

It was rumored a long time ago that they were working on "multiple" projects, as they're not exactly a tiny company, anyway.

Also, in reply to other comments here, yeah, Nintendo "buying back Rare", at THIS point, wouldn't make much sense at all. Almost as soon as Rare had themselves sold off to MS, ALL the good talent from the company jumped ship, most importantly the Stamper Brothers, the company founders. That really says something, if you ask me. There is a REASON that, quite frankly, not a single game they've released on Xbox since the sale has really been worthwhile. Because most of the original peeps behind properties like Banjo, Perfect Dark, etc., are no longer with the company. And now they're relegated to making crappy Kinect games. Why would Nintendo want them back? Retro did just fine with DKCR (even though it WAS too damn hard, it was still a very good game). If anything, Nintendo would be wise to buy back the full rights to, say, Killer Instinct and Banjo Kazooie at least. That would make sense, then they could have companies actually worth a damn make new installments. But otherwise? Nope. Which trust me, IS sad, because Rare used to be amazing.

And as for Retro, they ARE amazing, but I don't want to see them make an MP4 or DKCR2. No thank you. What I want to see from them, is a brand new game, either an original IP, or I suppose something like Star Fox (IF they did it right, ala SF64). Metroid Prime was fine as a trilogy, and it should stay that way. People calling for an MP4 is about as bad as people calling for a Mario Galaxy 3. It's just kind of like....why? Something NEW would be far preferable.

Retro is fairly overrated. Metroid Prime 3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns were alright games, but they weren't THAT good.  Nintendo released lots of better games last generation, including Mario Kart Wii.

I also don't know why people compare Retro to Rare. It's not even close, Rare was at a time the most successful and critically acclaimed videogame developer in the world. Donkey Kong Country was the top selling non-pack in game of the entire 16-bit generation, and it was the decisive weapon which won the 16-bit generation for Nintendo. Even now, with Rare being a shell of its former self, the company has still managed to vastly outsell Retro over the course of the last generation. Retro's most successful game, Donkey Kong Country Returns, was largely successful due to Rare creating and popularizing the DKC series back in the 90's.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.