By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official PlayStation 4 Thread- News: PS4 PlayStation Plus Details: Cross Game Chat doesn’t require the service / News: DayZ set to arrive on PS4, but could skip Xbox One / News: PS4 Includes 500GB Ha

What did you think of E3?

Great 116 75.82%

Boring in the first half ... 5 3.27%

Bad 1 0.65%

Total:122
BasilZero said:

Tagging and why doesnt this and the Wii-U thread get stickied but the Xbox one does :O?

IDK.

Around the Network

Netflix, Amazon Instant, More Coming to PlayStation 4

The Netflix and Amazon Instant video services will return to PlayStation 4. In addition, Crackle, Crunchyroll, Facebook, Vudu, NHL, MLB.TV, and Cinemanow applications will be available on PS4.

The PlayStation Plus and Video Unlimited services will return to the PS4 as well.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/20/netflix-amazon-instant-coming-to-playstation-4

New Final Fantasy on PlayStation 4 to Debut at E3 2013

Buy a few potions to get ready.

Today, during Sony's massive PlayStation conference in New York City, Final Fantasy Brand Director Shinji Hashimoto announced that a new Final Fantasy would debut at E3 2013.

The announcement came suddenly following Luminous Game Engine Director Yoshihisa Hashimoto's presentation. Although no details about this new Final Fantasy were given, Shinji Hashimoto did say his announcement was connected to the PlayStation 4 reveal, implying that the next Final Fantasy would be revealed as a PlayStation 4 game.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/new-final-fantasy-on-playstation-4-to-debut-at-e3-2013

PS4 Will Not Require An Always-Online Connection

Stemming fears of the always-online requirement still rumored strongly for the next Xbox, a Sony PR rep confirmed toKotaku that: "PS4 games will be playable without an Internet connection."

I'm still hearing from at least one very good source who hasn't failed me yet that the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, will require an online connection, though that source isn't sure whether the console would tolerate spotty, dropped connections.

In an interview with Eurogamer at yesterday's big PS4 unveiling in New York, Sony's head of worldwide game studios, Shuhei Yoshida said, of PS4 gaming, "Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Sony is hoping that you would keep your machine online, though, so they can keep quietly patching games, updating games, sending games to you and all sorts of other stuff. This is a company, mind you, that painted a vision yesterday of a "psychic" online store that would learn your tastes and have the next game you might want to buy already downloaded to your machine before you even knew it existed—just waiting for you to click to pay.

(Note: Last year, when we reported the PS4's codename—Orbis—we also reported that, while there probably wouldn't be an always-online connection for PS4, that we were hearing that users would need to register their games online. We're following up with Sony to see if that is at all part of the current PS4 plan. Even if it had been, things can change and we're trying to keep you as up to date as we can.)

Source: http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

PlayStation 4 will play used games

February 21, 2013 4:47AM PST
By Martin Gaston, News Editor

PlayStation 4 will not block pre-owned games; people want to use their physical software "anywhere," says Sony executive.

Sony's freshly announced PlayStation 4 will allow users to play used games, Sony has announced.

It was previously rumoured that the machine might be looking to block pre-owned software from running, though Sony has now shot down this idea on the evening it formally unveiled its next-gen hardware to the world.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida allayed previous fears: "Used games can play on PS4," he said.

Speaking about consumers' expectations when they purchase a physical disc, Yoshida said that people "purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? "So that's my expectation."

Another source speaking to Eurogamer suggested that a Sony patent uncovered in January which would register software to one machine, and one machine only, never had anything to do with PlayStation 4 in the first place.

During its unveiling, Sony confirmed the PlayStation 4 would feature a PC-like architecture and x86 processor. The publisher also announced new entries in the Killzone and inFamous franchises, before unveiling new IP in the form of Drive Club and Knack. Media Molecule showed off a new sculpting prototype, Capcom unveiled its new title Deep Down (working title), and Square Enix promised to unveil a new Final Fantasy game at E3.

For more information on PlayStation 4, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

I GOT ONE QUESTION! ARE YOU READY?

Hey, Watch Dogs Sneakily Showed Off The First Instance of PS4 Multiplayer Last Night

Watch Dogs came out of cover last night and Ubisoft's open-world hacking game had a strong showing that built on the buzz of its surprise unveiling at last year's E3. Among the things announced about Watch Dogswas the fact that it would be debuting first on PS4.

Last June, Ubisoft kept mum on which platforms the game would be coming to. But they talked it up as next-gen then and it seemed to be just a matter of time until it was announced for Orbis and/or Durango. There's a reason Sony's upcoming console got preferential treatment, though.

"When we showed them the game, I think they understood immediately what the game was all about. They talked about hyperconnectivity, too," said Watch Dogscreative director Jonathan Morin. "They talk about playing everywhere. They talk about being outside of their games and still being connected to the whole experience. I think because of those things and the fact that the players who buy that console will already be in that mode, there's going to be a natural extension of what Watch Dogs is all about on PlayStation 4."

Here's a conundrum, then: what if you own a PS3 and don't feel like upgrading to the PS4? Will you be getting a lesser version of Watch Dogs?

"No, I don't think so. I think it's more… I mean, of course, new machine means new tools and means an extension of the original vision. So, PlayStation 4 will be great for Watch Dogs," Morin told me. "That being said, I firmly believe that creating a game experience starts with what you want to do and achieve as a team. It has nothing to do with tools. The tools are there to facilitate certain things. So the same experience is there on the PS3 and other consoles. Players will have the same enjoyment; they will not feel any letdown."

Easy for Morin to say, sure, but he acknowledges that folks are going to be comparing the various versions of Watch Dogs. When I pressed him on what they'd see, he waffled on offering any kind of specifics. "Definitely, they're going to look at the differences. They're going to feel that maybe one way… where I think it's interesting for PS4, it's just a natural extension of what they [Sony] feel the future of experience will be. So just that means that the players who will buy the PS4 will have that state of mind; they will already be in that mode. So it creates an interesting ecosystem to experience Watch Dogs. But it's more on that [conceptual] level, I would say."

Got it. So, by virtue of plunking down their cash first, PS4 owners' minds might be more ready for Watch Dogs and its core concepts than current-gen players. And the game's feature—being able to hack the infrastructure of a hyperconnected, electronically automated version of Chicago—was shown off on stage last night.

And, if you were looking carefully, you even saw some multiplayer.

At 4:12 in the demo video, you'll see the action zoom in on a security camera that appears to get hacked. Who's getting into the device's security code? It didn't look like Aiden Pearce was doing it. I asked Morin if it was another player jumping into the Watch Dogs demo. Here's that exchange:

Kotaku: I seem to remember that you guys talked about asynchronous multiplayer design at E3. Is that what we saw at the end of the demo, where the camera was being hacked?

Morin: Yeah, that's a nice observation. Not everybody picked that up. Watch Dogs is all about hyperconnectivity. To me, that has to mean all the time and anywhere. So yes, other people are out there all the time, when you don't expect it. Whether you're playing single-player or multiplayer, it's happening. You're saying asynchronous but it's much more real-time than that…

Kotaku: Because we saw a real-time demo tonight, right? What we saw was another player jumping into the game and affecting a certain part of the gameplay…

Morin: Yes, exactly. There's more detail to come on that.

Kotaku: And that was a camera being hacked. To help or hurt Aiden?

Morin: Oh, help! Or not! I think both are interesting questions. We'll let players do pretty much what they want on those terms. And I think that what's interesting is that since we're creating a fantasy that you can progressively control all of Chicago and monitor everything… if you can do that… you need to ask yourself if Aiden Pearce can do all of this, can anybody else out there do the same thing? And the answer is absolutely yes.

Kotaku: He's not a special snowflake.

Morin: He is not. [laughs]

If Ubisoft and Sony are to be believed and that was a live demo running in real time, people watching the PlayStation Meeting event last night got to see Watch Dogs make good on some ofthe jump-in-other-people's-games promises Sony made about the PS4. It was a moment you missed if you turned away, but those few seconds represent a big part of the next-gen's appeal. Let's see some more of that soon

Source(video on the website couldn't copy it): http://kotaku.com/5986057?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Around the Network

PS4 Will Support Trophies

Although Sony didn’t confirm if the PS4 would continue to use the Trophy reward system for games, the PS4′s user interface reveals otherwise. The updated XMB on the PS4 shows that the console will support trophies, and will show your stats directly from the Game Select screen. Two separate screens from the PS4 UI show the existant of trophies.

The PSN profile page shows the player’s full name, PSN ID and trophy count. The PS4 will even have a “Recent Activity” feed like the one found on the PS Vita, showing what your friends recently played, bought or recent trophies unlocked.

The game’s trophy count will be shown in the Game Select screen, along with other information about the game.

So that's a "game selection screen"? I suppose that might be it. There is still an XMB vibe about ti. I'd guess from the main menu there is the games folder/app and it brings you here after you select it. Games go left to right while the info is up and down. Extra stuff appears to the side, like gifts and the most viewed video.

I wonder how XMB like the system menus will be. I hope they keep going with something like this, just better looking like above.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I heard somewhere that Killzone SF is a launch title.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Sony seeking widespread studio support for PS4 Vita Remote Play

PS Vita and PlayStation Eye combo could theoretically mimic Wii U GamePad tech

PlayStation wants all first and third-party studio partners to consider PS VitaRemote Play as a standard feature for future PS4 games, a company executive has said.

[PS4: All the news | All the facts | Every video of all the games | Official pictures | PS4 Specs]

In an interview with Engadget, PlayStation Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said he wants developers to take a look at Remote Play functionality before submitting PS4 code for certification, and went on to promote the extra features that Remote Play can give developers.

"Some PS Vita games make use of the edge of the screen to add contextual buttons, that works really well, I think, and it's easy to see. So that kind of thing I'd like to see developers do on PS Vita over Remote Play."

The new Remote Play feature streams PS4 games to the PS Vita handheld with the help of patented network technologies that essentially turn the PS4 into a server.

In a style that mimics the Wii U, the Remote Play allows Vita owners to play their PS4 games anywhere around the home. But unlike with Nintendo's dual-pad tech, the Remote Play function is not mandatory for studios.

All PS4s will likely ship with the PlayStation 4 Eye - a Kinect-like device that can theoretically allow the PS Vita to behave in a similar manner to the Wii U GamePad.

Sony has already set a "holiday 2013" release for the PS4.

The PS4 release date is set for "holiday 2013", likely across Japan, Europe and the US.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392969/sony-seeking-widespread-studio-support-for-ps4-vita-remote-play/

‘Infamous: Second Son’ trailer produced in just two months

Josiah RenaudinFebruary 22, 2013NewsPlaystation 41 Comment

The trailer for Infamous: Second Son, one of the most impressive looking games present at the PlayStation 4′s coming-out party, was completed in just two months using the developer’s in-house PlayStation 4 engine.

Action-packed trailers built for prime time aren’t exactly a cakewalk to produce, but developer Sucker Punch managed to hit the deadline Sony gave the team and come to the show swinging. The game’s creator took toTwitter to let the world know that it took them just two months to craft the video, but quite a few sleepless nights were involved.

Judging from fan exciting, it was worth all the effort. We may night see Cole MacGrath and his band of colorful sidekicks anytime soon, but Second Son looks to be an exciting continuation of the Infamous fiction. Super-powered individuals will still be the focus, and it looks like they’re not exactly keen on the government trying to bring them down.

Look to pick up this super-charged sequel when the PlayStation 4 launches later this year.

What do you think about the direction this series is taking? Will you pick it up with your new PlayStation 4? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below

Source: http://stickskills.com/2013/02/22/infamous-second-son-trailer-produced-in-just-two-months/

Sony Flexible on PlayStation 4 Cost

Abandoning proprietary Cell architecture allows company to be competitive on price.

Sony is making a significant leap forward with the underlying technology in the PlayStation 4, but according to Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida, it isn't limiting the company's ability to be nimble in terms of the console's cost.

When asked if the company was prepared to compete with other consoles and hit a more favorable price, Yoshida said that Sony's decisions to use custom AMD hardware instead of its own proprietary Cell architecture has allowed it to save on R&D and production costs.

"The architecture choice we have made this time around has allowed us not to invest to create dedicated factories and conducting factories and things like that — so that helps in order for us to provide an affordable price to consumers."

While Sony has yet to offer a sense of what the system will cost, it seems as though the company understands that with the advent of gaming-capable sub-$200 smartphones and tablets, consumers are more cost-conscious than ever.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DualShock 4 design is 'near final'

'Only a few tweaks' expected before media hands-on at E3

The DualShock 4 controller that Sony showcased at its PlayStation Meeting on Wednesday was a near-final model, a company representative has said.

[PS4: All the news | All the facts | Every video of all the games | Official pictures | PS4 Specs]

PlayStation Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said the pad is "still in development in terms of final specs and design".

"It's near final. It's just gonna be small tweaks being done," he told Engadget.

On Wednesday Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 at a New York press conference. It also debuted a new PlayStation controllercomplete with a touch-pad and share button. Journalists and consumers will be able to play with the pad for the first time "by E3 I think", Yoshida added.

Sony has already set a "holiday 2013" release for the PS4.

The PS4 release date is set for "holiday 2013", likely across Japan, Europe and the US.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392964/ps4-dualshock-4-design-is-near-final/

Watch Dogs’ box art revealed

S.C. NolanFebruary 22, 2013NewsPlaystation 3Playstation 4Wii UXbox 360No Comments

In the wake of the PlayStation 4 announcement and Ubisoft’s subsequent reveal of its newest IP Watch Dogs, the publisher/developer has now made public the game’s cover design.

If you missed the announcement, Watch Dogs will put players in control of Aiden Pearce, a tech-savy vigilante capable of hacking into and controlling Chicago’s network of security cameras and personal information database .

The various forms of box art indicate a PC, PS3, WiiU and Xbox 360 version of the game. Though Ubisoft confirmed Watch Dogs as a dual-release title, the company has not yet released PS4 cover art.

Source: http://stickskills.com/2013/02/22/watch-dogs-box-art-revealed/

Chark said:
I heard somewhere that Killzone SF is a launch title.

Jimmy Fallon played the Demo on his show yesterday and the Guerilla representative said that the game releases when the PS4 launches, so he seems to agree with you lol