By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pach-Attack: Is PlayStation Plus Profitable?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

On what are you basing that number?

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't bought any PS Vita games because they've all been available on PS+. I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think in some cases, PS+ actually makes consumers LESS attached to the Vita, hurting sales in the short and long term.

PSN+ didn't hurt the PS3! So why would it hurt the Vita? At the end they will get the money from your subscription, even if you got PSN+ for free, theres a lot of people who didn't!.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
No one knows how many subscribers there are, all we know are percentual increases.

I saw the PS+ subscribers in my friendlist rose dramatically after june 2012, its now around 40 with PS+ out of 95 friends.

Best service of this entire gen.

WRONG!!!!

Best service ever!

Deyon said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

On what are you basing that number?

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't bought any PS Vita games because they've all been available on PS+. I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think in some cases, PS+ actually makes consumers LESS attached to the Vita, hurting sales in the short and long term.

PSN+ didn't hurt the PS3! So why would it hurt the Vita? At the end they will get the money from your subscription, even if you got PSN+ for free, theres a lot of people who didn't!.

It's very possible it's a profitable system for Sony, but I'm a little skeptical. I think it's a dangerous game giving software away for free when software sales are so low.

I'm glad Sony is doing it -- it's a great service for the fans -- but I think it might hurt overall software sales for Vita, thus discouraging developers from making more games.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who buy games on PS+ they wouldn't have normally because of the price drops, but I'm equally sure there are many who are using the service to save lots of money that would normally go to full game purchases.

Someone should do some research and find out if it's profitable, and whether it's helping or hurting Vita software sales.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

It's very possible it's a profitable system for Sony, but I'm a little skeptical. I think it's a dangerous game giving software away for free when software sales are so low.

I'm glad Sony is doing it -- it's a great service for the fans -- but I think it might hurt overall software sales for Vita, thus discouraging developers from making more games.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who buy games on PS+ they wouldn't have normally because of the price drops, but I'm equally sure there are many who are using the service to save lots of money that would normally go to full game purchases.

Someone should do some research and find out if it's profitable, and whether it's helping or hurting Vita software sales.

Who said they are giving away games for free? They're making loads of money off of subscriptions!!!!

They don't put up a brand new game, They only put up games that are old or didn't sell a lot or if theirs a sequel coming out and they want to make more people buy the sequel by putting the old one on PSN+ and make money while doing it.

Yes of course they make a profit. Think of the amount of DLC that is bought for the free games too. Most of the games that are on PS+ have been out for over a year so the sales of hard copies peaked a long time ago. 

Around the Network
Deyon said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Who said they are giving away games for free? They're making loads of money off of subscriptions!!!!

They don't put up a brand new game, They only put up games that are old or didn't sell a lot or if theirs a sequel coming out and they want to make more people buy the sequel by putting the old one on PSN+ and make money while doing it.

So Sony is charging people for old, unpopular games they wouldn't have bought otherwise?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

So Sony is charging people for old, unpopular games they wouldn't have bought otherwise?

You call Borderlands, Street Fighter, Red Redemtion, Saint's Row, Resident Evil.......etc, Unpopular? Not everyone knows about every great game that comes out.

Most of the games on + already made back their development cost from their original launch. Some of them have been on the market so long that by the time they are publish on + they would retail for less than $30. Not to mention Sony is not paying publishers $60 for a game but rather a much lower price.
Add in the fact that there are no middle man (GameStop, bestbuy, FedEx, ups) which reduce the cost of a game even more for Sony.

+ is doing publishers a favor, it brings attention to games that are great, but because they have been on the market so long they no longer sell. See for yourself, when was the last time you saw a game on + chart any weekly software sales chart.
I think they easily make money +, no doubt, and the subs are growing, it pays for itself.

loy310 said:
Most of the games on + already made back their development cost from their original launch. Some of them have been on the market so long that by the time they are publish on + they would retail for less than $30. Not to mention Sony is not paying publishers $60 for a game but rather a much lower price.
Add in the fact that there are no middle man (GameStop, bestbuy, FedEx, ups) which reduce the cost of a game even more for Sony.

+ is doing publishers a favor, it brings attention to games that are great, but because they have been on the market so long they no longer sell. See for yourself, when was the last time you saw a game on + chart any weekly software sales chart.
I think they easily make money +, no doubt, and the subs are growing, it pays for itself.

This.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Sony has to be making some sor of profit as it would have probably been cancelled or serverly stripped. Sony could probably take the hits for their own games they give out and we haven't seen any third-party dev saying PS+ is ruining their sales.