By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Re)Discovering Metroid Prime - ten years later

Quick story:

Back in 2002 my son had Metroid Prime for his GC, but never played it much.  I tried it 2-3 times, could never get into it.  Found all the scanning boring and gameplay slow.  I also hated dual analog for aiming - was a long time PC gamer.

In 2007 my son had a Wii and had Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.  I don't remember why, since he wasn't a big Metroid fan, maybe we just rented it for a while, but again, I tried it a couple times, found it to be a better experience with the wiimote controls but still slow and tedious.  Never got into it.

In 2010 Metroid: Other M came out and I was really intriqued by it's retro gameplay, bought the game, and quite enjoyed it (I ignored the story/characterization - I don't buy games for that, I buy games to play).  Loved the atmosphere, the exploration, the unique world and the gameplay

So last week I was bored, didn't want to continue any games I was in the midst of and felt like something a little meatier so on a whim I booted up Metroid Prime (Trilogy - I'm a collector) and something strange happened.   It just clicked.  Now I'm loving the game.  The same game I had lying around for years collecting dust, I'm now enjoying and wondering how I never saw in it then, what I see now.     Maybe it was coming from M:oM now, instead of Unreal Tournament that allowed me to enjoy MP for what it is, and not what it isn't.    

Around the Network

Metroid is a great series! Were all waiting on Metroid for Wii U! That one should have great gameplay and awesome graphics!

edit: that game will take you awhile! You got 3 long ass games! You'll be busy for weeks, unless your playing 8 hours a day lol

Same thing happening with me and Paper Mario right now, after I played Super Paper Mario.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

yeah , those are great games , and that has happened to me several times , but i'm glad you enjoy it good for you :]

Gamerace said:

Maybe it was coming from M:oM now, instead of Unreal Tournament that allowed me to enjoy MP for what it is, and not what it isn't.    

And that is why you did not like it at first, you approached it as a FPS. I am sure that the reason why this game did not sell more was because people were expecting an FPS game rather than an adventure game.

Glad that you like the game. I wish I stil had my copy of Metroid Prime.

Around the Network

The great thing about the game is you can explore at your own pace and soak up the atmosphere. Its my favorite Gamecube game hands down. I haven't tried it with motion controls because of how expensive/difficult it is to get the Prime Trilogy but would like to in the future.

Gamerace said:

Quick story:

Back in 2002 my son had Metroid Prime for his GC, but never played it much.  I tried it 2-3 times, could never get into it.  Found all the scanning boring and gameplay slow.  I also hated dual analog for aiming - was a long time PC gamer.

Metroid Prime doesn't use dual-analog controls.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I was instantly blown away by Metroid Prime. The controls (perfected later in Trilogy), worked fine for me thanks to the lock-on feature. The scanning, for the most part, was largely optional - I liked it because I was so caught up in the lore, but admittedly the scanning became more and more tedious with each sequel.

The atmosphere, level design and visuals were just astonishing to me. I remember an EGM editor saying, "It's like the best game from six years in the future fell through a time warp". I couldn't agree more.

Metroid Prime was truly ahead of its time. Especially when it came to first-person platforming.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Wait till you play Super Metroid. I don't know how Nintendo can give it away for 30 pennies!  Especially when you think about it,  Super Metroid sells for $50 on eBay!!!  I personally like the NES the best for difficulty and item placement.  

Anyways, Prime is a truly successful rebirth of the franchise.