By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Sonic franchise dead?

Did any of you grow up during 1991-1995? There is a reason Sonic doesn't sell on Nintendo systems: we (Sega owners) hate Nintendo dearly. They won the great war, and took the mascot of the true competitor to Nintendo hostage. When Sega disbanded, and lost major marketshare to Sony and Nintendo, the Sonic fans didn't goto Nintendo...They went to Sony. Between the dev support being on Nintendo (which is plain wrong), and the fact the Sega fanbase is really really disenfranchised (except for maybe buying lots of copies of Yakuza), they really have no motivation to buy a dead mascot's game. Let me ask you this: How well would Mario Galaxy sell if Nintendo sold out to MS tommorow? Answer: Nowhere near what it would on Wii. It's the same reason Sonic doesn't, never will, and won't sell on a Nintendo console: it's blasphemy of the highest type. Now Phantasy Star on the other hand......It'd do well, as it's a great friggin-tastic game. I hope for the days we get a true Phantasy Star single-player game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

sonic has been non existent for years now..the question is when will sega not make a shitty sonic game..? one thing i cannot understand is how sega would let their beloved blue hedgehog go to shit like this..

btw sega isnt a very innovative company. that could be the number 1 reason... 

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

mrstickball said:
Did any of you grow up during 1991-1995? There is a reason Sonic doesn't sell on Nintendo systems: we (Sega owners) hate Nintendo dearly. They won the great war, and took the mascot of the true competitor to Nintendo hostage. When Sega disbanded, and lost major marketshare to Sony and Nintendo, the Sonic fans didn't goto Nintendo...They went to Sony. Between the dev support being on Nintendo (which is plain wrong), and the fact the Sega fanbase is really really disenfranchised (except for maybe buying lots of copies of Yakuza), they really have no motivation to buy a dead mascot's game. Let me ask you this: How well would Mario Galaxy sell if Nintendo sold out to MS tommorow? Answer: Nowhere near what it would on Wii. It's the same reason Sonic doesn't, never will, and won't sell on a Nintendo console: it's blasphemy of the highest type. Now Phantasy Star on the other hand......It'd do well, as it's a great friggin-tastic game. I hope for the days we get a true Phantasy Star single-player game.

What leads you to this conclusion? Sega was ruined by Sony, not Nintendo. How could any true Sega fan ally with those who destroyed what he once loved? In contrast, Nintendo represents the golden era of when game consoles were still made by actual game companies, so it makes much more sense to me to nowadays support Nintendo as a former Sega owner - even though Nintendo was the arch-enemy back in time. I highly doubt Sonic would sell better on Playstation. I agree with the rest of your post though, especially since I'm also praying for a (single-player) PS5.

will sega PLEASE hurry up and bring out virtual on for wii...... that would be killer

Virtu-on is a MUST have for anything. IMO, It'd be best on XBLA due to the online aspects of the game. Multiplayer was by far the most awesome aspect of the game. Could you imagine a 4p or more version? Sweetness alive! I played it at the arcades for YEARS and had the chance to play it a year ago - classic game. One of the best Sega games ever created.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

whilst i agree with the online goodness for virtua on do you not think that the wiimote and nunchuck is the perfect set-up to control your mech??????

mrstickball said:

I am not sure about this, but has not Sonic always sold pretty well on Nintendo plattforms compared to the other plattforms?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I don't think it's dead but I think it was in the process of dying. But Wii is going to bring it back. As you'll see with Mario and Sonic game. And if Sonic is in SSBB then this guy is going to be back ferociously. But I think Sonic was great whjen it was on the GC exclusively but when it started to spread out to all consoles it just seemed to fade away. But with Sonic becoming everyday even more of a Nintendo exclusive character I think the character will actually start to get more stardom like it use to have. I mean it sounds bias but look at trends and it really does fit.

But yea I really do see Sonic becoming a Nintendo exclusive along with a lot of Sega's franchises. The connection between the 2 companies has been quite extroardinary lately so I think good things will come out of this for both companies.

Sonic's better on Nintendo platforms, as those systems have historically been more heavily focused on platformers. It's next to pointless on Xbox 360. It should perform decently on PS3.