By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Did I assault my ex girlfriend?

My ex's cheating had emotionally and psychologically destroyed me. I even believed that everything was my fault and wanted to save our relationship. I talked to her after coincidentally spotting her while I was walking. Finding each other is inevitable because we do live about five minutes away from each other. She kept walking away and I did try to slow her down by walking in front of her to act like a barrier. Then I cried while hugging her and telling her I'm sorry. Part of me thought she'd eventually hug me back and comfort me. I did stop hugging her once I realized she really wanted me to. Eventually I realized that I really couldn't convince her to just talk to me and so I walked away. All I did is try to talk to her. I did not force anything upon her. I did walk away when I realized all my efforts failed and that she really did just want me to go away.

I now understand that unconsented phsyical contact is battery but it only would've been unconsented had I persisted after realizing, am I correct? I feel really bad now because I hadn't a clue that I may have committed assault. What is the definition of assault in criminal and cival law and did I actually commit it? This is something that I need to know. Story gets more interesting. I was stupidly advised to play my saxophone for her. I memorized a song she really likes and tried to play it for her. I guess I thought being romantic would've gotten her to talk to me again. I mean it works in the movies. I couldn't even play the song properly because I was so nervous. She ran away from me and I tried to talk to her again but she still wouldn't listen. Then I sank to the ground and said "I just want to die." She said "Then die" and left me there. Did I do anything genuinely bad? I already moved on but she's accusing me of assaulting her now. Here are a few defenses I found:

• Self-defense
  • Lack of intent / knowledge
  • No bodily injury
  • Insanity
  • Intoxication  (does not include voluntary intoxication)

I believe that my defenses are lack of intent and knowledge and no bodily injury. What do you guys think? Check out these two links for more information regarding assault:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Assault+%28crime%29

http://introublewiththelaw.com/simple-assault-vs-aggravated-assault/

Around the Network

you'll be ok, although that story was so sad :'(

Leave her alone. Psychologically you are only pushing her away more because you are emotionally available, crying, clingy, etc

Right now is not the time to be sweet and loving because that will only push her away further. I know that makes no sense but it is true.

What you need to do is act as if you don't care what so ever. Wear a smile and move on. Go on dates if you can, be spotted with friends having fun etc. This is what will drive her crazy because it shows her that you dont need her. She wants you to need her. 

Just trust me on this. Leave her alone.  Dont chase her, let her chase you.  And stop feeling sorry for yourself.  That isnt helping and is making things worst in reality

Did I assault her though? I'm already over her. I just want to know if I assaulted her.

luigiman5555 said:
Did I assault her though?

No you did not assualt her but i assume you wanted more information seeing as how your story was longer than just "assualting".  If she wants to take you to court it is her word over yours and unless she has some kind of proof of "assault"  then she has no case

Around the Network

You've only committed assault if you cause psychological distress to the victim where they believe they are going to be physically harmed by your action.

Let's have some examples:
If you wind up to punch someone and then stop an inch away from their face without hitting them you have committed only assault.
If you wind up to punch someone and then punch them in the face you have committed assault and battery.
If you punch someone in the back of the head you have committed only battery because they did not see it coming.
If you wind up to punch someone in the back of the head and stop an inch away you have done nothing.

As for your hug it could be interpreted from her point of view if she stretched it that it was assault but really I wouldn't worry.

No you didn't assault her in any way unless you physically made her feel pain. On the other hand if you keep following her like that she could say you are a stalker. If everything you said is true i feel bad for you, she cheats on you and acts like a real you know to you while you wanna save the relationship. she even said then die, that's a big low. Sounds like she is no good for you man, let her go probably doesn't deserve you.

luigiman5555 said:

Did I assault her though? I'm already over her. I just want to know if I assaulted her.

No.

You need to get revenge though, she treated you horribly.

Ok, at this point, not sure if serious. Didn't you say a few minutes ago that you moved on and found another gf?

naruball said:
Ok, at this point, not sure if serious. Didn't you say a few minutes ago that you moved on and found another gf?

I did move on but now she's still accusing me of assaulting her and I just want to know that I didn't.