By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: 7 Shocking Facts about the Food Industry that You Must Know

dallas said:
So in other words use common sense when making food choices?

Assuming people has common sense lol

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Can someone describe to me why Vitamin water isnt as good as I think it is? Because I really like that stuff.

After looking up what it is made of. It is made of crystalline fructose Which is a fancy word for sugar, actually has 33g of sugar which is more than a 12 oz of coke.  It also has no juice. here is the ingreidients

vapor distilled/deionized water, crystalline fructose, citric acid, vegetable juice (color), natural flavor, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), natural flavor, vitamin E acetate, magnesium lactate (elecrolyte), calcium lactate (electrolyte), zinc picolinate, monopotassium phosphate (electrolyte), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), cyanocobalamine (B12)

Note that it does have vitamins in it but it is still loaded with sugar which makes it fattening due to an excess amount of sugar.  

Before making it through a second aisle, though, I gave up and came to one, inevitable conclusion: these companies are not trying to make you healthy – they are trying to sell you a product.

Okay, did anyone ever believe anything different? Of course they're trying to sell you a product. That's why companies exist; to sell things and make a profit. If they can't do that, the company will go bankrupt. I'm more saddened by the fact that people buy into this crap than that companies do it in the first place.

Here's some good advice for eating healthy. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this healthy?" ... Don't eat it. It probably isn't.

insomniac17 said:

Before making it through a second aisle, though, I gave up and came to one, inevitable conclusion: these companies are not trying to make you healthy – they are trying to sell you a product.

Okay, did anyone ever believe anything different? Of course they're trying to sell you a product. That's why companies exist; to sell things and make a profit. If they can't do that, the company will go bankrupt. I'm more saddened by the fact that people buy into this crap than that companies do it in the first place.

Here's some good advice for eating healthy. If you have to ask yourself, "Is this healthy?" ... Don't eat it. It probably isn't.

Still pretty cheapt tactics no matter how you twist it.  There is healthy honest companies out there so I do think it is a big deal.  Obesity is getting ridiculous and while i certainly dont blame the food industry, I blame it on people being lazy.  But I dont think this helps either that they can bend the rules so much and get away with it.  A lot of people dont know how to read labels either so it often times does come down to the name.

JayWood2010 said:

Still pretty cheapt tactics no matter how you twist it.  There is healthy honest companies out there so I do think it is a big deal.  Obesity is getting ridiculous and while i certainly dont blame the food industry, I blame it on people being lazy.  But I dont think this helps either that they can bend the rules so much and get away with it.  A lot of people dont know how to read labels either so it often times does come down to the name.

I'm not twisting it, and I'm not defending it. What I'm saying is that I expect it. I expect companies to try and maximise profits, which may very well include doing something that I personally find wrong. I therefore take it upon myself to learn about these things, and either decide the practices are an acceptable tradeoff (by purchasing the product anyway), or deciding that I can't support such a practice (by not purchasing the product).

Again, I find it more sad that people are unaware of such things going on more than I find it sad that these things are happening at all. People have been taking advantage of each other since the beginning of time. Now is no different.

Around the Network
insomniac17 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm not twisting it, and I'm not defending it. What I'm saying is that I expect it. I expect companies to try and maximise profits, which may very well include doing something that I personally find wrong. I therefore take it upon myself to learn about these things, and either decide the practices are an acceptable tradeoff (by purchasing the product anyway), or deciding that I can't support such a practice (by not purchasing the product).

Again, I find it more sad that people are unaware of such things going on more than I find it sad that these things are happening at all. People have been taking advantage of each other since the beginning of time. Now is no different.

Very true bro.  People are lazy though so Im not really surprised that people would not know much about it though.

couldn't agree more.

Yea, the leash these companies are given from a marketing perspective is incredible.

I just wish there were a few honest, good health drinks out there in regular stores. Today I was in 711 after a workout and wanted something that tasted good and was relatively good for the body. It's impossible... everything is a Gatorade or Vitamin Water clone with far too many drawbacks. I bought this drink called "Good4you" in the end, but I wasn't fooling myself, without even reading the label I know it probably wasn't good for me.

It would just be nice to have a few healthy drinks out there, that you don't need to visit a specialty store to get... even if they don't taste that good. It seems like if I'm not buying water my only other option is an unhealthy one.