By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could the Wii hit over 150 million??(because China)

loadedstatement said:
JL thinks 8-9% of the world will own Wii's. lol Is that even possible seeing that the Wii isnt even available in Africa and other 3rd world countries/continents?

The areasa in which Wii is released already is over 1.2 billion, probably nearer to 1.5 billion, that is over 18% of the world's population, even if it doesn't launch anywhere else

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
swyggi said:
Isn't China a communist nation? If so, they won't allow businesses to prosper over there since everything is run by the government.

It's pretty much of an a state capitalism in China. They have four different economic sectors that are run totally different. Some are still run by state planning others are more liberal than the most liberal in the US.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
SlorgNet said:
China is still two years away. China's GDP hit $3.43 trillion at the end of 2007, according to the China Daily. That means average per capita income is $2,640, or $220 a month. Way too low to support a gaming market where even the cheapest console costs $120 (PS2).

But there's hope for 2010. Here's why: history shows that a game market takes off when per capita income hits $5,000 or so. (This is what happened in Russia.) China's urban regions are 45% of population and have three times the income of the rural regions. Calculate out the numbers using basic algebra, and it turns out China's urban per capita GDP is $3,690, while rural GDP is $1010.

Assuming two more years of 10% growth, and China hits the magic $5,000 market. It will become a huge game market, no question.

India is currently only one-third as wealthy per capita as China, so it's unlikely they'll become a significant game market until 2015 or so.

Thats PER CAPITA in a country with 1,3 BILLION people. Of course there is a market already. It's enough with 400 million people that can afford a Wii.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

Ahhh... there goes JL and A_T with their outlandish predictions again. Good to see the new year holds the same exact craziness as the last year

DMeisterJ said:
Ahhh... there goes JL and A_T with their outlandish predictions again. Good to see the new year holds the same exact craziness as the last year

Don't be bitter DM, not everyone has the insight, i'm certain there are other things you are good at

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

no way wii will pass 300mln console shipment - how long it would be on the market?12-15 years? i think it would be 155 for the whole life time.

waron said:
no way wii will pass 300mln console shipment - how long it would be on the market?12-15 years? i think it would be 155 for the whole life time.

If its still selling well after 12 years it'll be well beyond 300 Million

It could. Probably won't though... a backwords compatable and cheap Wii 2 will likely be out in 5-6 years.

So it won't be like the PS2, who has only had the super expensive PS3 as a successor.

Predicting is okay, stating your predictions are facts is arrogant, conceited and inane. People who are nearing 30 should know better than to rile up the kids with supernatural bedtime stories...

@ Avinash_Tyagi

Oh I'm not bitter, I've reached the point of indifference. I was just pointing out that even thought the year changed, everything else stays the same.