By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U NA Sales Dismal

Really now? Do you think all of us are living under a rock? Of course you would post this article here.

Around the Network

The only thing I learned from this article is that the author doesn't know what torrid means

NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:

"All consoles do have rocky launches"

No they fucking don't and that graph proves it. The 3DS is a handheld, not a console, so it's a different market.

Totally dismissing the 3DS and Vita's launch as something not pertaining to the topic at hand will only hurt you.

Yes, they are handhelds. But that doesn't mean they won't reflect the gaming market as a whole.

Handhelds, not consoles. Would you consider comparing motorbikes to car sales? No, so don't compare handhelds to consoles, especially when the handheld market is especially challenged now by tablest & phones.

Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:

No they fucking don't and that graph proves it. The 3DS is a handheld, not a console, so it's a different market.

Totally dismissing the 3DS and Vita's launch as something not pertaining to the topic at hand will only hurt you.

Yes, they are handhelds. But that doesn't mean they won't reflect the gaming market as a whole.

Handhelds, not consoles. Would you consider comparing motorbikes to car sales? No, so don't compare handhelds to consoles, especially when the handheld market is especially challenged now by tablest & phones.

Sorry to break it to you, but handhelds are consoles. No matter which way you spin it

Mazty said:

What a horrible comparison.

Whatever, it's hopeless to try and explain this to you since you just won't listen. (Btw, Handhelds are consoles. This is why we call them Handheld Consoles.)

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Mazty said:

If you have redefined the meaning of "rocky launch" to the point that the PS3's does not fit your definition, you have done something wrong.

You're cherrypicking definitions and numbers to tell yourself that the Wii U's launch was worse than the PS3's. Oh, it took less time to reach a weekly low point lower than the PS3's. That's nice. It doesn't change the fact that the Wii U has sold more consoles LTD than the PS3 had in the same period. You know, how normal people measure launch sales: with actual cumulative sales, not with weekly averages of an arbitrary mid-launch-period set of weeks.

Wii U LTD in the US after 15 weeks: ~1,063,000
PS3 LTD in the US after 15 weeks: 975,622

I know those first two weeks the PS3 had are troublesome for some people. Let's give it 17, then: 1,028,680

Not to mention Japan, since you're focusing solely on NA here. *Gee, I wonder why that could be...*

Wii U LTD in Japan after 13 weeks: 806,691
PS3 LTD in Japan after 13 weeks: 637,595

The PS3 was $600's....not $300. Either way, I'm not "focusing solely on NA" for any dubious reasons, I'm quoting an article. Nice oversight by you there in order for an ad hominem....

If you don't think the figures mean anything, fair enough, but don't so absurd and acuse me of cherry picking defintions when I'm just quoting a website article.

the_dengle said:
Mazty said:

If you have redefined the meaning of "rocky launch" to the point that the PS3's does not fit your definition, you have done something wrong.

You're cherrypicking definitions and numbers to tell yourself that the Wii U's launch was worse than the PS3's. Oh, it took less time to reach a weekly low point lower than the PS3's. That's nice. It doesn't change the fact that the Wii U has sold more consoles LTD than the PS3 had in the same period. You know, how normal people measure launch sales: with actual cumulative sales, not with weekly averages of an arbitrary mid-launch-period set of weeks.

I know those first two weeks the PS3 had are troublesome for some people. Let's give it 17, then: 1,028,680

Not to mention Japan, since you're focusing solely on NA here. *Gee, I wonder why that could be...*

You make a very good point. However people are still gonna try to say that Wii U is a complete failure and try to justify themselves.

newwil7l said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:

Sorry to break it to you, but handhelds are consoles. No matter which way you spin it

If handhelds are the same as standard game consoles, then are you saying the iphone 5 is comparable to the 360? Both play games right? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

You're wrong. 

Mazty said:
the_dengle said:
Mazty said:

The PS3 was $600's....not $300. Either way, I'm not "focusing solely on NA" for any dubious reasons, I'm quoting an article. Nice oversight by you there in order for an ad hominem....

If you don't think the figures mean anything, fair enough, but don't so absurd and acuse me of cherry picking defintions when I'm just quoting a website article.

You should have asked why he was only focusing on NA and Japan and convienently ignored Europe

NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:

What a horrible comparison.

Whatever, it's hopeless to try and explain this to you since you just won't listen. (Btw, Handhelds are consoles. This is why we call them Handheld Consoles.)

Ah they both have console in their name so they must be the same! So hair dryers and tumble dryers have the same market right? No. Just stop. Go do some research. Handhelds and standard consoles have never, ever been compared and never should be because it makes no sense. Different markets so why compare the two? Are you going to compare the sales of an RV to dodge vipers?