By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pach-Attack: Is PlayStation Plus Profitable?

GameTrailers
Is it a profit deal for PlayStation Plus or does Sony just “eat the cost”? What about Nintendo’s eShop?

Around the Network

Think of the amount of money their getting from all the subscriptions and you will find your answer.

It's an interesting question.

I'm a subscriber now, but that's because I earned three free months with my Vita purchase. Once the subscription ends, I don't think I'll resubscribe.

PS Plus is a great service for fans, but it must be eating into sales for games like Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Wipeout.

If they have 2,000,000 subs they're making £80,000,000 from that alone. Would that be enough the cost of some of the discounted and free games?

Deyon said:
Think of the amount of money their getting from all the subscriptions and you will find your answer.

It depends how many subscribers they have. And they are taking a hit for the games they are giving away for free

Around the Network

I think it's good for Sony but bad for third parties but since the PS3 will be winding down with basically just yearly installments of sports games, etc, next year it won't hurt them as far as the PS3 goes.

In the case of the Vita though I consider it a very stupid move on Sony's part considering that system's software stuggles and it being just another competitor to new software sales.

Andrespetmonkey said:

If they have 2,000,000 subs they're making £80,000,000 from that alone. Would that be enough the cost of some of the discounted and free games?

The game discounts would also make people spend more money on PSN as they get that extra discount and probably want to get it while htey can. I know I have brought a few games due to the PS+ discount and not wanting to miss out on it.

AndrewWK said:
Deyon said:

It depends how many subscribers they have. And they are taking a hit for the games they are giving away for free

Even if every PS+ member downloaded a game for free only about 1/100 of those people or less would have actually bought the game. The devs get compensated a smaller amount for every PS+ member that downloads it which equals about what they would have gotten if not put on PS+. It's a much more reliable profit stream plus you have a lot more people playing your game which brings in a lot more DLC and interest in sequels. It can be a very profitable venture for a developer especially if their game is old or isn't a huge title.

Sony pays the devs maybe 50 % of the subscription rates and probably keeps the other 50%. Minus the server costs which aren't much.

Deyon said:
AndrewWK said:
Deyon said:

Even if every PS+ member downloaded a game for free only about 1/100 of those people or less would have actually bought the game. The devs get compensated a smaller amount for every PS+ member that downloads it which equals about what they would have gotten if not put on PS+. It's a much more reliable profit stream plus you have a lot more people playing your game which brings in a lot more DLC and interest in sequels. It can be a very profitable venture for a developer especially if their game is old or isn't a huge title.

Sony pays the devs maybe 50 % of the subscription rates and probably keeps the other 50%. Minus the server costs which aren't much.

On what are you basing that number?

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't bought any PS Vita games because they've all been available on PS+. I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think in some cases, PS+ actually makes consumers LESS attached to the Vita, hurting sales in the short and long term.

No one knows how many subscribers there are, all we know are percentual increases.

I saw the PS+ subscribers in my friendlist rose dramatically after june 2012, its now around 40 with PS+ out of 95 friends.

Best service of this entire gen.