By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create - Week 10 ( Mar 4 - Mar 10 )

the_dengle said:

It really doesn't. In sales, sure, but not quality. You're arguing against your own system here! Don't sell the Vita short.

Are they system sellers like 3DS's titles?

Around the Network
oni-link said:
lol...I guess if I were a Vita fan, I would be gloating too. It's just too bad I don't see this extending more past a couple of weeks. FACT: 3DS still beats Vita nearly 10:1 in Japan, and it'll take a lot more than a week or two of the system selling this well before it can be considered a non-failure in my book!!!

So for now the Wii U is also a failure in your book? I mean, it has been trailing behind the Gamecube, even... 

Deyon said:
the_dengle said:

It really doesn't. In sales, sure, but not quality. You're arguing against your own system here! Don't sell the Vita short.

Are they system sellers like 3DS's titles?

think of attach ratios than sales. No Vita game is going to have 8.18mil as SM3DL has to 3DS cuz vita only sold 4.3mil handhelds. Uncharted Golden Abyss has over 20% attach ratio which is great. Its the memory card price and lack of more third party support hurting vita. Sony will never have a 1st party game like nintendo though unfortunately

Magnus86 said:
Sal.Paradise said:
NintendoPie said:
Deyon said:
NintendoPie said:

What a horrible comparison. You can't be serious about that...

Yes i'm serious. Vita won this week and we have every right to celebrate and do whatever we want.

While we're at it, let's throw all the rules out the window.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad to celebrate that the Vita sold well, because it did. It's just ridiculous to celebrate that it won (again, by near 1'000 sales) over the 3DS. I don't see how you can't view this as ridiculous in the least bit. 

It's because the precedent has been set for the Vita to lose in sales to 3DS in Japan, and by a significant margin. 

I'll give you an example, in this years Six Nations (rugby tournament) Italy beat France 23-18. It's only a 5 point victory, and wasn't a particularly impressive performance technically. But it garnered headlines such as 'Italy stun France in historic victory' 'Italy shock favourites France' and my personal favourite 'Faltering French fall victim to Roman Conquerors'. 

Thing is, Italy are the weakest team in the tournament, by a significant margin. They've only won 10 games out of the 68 they've played in it. Out of the 34 times they've played France in any tournament, they've only won 3 times. They're practically written off as losers before they have the chance to compete. And so any victory, no matter how small, is celebrated and publicised disporportionately to the actual result. 

I'm Italian and i saw that match in a pub in my town. Believe me when i say that i saw people crying tears of joy for that victory. I agree with everything you said, for the ones that have always been the last win against one of the top players is like doing something unbelievable.

This could be the last time(but i don't think so) that we will see the Vita on the top spot of the chart so just enjoy the moment, tomorrow is another day.

I'm half Italian, so I know exactly how those guys in the pub felt If I had had a few drinks I'd probably have cried too lol. 

VGhippy said:
Claymore said:

Tales of hearts flopped by far the worst opening in Japan, even the spin offs did better.

I don't know I think it's going great numbers. I only thought it was going to do 20-30k first week though. Given this is really just a HD port of a 4-5 year old game NamcoBandai are essentually just getting free money. The original only did about 200-250k lifetime.

• Tales of Xillia 2 :364.439  
  • Tales of Xillia:525,605
  • Tales of graces F:215.187
  • Tales of Grace(wii):143,000
  • Tales of the Abyss(3DS):74.173
  • Tales of Hearts(NDS):141,610
  • Tales of the World Radiant Mythology :222,068

Just a few examples, I was slightly wrong only Tales game that had a worst frist week than Tales of Hearts was Tales of Rebirth on the PSP.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
Magnus86 said:
Sal.Paradise said:
NintendoPie said:
Deyon said:
NintendoPie said:

What a horrible comparison. You can't be serious about that...

Yes i'm serious. Vita won this week and we have every right to celebrate and do whatever we want.

While we're at it, let's throw all the rules out the window.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad to celebrate that the Vita sold well, because it did. It's just ridiculous to celebrate that it won (again, by near 1'000 sales) over the 3DS. I don't see how you can't view this as ridiculous in the least bit. 

It's because the precedent has been set for the Vita to lose in sales to 3DS in Japan, and by a significant margin. 

I'll give you an example, in this years Six Nations (rugby tournament) Italy beat France 23-18. It's only a 5 point victory, and wasn't a particularly impressive performance technically. But it garnered headlines such as 'Italy stun France in historic victory' 'Italy shock favourites France' and my personal favourite 'Faltering French fall victim to Roman Conquerors'. 

Thing is, Italy are the weakest team in the tournament, by a significant margin. They've only won 10 games out of the 68 they've played in it. Out of the 34 times they've played France in any tournament, they've only won 3 times. They're practically written off as losers before they have the chance to compete. And so any victory, no matter how small, is celebrated and publicised disporportionately to the actual result. 

I'm Italian and i saw that match in a pub in my town. Believe me when i say that i saw people crying tears of joy for that victory. I agree with everything you said, for the ones that have always been the last win against one of the top players is like doing something unbelievable.

This could be the last time(but i don't think so) that we will see the Vita on the top spot of the chart so just enjoy the moment, tomorrow is another day.

I'm half Italian, so I know exactly how those guys in the pub felt If I had had a few drinks I'd probably have cried too lol. 

Haha probably. XD

Well, greetings from Italy. :)

@ Farsala & Kresnik:

Thanks. The weeks all seem to blend together for me lately .

NoCtiS_NoX said:

40 000
60 000
80 000

Nintendo 3DS 60 800 units
  PlayStation Portable 17 954 units
  PlayStation Vita 61 152 units
  Wii 1742 units
  Wii U 9089 units
  PlayStation 3 19 155 units
  Xbox 360 495 units

I've got different numbers for hardware, but yea Vita topped 3DS

Media Creat Sales

PSV - 63,581
3DS - 61,008 (2/3rds are XL sales)
PS3 - 19,567
PSP - 18,023
WiiU - 9,454
Wii - 1,363
360 - 738

Wait WTF? Was DS discontinued in Japan?

It was discontinued before PS2! LOL wow.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

kitler53 said:
...and why do they split the 3DS and 3DS LL. it's not like they don't play the same games. it's about as relevant is separating the wifi and wifi+3G vita's..

Actually that's important to know.

If 66% of 3DS owners in Japan buy a 3DS XL model, and only 33% buy the regular, then Nintendo know that to improve sales, they should bundle games, and make colour variations for the XL models as a priority.

It also tells Nintendo that for future consoles, they should release an XL model first (since it's the more popular model) and then release a smaller version.

Plus it also tell Nintendo how important other factors (like the better battery life on the XL model) are.

I hope NOA catches on to this, Nintendo of Europe has released some awesome 3DS colours, and we only get the tacky two tone red or blue models. I want a solid white or solid black 3DS XL!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Claymore said:

• Tales of Xillia 2 :364.439  
  • Tales of Xillia:525,605
  • Tales of graces F:215.187
  • Tales of Grace(wii):143,000
  • Tales of the Abyss(3DS):74.173
  • Tales of Hearts(NDS):141,610
  • Tales of the World Radiant Mythology :222,068

Just a few examples, I was slightly wrong only Tales game that had a worst frist week than Tales of Hearts was Tales of Rebirth on the PSP.

Oh, If you meant that Hearts sold poorly for a tales of game in general then I agree with you, it sold like crap. I think they're good sales for a HD version of a 4-5 year old game considering the original's sales though. Abyss on 3ds only did 25k more and that was a port of a much more popular game.