By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and 3rd parties *Formerly; Nintendo is f*cking up big times with 3rd parties*

^And Rol strikes again, I couldn't of phrase those sentences better myself...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

My rebuttal is still relevant, because if developers were truly serious about the Wii, but held back by limitations regarding the controls, then their efforts and ambition would have still shone through in the graphics department, as well as in the overall design of the game. The third party games we've seen on the Wii were usually plagued by two or all of the following traits:

1) Lacking controls.
2) Subpar graphics.
3) Lack of content, poor game design.

The supposed issues with motion controls also don't work as a universal excuse, because it was perfectly possible to create and sell good games on the Wii that barely used motion controls or didn't use them at all. I can once again point to Resident Evil 4 that was released in mid-2007 and shattered its sales expectations. Pointer functionality was easy to implement and a selling point for shooting games. There were of course also Nintendo games that proved that you didn't necessarily need motion controls to be successful on the Wii.

At the end of the day there really was a pathetically small number of games that made successful attempts at gesture-based motion contrlols so this may be an indication that it was more difficult to achieve than it could/should have been.

Addressing this part specifically, at the end of the day there was a pathetically small number of third party games that seriously tried, whether that concerns controls, graphics or content. I could believe there was a problem with the Wii and Nintendo, if it was clear that games were held back by the machine. But all the evidence we have, the actual games, doesn't support that Nintendo is the main culprit (which is DanneSandin's claim). There's a chance that Nintendo held some tools back, but that wouldn't really matter in the big picture, because third parties clearly didn't use the tools they actually had to their full potential (it wasn't even close).

To be clear, no where am I claiming Nintendo is/was the main culprit, I am merely advocating for a more balanced and less one-sided view on the situation. As I've already said in this thread, even if Nintendo withheld information or supplied poor development tools to third parties, everything we know from developers proves that Sony were far worse in this regard when it came to developing on PS2 and PS3, and we know that never had a serious effect on the support they got.

Perhaps Sony made up for their poorly documented and unintuitive hardware designs by moneyhatting publishers to guarantee support, while Nintendo didn't. It wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the explanation for why Sony got more support despite having a less friendly developer environment.

But my main point wasn't necessarily addressed to the same part of the development community as yours was. We can agree that there are developers who's support Nintendo can gain simply by being on good terms with their respective owners/publishers. This is probably true for most studios owned by EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc. In these cases even if the studios themselves don't like Nintendo's console, the publisher will force them to make quality games for it (at least on par with other versions) and they'd have no choice but to comply.

On the other hand, there are other development studios, usually more independant ones (at least in the west), but also a few who have proven themselves to be successful enough they can make their own choices when it comes to platforms, that can't be persuaded to develop on Nintendo systems in this way. More often than not, I'd imagine these are actually the studios Nintendo want to work with, as they are more likely to be driven by creative vision and desire to innovate than the big publi$hers. They are also the ones who are more personally invested in their work, regardless of the platform it releases on, and are therefor more likely to put actual effort into their games, regardless of whether or not they believe there is massive sales potential.

The way to approach these studios is not by force, but by sparking their imagination, creating an environment in which they can fulfill a dream project they've been tinkering with in their spare time, being a facilitator rather than an inhibitor. In the case of these kinds of studios, Nintendo needs to be as open and forthcoming and friendly as possible. They need to give these teams all the tools and hardware access Nintendo's own internal teams get. If a developer comes to them with a cool idea for using the Wiimote in a game he's passionate about, having him held back by arbitrary restrictions benefits nobody, and at the end of the day may even frustrate the developer and deter them from working on the system again. 

My main complaint against Nintendo last gen isn't how they treated big publishers, because we all know for them moneyhatting has become the standard, and Nintendo are right not to support it. However the multiple arbitrary restrictions they placed on developers who actually did care about utilising the system - from WiiWare size limitations, to unfair payment plans, to the terrible online store and restrictions on interacting with strangers online, including other possible roadblocks suggested by the OP - were detrimental to all.

edit: As a final thought, my impression as an outsider without any knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes is that surprisingly enough, Sony is actually a far more approachable partner than Nintendo for these types of studios, despite having more complicated hardware. So maybe it's not surprising they seem to be getting far more support in this area.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

This exchange reminded me of something I read a few years ago from a developer complaining about the Wii. I'll see if maybe I can dig it up, but the gist of it was about having a hard time making the most out of Wii's innovative controls due to some hardware limitations. At the time I remember thinking it sounded like the developer was saying you needed more processing power and/or memory to create meaningful implementations of gesture and motion based controls. This is also the reason the complaint stood out in my mind, as for once it seemed like a legitimate issue, and not one related to SD graphics or lack of advanced shaders.

Notice the bolded is referring  to controls and not graphics, so your rebuttle about Shin'en's technical achievements is not really relevant. At the end of the day there really was a pathetically small number of games that made successful attempts at gesture-based motion contrlols so this may be an indication that it was more difficult to achieve than it could/should have been.

My rebuttal is still relevant, because if developers were truly serious about the Wii, but held back by limitations regarding the controls, then their efforts and ambition would have still shone through in the graphics department, as well as in the overall design of the game. The third party games we've seen on the Wii were usually plagued by two or all of the following traits:

1) Lacking controls.
2) Subpar graphics.
3) Lack of content, poor game design.

The supposed issues with motion controls also don't work as a universal excuse, because it was perfectly possible to create and sell good games on the Wii that barely used motion controls or didn't use them at all. I can once again point to Resident Evil 4 that was released in mid-2007 and shattered its sales expectations. Pointer functionality was easy to implement and a selling point for shooting games. There were of course also Nintendo games that proved that you didn't necessarily need motion controls to be successful on the Wii.

At the end of the day there really was a pathetically small number of games that made successful attempts at gesture-based motion contrlols so this may be an indication that it was more difficult to achieve than it could/should have been.

Addressing this part specifically, at the end of the day there was a pathetically small number of third party games that seriously tried, whether that concerns controls, graphics or content. I could believe there was a problem with the Wii and Nintendo, if it was clear that games were held back by the machine. But all the evidence we have, the actual games, doesn't support that Nintendo is the main culprit (which is DanneSandin's claim). There's a chance that Nintendo held some tools back, but that wouldn't really matter in the big picture, because third parties clearly didn't use the tools they actually had to their full potential (it wasn't even close).

Even with limitations, Nintendo addressed this by releasing motion plus, which shows they listened to someone at least lol, but it wasn't really used.

Some game that worked well with the limitations from 3rd parties was RE4 and Godfather. Both these games worked well as effort was put in. 

This is just a couple examples where developers who tried made good controls. So others who complained clearly did not play some of these games.

lol Ahhhh, the old "I have top secret inside info but I have ZERO proof" gag. Never gets old.

A. I'm gonna call slight bullshit on the basis that in the last three gens, third party developers produced some of the prettiest/best games for Nintendo's home consoles. Case in point:

N64 - Turok 1 and 2, Doom 64 (for it's time), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo, Beetle Adventure Racing, Ridge Racer 64, etc.

Gamecube - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II and III, RE 1, Zero and 4, Soul Caliber II, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, etc.

Wii - No More Heroes 1 and 2, Muramasa, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, RE Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, MadWorld, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Goldeneye (despite being a lame CoD knock-off), etc.

2. I really don't think it's a case of "there's no 3rd party support for Wii U". The launch lineup, on paper, looked fantastic. Many people moaned that several of them were ports of games on other consoles, yet I'm sure many of those same people used to bitch that Nintendo consoles didn't GET those games. Fact of the matter is, Rayman Legends and Lego City: Undercover, both, were supposed to be originally released far closer to the system launch. They were both delayed by their respective publishers, and then Ubisoft pulled their BS with Rayman. It's unfortunate (VERY) that Jan. and Feb. have been such dry months for Wii U. But shit, as the expression goes, is about to pick up from March onward, with games like Lego City and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (complete with a console bundle) finally coming. It was a long two months, and that shouldn't have happened, but that in no way implies that nothing's coming. A lot of 3rd party projects simply haven't been announced. Who would have thought just a month or two ago, that Wii U was going to get Watch Dogs? Yet it is.

I have no doubt that Nintendo might "save the best hardware tricks for themselves" to some extent, but then again, I'm sure EVERY 1st party developer does that a little, Sony and Microsoft included. Hell, even Sega used to always make the best games on their consoles (for the most part) as well. BUT, I really don't think Nintendo is "gimping" people as is suggested, and certainly not to that extent. I also don't buy that 3rd party support went from looking strong at launch back in Nov., to "totally disappearing" a few months later. What it is, is that people tend to overreact to dry spells like Jan-Feb, coupled with lack of news/reveals on new upcoming 3rd party titles. The internet is the breeding ground for overreaction, after all.

But quite frankly, I for one am not worried. I'm still confident that Wii U will see stronger 3rd party support than Wii did (and that's taking into consideration that Wii still got a decent amount of quality 3rd party titles, just not a lot of multi-platform titles).

@DanneSandin

How are you supposed to know that insider info? I'm just curious.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network
fordy said:
Barbarossa said:

Battle.net maybe? With blizzard supporting it not impossible I guess and you also said they kind of mentioned it already. Oh, does this mean WoW on PS4?

fordy said:

DanneSandin said:

fordy said:

DanneSandin said:

He doesn't have to have that since he's a developer... What he's told me is that 3rd parties is sick and tired of the way Nintendo is acting; I don't know if he represents the whole industry...

Developers don't make the decisions, the executives do. If he doesn't have to have much business sense, then he also shouldn't be speaking for EXECUTIVE business decisions. How is this, therefore, a "trustworthy source"?

I'm calling BS on this. It lacks common sense and defies any kind of business logic.

I couldn't agree more, and that's why I said that Nintendo is fucking up big times.

Nintendo is fucking up because your agument is illogical? No, they've been doing so long before that.

Let me give you an example of this. I'm an executive, and I call for a game to be developed for the Wii. Now, as an executive, how do you think I'd react if my developers came back and said "We refuse to develop for the Wii because we're not entitled to the same memory allocation as Nintendo"? Keep in mind that the executive doesn't give two shits about technicalities, they're in charge of financial and overall business decisions.

A working example of this was Square moving from Nintendo exlcusitivity. It wasn't done on a TECHNICAL sense. It was done on a FINANCIAL sense. In fact, look up some youtube videos on the history of Squaresoft, and the workers at the time explained how executives came in one day and just told the team "We're going with PlayStation now". It wasn't the devs making this decision, they just did what they were told. A lot of devs were excited, and a lot of devs were disappointed by the decision, but they still had to follow executive orders.

I think Square abandoned Nintendo because of the lack of a cd-rom. They just thought it was the future, turns out they were right. A mistake Nintendo still haven't recovered from.

If cartridges costed the same per MB as CDs, do you think that Square would have moved? 

Once again, the technical details didn't bother them. After all, originally they weren't phased by it since they made a demo of FF7 for the N64. It was when they made a massive game that was going to be incredibly expensive to fit on cartridge that they decided to take the cheaper option of CDs. This has been mentioned many times by Square staff in interviews. Once again, purely financial decision. They didn't do it just because "CDs are the future".

Yes, I think they would have moved anyway because the game they wanted to make would not have fit on a cartridge.

FF7= 3 CD-roms, total game size roughly 1.8 GB according to Sony. N64 cartridge=64MB

http://xenon.stanford.edu/~geksiong/papers/sts145/Squaresoft%20and%20FF7.htm

This article features some interesting tidbits of what happened. Presumably Enix's Dragon Quest left Nintendo for the same reason.

Of course, there was a financial aspect as well, plus Nintendos relationship with Square seemed somewhat infectious at the time. In this case, though, I believe the technical limitations was the main reason for the split because it inhibited their artistic vision for the game.

DanneSandin said:

MAJOR UPDATE: The exclusive title coming to the Wii U is STILL ON! It has been postponed though, so as not to compete with another title due for release at around the same time.

i think what you said is pure opinion and based loosely on rumor claims and nothing more. i highly doubt 75% of what you said will become true at or during e3. also nintendo wouldnt do what you have stated and treated 3rd parties like shit, and you honestly think sony hasnt or m$ hasnt treated 3rd parties like "shit" at some point in the previous/current gen. i strongly believe nintendo will have there best e3 in the past 3 or 4 years in my opinion this year and the reason i think is because they know they have too. do to the current wii u sales and the upcoming systems from sony/m$.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I dream with the day Nintendo anounces a hw piece that doesnt allow non-Nintendo games....imagine that...

crikey,i only made it halfway

Nintendo & 3rd parties are they still not getting on,it seems like sony is getting blamed for something here,is this xbox game going multiplat like gears or something as I understand it or GT Forza that would be about the only megaton meltdown I could think about not some long lost rpg only known to netnerds,nintendo cancelling a big 3rd party multiplat?

still I look forward to the revelations

Above & Beyond