By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pixel Junk Monster = better than crack.

I have played this game for at least 8 hours in the last 24 hours with my roomate and both of us have had more fun than should be humanly possible. He says THIS game makes him want to buy a PS3 more than anything else, simply because it is so damn fun.

It is a tower defense game with a very simple aesthetic, but a lot of complexity. There are 10 different types of towers (you start with three and have to spend gems, an alternate currency, to unlock the rest in the battles). Waves of monsters come at you and you have to position your towers to maximize damage to individual types and to ensure a flexible defense so that the hordes of monsters don't slaughter the innocent little villagers.

I HIGHLY recommend this game to everyone. You will have so much fun. There is a lot of replay value too, since their are at least 20 levels and incentives to get perfects on every level.

Here are some screens and a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4BuokheJYUo

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

your screens didn't come out it seems.

edit: ahh nvm...they appear to be working now

OT: I completely agree, although I haven't gotten as addicted as you seem to have ^^;;....I still enjoy the game utterly and it's more than worth the 8 dollars on PSN.

They should work now.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

What are those little things that look like coins? Do you actually have a character that you walk around to position the towers? If they are coins, do you have to pick up these coins? If there is a character, can your character die from being hit by mobs?

Edit: nm  I answered some of my own questions.  Coins, yes, yes, ?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

@ Andir )

you get money from died enemies (the coins) and have to collect them with your character , but if you get hit by enemies you'll lose coins - the coins are needed to build new towers

you lose the game , if all vilagers die

Around the Network

Interesting... couldn't this game be done on the Wii? ;)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Steve 3.2 said:
Interesting... couldn't this game be done on the Wii? ;)

No, it's clearly a contracted exclusive.

On the other hand, it's just Desktop Tower Defense with a new coat of paint and a few bells and whistles. Play it here, for free!

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

Even still, I own Pixel Junk Monsters, and I'm not sorry I purchased it at all. Fun stuff, the twists on gameplay are amusing!  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

One thing to note for those of you who played this, to get the higher level towers, you have to save up gems, enter the little house and then click X. Then you can buy whichever ones you want. I highly recommend the Flame, Hive, and Laser towers.

Here's a question...I've recently run into little round green guys who have shields around them it seems....you wouldn't happen to know the best way to kill these little bastards would you?

Torillian said:
Here's a question...I've recently run into little round green guys who have shields around them it seems....you wouldn't happen to know the best way to kill these little bastards would you?

The Flame Tower.  It is the best against the highly shielded ground units.  With a few of the bosses or faster enemy types you might need a Hive Tower to help.  Mortars are pretty disappointing for how much they cost.  

I think the Hive is the most powerful, but I tend to build Flame Towers first because they are good against every ground type.

Lasers are GREAT against flyers, and Tesla towers aren't bad against spiders.  Tesla Towers and Ice Towers, at least from my experience, are the least useful.  Mortars are useful on occasion, but they are awful compared to Flame Towers.