By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why doesn't Microsoft discontinue the Xbox 360 in Japan?

I can't be the first one to ask this but I really want to know what other people think about this.

I doubt microsoft is making a profit from the 360 in Japan. Sometimes microsoft can't even get more than 1,000 360's to sell.

People in Japan hate the type of games the Xbox has on it and microsoft has tried to get exclusives that appeal to the Japanese market. (They did get a Tales game as a temp exlusive)

Some retailers in Japan don't even sell the 360 anymore. 

So what do you guys think?

I think its because that the poor 360 sales in Japan doesn't really affect Microsoft and they don't really care about losing money in that region because the Xbox 360 is sooo successful in other countries.

Around the Network

firstly, you're not.

secondly, it would be bad business. dropping support for the region would guarantee failure next gen. they showed growth GenOverGen with the 360 and they could grow moreso next gen, but only if they project stability.

probably to bench mark on japanese market?
it is not like they are trying anymore but the niche market can't sustain it in japan.... maybe they will put more effort on 720 or just completely do the same since there is a bigger fish in the sea

They are mostly in japan for software support I would guess

why would they? the Australia market is smaller yet, Microsoft sells the 360 here.

Around the Network

I'm thinking that they are just hoping that the next gen takes off for them. I wonder if their breaking even in japan.

Microsoft handled the Xbox 360 so badly in Japan it amazes me.

First off, they launch with only 5 or so titles there, and most of the titles were Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing, Need for Speed, and Condemned. Yes, Microsoft actually launched its console in Japan with Need for Speed. Dead or Alive 5 didn't make the launch - they should have forced Tecmo to get it out earlier, not that it would matter anyway.

In fact, Microsoft ignored the 360 for all of 2006. No wonder it flopped! When MS finally started to release games for it for a brief period, it ended up selling decently.

MS could have sold pretty well in Japan but they tried to force Japan to change their tastes.

Because the aren't quitters?

The 360 is still carried in 95% of Japanese stores that sell games. It actually has decent-sized sections in most stores as well. I would imagine they would still want a foothold in stores here for the 720.

It has definitely become a niche system here, but the overall software support is excellent (bar MGS Revengeance and some other titles that are exclusive to the PS3 over here). As a mainly 360 gamer in Japan, there are only a few titles that I would have had to import from the US. Other than that I have been able to buy and play most everything no problem. The shmup support is AWESOME and used games are MUCH cheaper on the 360 versus the PS3.

Cause they sell a whole 500 sweet units every week :) next gen They''ll up it to 520 XD