By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Theory about the USA online

Tagged games:

brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

I'm getting this from a lot of people so far. A lot of people are saying that America is big and well known so it gets the most attention, good or bad.

But what I'd like to know is why do those with negative things to say feel the need to express their opinion when that opinion was not asked for. For example, if someone posts that they love the USA and wouldn't want to live anywhere else it is very likely that someone will reply with some kind of example as to why the USA is flawed. I want to know what compels these people to do this.

Couldn't you argue that nobody asked for their opinion either? Saying something like that off-topic would come off as very arrogant, so that response would be completely justified. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from somebody who had never set foot outside their own country too.

None of that matters. A positive statement does not require a negative response.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

Couldn't you argue that nobody asked for their opinion either? Saying something like that off-topic would come off as very arrogant, so that response would be completely justified. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from somebody who had never set foot outside their own country too.

None of that matters. A positive statement does not require a negative response.

It does if it's an arrogant statement.

brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

A "negative comment" does not require an answer all the time as well. Self critisicm once in a while is a very healthy thing.

kain_kusanagi said:

I'm getting this from a lot of people so far. A lot of people are saying that America is big and well known so it gets the most attention, good or bad.

But what I'd like to know is why do those with negative things to say feel the need to express their opinion when that opinion was not asked for. For example, if some posts that they love the USA and wouldn't want to live anywhere else it is very likely that someone will reply with some kind of example as to why the USA is flawed. I want to know what compels these people to do this.

don't know but that is a general "problem" and i think not really something which has to do with usa. it's the same if you say you like the linearity of uncharted or whatever. people will instantly jump in the thread to say the hate uncharted because of that even if you didn't ask for it. 

one more reason could be that you are american and you probably recognize bad posts about usa more as about other countries. i also recognize bad posts about germany or halo more as about other countries or games.

brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

Well then I guess it's a good thing we have people to judge arrogance and respond. Or is that itself arrogant?

Around the Network
Somini said:
brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

A "negative comment" does not require an answer all the time as well. Self critisicm once in a while is a very healthy thing.

That's not being disputing. What I'd like to know is why do those with negative things to say feel the need to express their opinion when that opinion was not asked for.

kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

That's not being disputing. What I'd like to know is why do those with negative things to say feel the need to express their opinion when that opinion was not asked for.

Do you have any clear examples of this, so i can imagine what it precisely is you are talking about here?

RolStoppable said:
Honestly, the USA make it difficult to not hate them. How many other countries do you know that crown world champions in national contests? You need to eat more humble pie, it also has less calories.

Because we are the melting pot, we are the world. Diversity is good, and America is more diverse, so American champions would be world champions.

Math.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Oh... and the reason it happens is exactly the obvious reason. The US is still the world's only Super Power.

Lots of people hate on the Yankees, Manchester United, the Miami Heat etc. Even when it's just some banal News report like "So and so is injured".

Pretty much nobody goes after the Milwalkee Brewers, Aston Villa or the Charlotte Bobcats.

Somini said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
brendude13 said:

Do you have any clear examples of this, so i can imagine what it precisely is you are talking about here?

I'm not going to call out anybody and I'm not going to give any links. I'm speaking from personal experience. But I will give you an example without being specific. I once said that I would like to visit other nations, but I would prefer to continue living in the USA. I was then forced to defend my preference and the USA in general from many angles on various topics. I realized that this was only one of many similar instances.

Often while discussing topics like Iran or North Korea the conversation will be derailed to the USA and it's many faults. It seems that if an American criticizes even a nation as problematic as North Korea they must defend the USA and the American way of life. It's as if people have a chip on their shoulder and as soon as politics are mentioned they feel an unavoidable need to fire flaming arrows at the closest American with anything resembling a positive outlook on their homeland.