By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The SNES is the greatest console of all time

the snes is what got me into gaming. my father passed this system down to me when he switched and bought the sega genesis. i must say the snes is the best console of them all.

Now PlayingResistance: Fall of Man (PS3)Halo 3 (X360) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
Around the Network

Yeah, i agree with that i think. It was definitly the best RPG console of all time, and didn't really lack anywhere else in the lineup.

RolStoppable said:
twesterm said:
RolStoppable said:
The Wii is the greatest console of all time. How could the Wii lose to the SNES when the Wii is emulating the SNES library among the library of many other great consoles and on top of that has its fair share of great new games?

Because it isn't emulating the entire library.

What do you estimate, how many and which of the important SNES games will be missing on the VC?

Most of the RPGs. You know back when Square was actually an amazing company.

SNES was my 4th system for what it's worth. Likely my 3rd or 4th generation. Really depends on if the different Atari's and Balley Astrocade are considered in the same generation despite there being quite the time difference between them.

Either way it's right in the middle for me.

1, Dreamcast
2, Wii
3, Snes
4, Gamecube
5, N64

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Each great console had its charm in the context of its times, but its imposibile tu judge which console was best, simply becasue each generation implies a different gaming experience, whose variable isn't quality as much as it is certain type of gameplay, a certain feeling that you get while playing, a certain paceing and dificulty and most importantly purpose.
For Example many games nowadays are made for people that dont get out much and thus must strive to satisfy several cognitive needs outside of fun, so a WOW nerd playng SMB for the first time will have no fun and will get bored with it imdiatly. While in those days SMB was played by kids for an hour or two at most and then they went outside to play, or did something else, it wasn made to replace reality etc etc.
So in a certain context, every great console is the best console ever.

Around the Network

no every great console is not the best console ever that doesn't make sense. i completely agree snes was the best. it had 3 things that made it the best and no other console has ever had all three:

lots of great nintendo franchise games - an amazing zelda, two amazing marios, 3 great DK games, super metroid, and star fox, mario kart, and fzero all getting their start as great franchises.

great 3rd party support - street figther 2, mortal kombat, super bomberman 1+2, good shooters like axelay and r-type, mega man x, actraiser, super baseball 2020, and so many more good ones.

an incredible rpg system only ps1/2 compare to it - secret of mana, super mario rpg, earthbound, breath of fire games, and plenty more good rpgs. and then of course the unstoppable trio of the 3 best rpgs ever final fantasy IV+VI and chrono trigger

also great multiplayer games.

ps1 had the great rpgs but despite having good 3rd party support looking back there isn't much to talk about besides the rpgs. and it certainly didn't have anything to match the nintendo franchises. not saying there wasn't anything besides rpgs, but just compared to other great systems it didn't have much. in my opinion it was basically just an incredible rpg system with a small sprinkling of other good games.

ps2 had tons of good rpgs but nothing great enough to compare to the snes greats. but unlike ps1 it had a good non-rpg lineup as well. and the non-rpgs might beat out snes's 3rd party games but once you throw 10 or so great nintendo franchise games into the mix the ps2 just can't match up.

the nes is great but just not as good. the snes basically did everything the nes did but better in terms of software.

sega's systems while good just does not match up in any way to nintendo's systems. they were all good but not great. just didn't have the massive amount of super high quality software in any area.

gc and xbox are both great systems. xbox has good multiplayer, good action games, and some good rpgs. but the rpgs aren't even in the same league as the snes ones, and while there is a big list of great other games for xbox it's not really any better than the list of great snes games. gc had some great games but the nintendo franchises were not as good as the 16-bit ones and it hardly had any rpgs and while had some great 3rd party games its not even close to snes in that area.

finally the n64 which i think is the 2nd best system ever. n64 clearly the best multiplayer system with goldeneye, pd, turok 2, mario kart, ssb, excite bike 64, wave race, several great wrestling games, fzero x, right there you've got enough multiplayer fun to last years. and its main power (the nintendo franchises) are incredible, two of the best zeldas ever, the revolutionary mario 64, mario kart 64, the start of smash bros, and several other good ones. plus it had rare basically like nintendo part 2 making an almost equally as revered lineup as nintendo. it only falls short in the complete lack of rpg support. and thats why it falls to second behind snes.

of course this is just my opinion but its based on the all the great games for each system. and i think i'm being pretty fair to each system. of course if you don't like rpgs then you have to take out a lot of what i said and that'd push systems like n64, xbox, and gc higher. so there's what i think.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

A lot of the great games haven't even made it on vc yet...

Oyvoyvoyv said:
I am 14 years old, and did not experience the SNES. I have downloaded the games on VC, but they just don't seem even close to as good as the N64 games.

Maybe it is that I didn't experience the games when they were new, and that they can't compare to todays games. But for me, N64 > GC and maybe even Wii. I believe, that since so many here had their first console as NES or SNES they have a nostalgia, that follow them even when they play the games again.

I changed my opinion. I do not partly agree. I simply don't agree. The greatest console of all time (for me) is currently Nintendo 64.

I disagree, because I go back and play SNES titles that I never played as a kid, and I STILL have the most fun with them. Games back then had soul. Which SNES games did you download on the VC? 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I didn't get to grow up with a snes :(.. My first console I was alive when my parents bought was N64 which is my favourite console to date. I wonder if my opinion would of changed if I grew up with Snes instead.

Yes it is.