By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Sonic franchise dead?

Unfortunately, we can't compare sales data from American markets until ioi somehow edits it so we can compare the few Sonic games on Sony/MS systems. As far as I remember, there were only 2-3 Sonic games on Xbox and Sony systems. The sad part is we'd be comparing Sonic games on 360/PS3 that sold sightly less than Sonic & The Secret Rings despite the 360/PS3 versions being rated around 20% less (on gamerankings.com) vs. the Wii game. The only reason I put Sega v. Nintendo numbers is because those were the only ones available. I know we're talking Nintendo vs. MS/Sony numbers, but I can't get any of them right now.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

96,410 Sonic on PS3 203,326 Sonic on Xbox 360 226,816 Sonic on Wii I don't agree that Sonic fans went to Sony or Microsoft, if anything they split between Xbox and GameCube, but I think more of them went to GameCube, me I went back to PC firstly.. I am an absolute huge oldschool Sonic fan from the past, and honestly i hate Sony on Wii, it is one of the most horribly disgusting games i've ever played and I hate it so much that it pains me that Sonic is one of my favorite characters to the point where I am becoming less and less interested in Sonic games as time continues. I actually prefer Sonic on 360 to secret rings.... yep I said it.

OriGin said:
96,410 Sonic on PS3 203,326 Sonic on Xbox 360 226,816 Sonic on Wii I don't agree that Sonic fans went to Sony or Microsoft, if anything they split between Xbox and GameCube, but I think more of them went to GameCube, me I went back to PC firstly.. I am an absolute huge oldschool Sonic fan from the past, and honestly i hate Sony on Wii, it is one of the most horribly disgusting games i've ever played and I hate it so much that it pains me that Sonic is one of my favorite characters to the point where I am becoming less and less interested in Sonic games as time continues. I actually prefer Sonic on 360 to secret rings.... yep I said it.

I think Sega fans got spread out quite a bit ...

In 2001/2002 Sega heavily favoured the XBox with new games, the PS2 got a ton of ports from the Dreamcast, and the Gamecube got a couple of games but (by far) the least support from Sega; for the quantity and quality of games released Sega games were selling far better on the Gamecube then on other systems. In 2003-2006 Sega was focusing most of their attention to the PS2 and porting games to the Gamecube and XBox but the quality of the games was much lower than earlier offerings and nothing sold particularly well. Currently it seems like they are (reasonably) platform agnostic ...

mrstickball said:
Unfortunately, we can't compare sales data from American markets until ioi somehow edits it so we can compare the few Sonic games on Sony/MS systems. As far as I remember, there were only 2-3 Sonic games on Xbox and Sony systems. The sad part is we'd be comparing Sonic games on 360/PS3 that sold sightly less than Sonic & The Secret Rings despite the 360/PS3 versions being rated around 20% less (on gamerankings.com) vs. the Wii game. The only reason I put Sega v. Nintendo numbers is because those were the only ones available. I know we're talking Nintendo vs. MS/Sony numbers, but I can't get any of them right now.

Actually there is a very simple answser as to why in America the Sonic and the Secret Rings has only barely sold more than the 360 version yet.  Easy answer is Sonic and the SEcret Rings was released in February and Sonic 360 was released in Holiday season.  Even bad games get increased sales during that time and that is the main reason.  But if Sonic can stay pretty good on sales until Holidays 2007 then you will definetly see it really a lot farther than the other titles.   

OriGin said:

I actually thought it was ok but still had it's flaws.  But I await a sequel or another Wii Sonic game as I think it could be really good.  

And I really don't see how you say it but I' msorry Sonic on the 360 was one of the worst god damn games ever and I've liked almost all sega games, even somewhat Shadow game.  Haha Sonic on the 360 was the worst piece of crap ever... yep I said it haha.

Around the Network

It seems like sega is a total mess of a third party publisher, they have talents and are innovative, but they cant seem to gain a foothold, which is a great shame.  Its difficult to believe sega, a company that was once a serious threat to nintendo has now become so weak, with barely a presence in the american market.  I think to become competetive sega need to start tailoring games specifically for the american and european markets, because sonic appears to be thier only big seller, a franchise which is 15 years old. It seems odd that sega was once able to sustain a platform mainly on its own games when the current generation are more or less ignorant to its franchises.

I think because Sega is really drifting more towards Nintendo and exclusive on their consoles that you'll start to see much better sales for Sega. Cause old school Sega and Nintendo are alike and Sega's games will have a lot of sucess there. It's been proven over time. Nights 2 will be big on the Wii if it is done right and gets the hype it deserves. And what better way to kick of Sonic again by putting him in the same game as the biggest character in the industry. Sega is starting to make huge moves and you could definetly see a revival just because of that. Especially with their older franchises coming back.

No.

More life to come for the blue hedgehog.

(I take it Mr. Stickball doesn't dig Old School Revolution, the short that has Sonic & pals teaming up with Luigi to avenge Mario's death against Sony & MS. Gaaaates. LOL!)

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

HappySqurriel said:
OriGin said:

I think Sega fans got spread out quite a bit ...

In 2001/2002 Sega heavily favoured the XBox with new games, the PS2 got a ton of ports from the Dreamcast, and the Gamecube got a couple of games but (by far) the least support from Sega; for the quantity and quality of games released Sega games were selling far better on the Gamecube then on other systems. In 2003-2006 Sega was focusing most of their attention to the PS2 and porting games to the Gamecube and XBox but the quality of the games was much lower than earlier offerings and nothing sold particularly well. Currently it seems like they are (reasonably) platform agnostic ...

Yeah, it does seem like Sega fans have become refugees and people without a nation.

After Dreamcast was done this Sega-loving friend of mine was almost off the page for gaming for awhile and I thought he'd join his brother and me on the Nintendo front. But he then went and got a XBox and sort of sticks there now. He also has a PS2 but even today it still seems like he would love Sega to come back into the biz. Just heard he's recently got a 360 so I guess he's funneling his Sega love to MS currently.

I feel bad for the Segafans really. I thought the Dreamcast was a hell of a system and I'm still sort of peeved that it fell off the market. Some mistakes will haunt you for the rest of your life. If only they didn't get add-on crazy in the Genesis days...

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

No the Sonic franchise is far from dead!

SonicTeam may be though! Sonic Team lost Yuji Naka and 15 of its best employees. Sega has been heaping more and more projects on Sonic Team with smaller and smaller developement periods and they just can't do it. Since Sonic Heroes, Sonic Team has been struggling to make a single decent Sonic title with Heroes controll system blowing , 360's camera angles and other problems. Then the worst Sonic game to date Secret Rings was pocked full of glitches and since it was on rails it limited the gameplay to tilt right left jump! Sonic Team is beyond help it needs to be restructured rebuilt and a massive renovation of the companies image is required!

The Sonic franchise however isn't dead and it isn't going anywhere, it hasn't done all that well on Sony and Microsoft's consoles so its no suprise that the 360/PS3 versions aren't breaking any sales records. However Sonic is expected to appear in SmashBros:Brawl and in Mario/Sonic Olympics! With all these Sonic Kameo's he's bound to get alot of press and sales support. As a franchise Sonic is more then capable of shipping more then a million copies every title!

In other words Sonic is far from dead!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer