By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

I have not read the entire thread but why in the hell we are comparing attach rates? Those things are almost 100% meaningless. Consoles with small userbases will have higher attach rates and vice versa. Also, just because a game has sold over 1 mil does not make it a success if the company that made the game had a huge budget behind the game and had high expectations(MGS4 comes to mind with the whole "sell 1 mil on the first day to be profitable").

On-topic: I do not think that I can add anything since everyone has already said what I wanted to say.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

1 Metal Gear Solid Konami 5.59m

2 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Konami 5.56m
5 Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Konami 0.16m

3 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3.96m
4 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Konami 0.47m

5.59, 5.72, 4.43. =)

@RPGuy96, MGS was NEVER BIG in Japan. Surprised?
and GTA series also were NEVER BIG in Japan. Again Surprised?
As i said BEFORE - DIFFERENT TASTES.

OK, now About ATTACH rates of SMG and other SM games in Japan:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Super+Mario+World+-+SNES®2=Japan&game2=Super+Mario+64+-+N64®3=Japan&game3=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&weeks=100

First of all, the selling trend is lower for SMG.
Second, Wii need to reach those 80-100 mln. which are GAMERS, not casuals non-gamers.

Comparing hardcore/casual gamers vs hardcore/casual gamers + casual non-gamers, is not the best thing to show ATTACH rate.

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, THAT CASUAL NON-GAMERS ARE NOT SAME PEOPLE AS CASUAL GAMERS?

Not that you're going to listen to reason, but I'll try anyway.  YOU, sir, are hyping MGS as one of the big releases for PS3 EVERYWHERE, including Japan.  He just pwned your argument by saying that week 1 Japan sales for Brawl have already beaten every single MGS game's LTD in Japan.

As for your Mario argument, others have already crushed that one.

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, THAT CRAZZYMAN IS NOT THE SAME AS SOMEONE WHO IS CAPABLE OF FORMING A RATIONAL ARGUMENT?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Seems like crazzy got pwned. This happens when you have a big mouth and you speak without giving the correct facts. =)=)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@Oyvoyvoyv,
Wii Fit is not even a game, it`s just a SOFTWARE.
What PLOT Wii Fit has? What Target ii Fit has?

You comparing potatoes to bannanas.

GC sold POORLY, Games were bought BY Mariofans (which most BOUGHT GC).
IF all of those 9 mln. PS3 owners would be GT5 fans, then attach rate of GT5 would be ~100%. =))

Attach rate at small userbase.

Again, Nintendo console buying MOSTLY mariofans/nintendo fans.

@Final-Fan,

In conclusion, your graph FAVORS the older Mario over the newer Mario and it STILL beats one of them. Since it is certain that Wii will beat N64 LTD, and SNES LTD,
THAT doesn`t MEAN that NON gamers CASUALS will buy SMG. Do you see SMG sales in Japan? Why it`s only 900k? You expect to reach 2 mln. there?
SMG DOESN`T SELL LIKE WII SPORT IN JAPAN = DOES NOT appeal to non-gamers casuals.

p.s. We don`t have data about usa/europe sales od Marion N64 and SMW, so other comparisons are worthtless.

p.p.s. That was ONE of my points. And yes, we need MORE data. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

People get tired of that MARIOFAN argument you know? And then if Wii Fit is not a game, then Guitar Hero, Rock band, Singstar arent either?

You fail so hard that it hurts me.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
People get tired of that MARIOFAN argument you know? And then if Wii Fit is not a game, then Guitar Hero, Rock band, Singstar arent either?

ignore the cherry picking guy, it's for the best

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
trestres said:

ignore the cherry picking guy, it's for the best

I am trying, but it is really hard, he must have gotten a big basket of cherries by now.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

CrazzyMan said:
@Oyvoyvoyv,
LittleBigPlanet is not even a game, it`s just a SOFTWARE.
What PLOT LittleBigPlanet has? What Target LittleBigPlanet has?

You comparing potatoes to bannanas.

GC sold POORLY, Games were bought BY Mariofans (which most BOUGHT GC).  OMG!  So you're saying that most MGS or Final Fantasy fans bought Playstation????? SHOCK!!!!!!!!
IF all of those 9 mln. PS3 owners would be GT5 fans, then attach rate of GT5 would be ~100%. =))What?

Attach rate at small userbase.

Again, Nintendo console buying MOSTLY mariofans/nintendo fans.Again, you fail.

@Final-Fan,
In conclusion, your graph FAVORS the older Mario over the newer Mario and it STILL beats one of them. Since it is certain that Wii will beat N64 LTD, and SNES LTD,
THAT doesn`t MEAN that NON gamers CASUALS will buy SMG. Do you see SMG sales in Japan? Why it`s only 900k? You expect to reach 2 mln. there? Uuhhhh, yes they will.  I know personally several non-gamers who have a Wii and want SMG.
SMG DOESN`T SELL LIKE WII SPORT IN JAPAN = DOES NOT appeal to non-gamers casuals.  See above.

p.s. We don`t have data about usa/europe sales od Marion N64 and SMW, so other comparisons are worthtless.  So this entire thread that you created to talk about Mario sales is worthless?  Thanks for finally admitting it!

BTW I can see you completely ignored my last post.  Couldn't think of a completely ridiculous comeback?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
CrazzyMan said:
@That Guy, PS3 will only in 2008 will have 2nd year LIFE Christmas.
And by THAT time it will HAVE MGS4, GTA4, FFXIII, GT5.

Unlikely we'll see XIII in stores WW by christmas.

MGS most likely won't have the legs it needs to sell a copy with each  console at that point(unlike brawl).

GTA4 is gonna frontload, however, in the regions where it counts the most, it is likely to see the 360 steal much of the thunder from this title, especially in the states.

GT5 is the only example that works in your argument. It is without a doubt, a system seller in Japan and Europe, and is a graphical powerhouse, so that means great sales in the US as well.

However, you do need to keep in mind, that by christmas next year, Nintendo will be selling a copy of Brawl or a copy of Wii Fit with nearly every console sold. The legs on games like SMG, Zelda, and Brawl are measured in years.

To think that the PS3 could outsell the Wii worldwide this holiday season 2008. That's reaching, don't you think?

Aren't you justifying and hoping for something that doesn't seem possible at this point.

You should modify your hopes, and say "PS3 will outsell 360 software this holiday season, despite Gears of War 2's release, worldwide." "PS3 will close the gap on the Wii in sales, and be outpacing it worldwide by late 2009."

These things are possibilities. The assumption that the Wii will suddenly lose enough steam to get beat by the PS3 in 08 is naive. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

CrazzyMan said:
@Final-Fan,
THAT doesn`t MEAN that NON gamers CASUALS will buy SMG. Do you see SMG sales in Japan? Why it`s only 900k? You expect to reach 2 mln. there?
SMG DOESN`T SELL LIKE WII SPORT IN JAPAN = DOES NOT appeal to non-gamers casuals.

p.s. We don`t have data about usa/europe sales od Marion N64 and SMW, so other comparisons are worthtless.

If you truly read my post, instead of skimming it, you would know the answer to your question:  "So it seems that Mario is much less popular, relatively speaking, in Japan now".  I don't know if it will reach 2m in Japan, but it doesn't matter unless you are ONLY speaking of Japan.  I thought we were talking about WW sales and using the Japan graph only because Japan has data going back farther.  As you yourself point out in your response to my postscript. 

HOWEVER, the lack of complete data for NA and EUR doesn't mean we have lack ANY data.  The news article I quoted has numbers DIRECTLY from Nintendo itself; surely they are reliable enough for us to use?  The numbers are probably shipped to retailers but we all know that eventually stuff shipped to retailers gets bought by consumers and anyway by late 1999 shipping to each territory ought to be very close in proportion to sales in each territory.  the PROPORTIONS are what I was concerned with.  It appears to me that you latched on to the first excuse you could find to discard my data in order to ignore my logical conclusions drawn from that data, and call them "worthless".

IT DOESN'T MATTER whether SMG gets bought by hardcore or casuals or supercasuals or trained monkeys.  The SALES are what matter.  Are you basing your whole argument, as it seems to me that you are, on the assumption that "yes, sales are great, but that was all the GAMERS and now they've all bought it and none of the "non-gamer casuals" will buy it."  Is that a good summary of your position?  Because if so then nothing else will really be important; you are basing your whole position on IGNORING past sales trends so studying past sales trends is completely useless.

Please address my second paragraph clarify your position. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!