By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

happydolphin said:
phinch1 said:

ok.... but earlier you were talking about other people being in denial?

It's not denial this time, I accepted your points. I just don't care about them. With Mazty he rejected my points and didn't include them in his "math", that's different.

Your points are there, but my value system require not a name to be official for me to use it, that's why it's called an unofficial name. That's common sense though.

Your point - it's okay to be wrong. 

My point - no, it really isn't. 

I stand by this 100%. If you're going to do something, do it right, or not at all. It'll only help you in life. Otherwise you may become a slacker. And slackers can turn into the depressed. Who can turn into junkies. Who turn tricks for cash to get their next hit. 

So, in short, by refusing to call the Playstation the correct name, you're in danger of becoming a meth-snorting hooker. That's just how life works man, it's a cruel world out there. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:

I stand by this 100%. If you're going to do something, do it right, or not at all. It'll only help you in life. Otherwise you may become a slacker. And slackers can turn into the depressed. Who can turn into junkies. Who turn tricks for cash to get their next hit. 

So, in short, by refusing to call the Playstation the correct name, you're in danger of becoming a meth-snorting hooker. That's just how life works man, it's a cruel world out there. 

Problem is I'm 28, and I have a great job and am looking at a prospective relationship with a beautiful girl. And I don't do drugs.

So, what can I say, mazty-theory doesn't always match with reality ;) Scratch that, it rarely does.

kain_kusanagi said:
mjk45 said:
SwansVanTerif said:
kain_kusanagi said:

PSX was the only abbreviation for the Playstation back when there was no PS2.

The PSX was not a console between the PS2 and 3, it was a DVR enabled PS2 released only in Japan. Everyone outside of Japan doesn't need to remember the PSX, it wasn't a world wide product.

There was no PS1, there was a PS and a PSone, but no PS1. PS-X was the internal development name for the PS and predated the PSone.

SCEA actually wanted to release the Playstation with the name PSX because they didn't like the name Playstation. I agree with them, to me it sounds like a Playschool toy for babies.

But anyway, we call it PSX because back in the 32bit days the vast majority called it PSX and the name stuck. Back then you either typed Playstation or PSX. All the magazines did it and so did those of us with dial up and a forum to post on.

Playstation is maybe the best console name ever(only rivaled by GameBoy). If Sony has done one thing right, it's to stick to that name. The Super Nintendo? The ... Mega Drive? The Atari 2600? The Xbox? The Nintendo 64? The Dreamcast? The Wii? The Wonderswan?

Consoles have dumb names, and the PlayStation name might not be cool, but it explains just what it is, contrary to those other names I just listed.

since people called computers in offices workstations they decided to play off  that and  call it  the Playstation .

If I had to guess I'd say it was much simpler than that.

Game =  Play

Console = Station

Game Console = Playstation

Sony couldn't get much more generic than Playstation. I mean I've always prefered the cool and unique names like Saturn, PC-Engine, Genesis, Neo Geo, Dreamcast, Colecovision, etc. But that's not my real issue with the name Playstation. It sounds like a toy for a 2 year old.

Back in 1994, before Sony entered the console race, if I told you the baby in the picture below was having fun with his new PlaySkool PlayStation, you would have thought that sounds about right. Sony did a great job turning it into a cool brand, but it just never sounded as good as the examples I gave above. Sony has been very consistant, I'll give them credit for that.

the thing is I remember them using the workstation playstation analogy in an interview about the name .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I call it PS1. And it don't bother me when people call it the PSX. When people call it PSX, I know they mean the PS1.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

Problem is I'm 28, and I have a great job and am looking at a prospective relationship with a beautiful girl. And I don't do drugs.

So, what can I say, mazty-theory doesn't always match with reality ;) Scratch that, it rarely does.

Just wait for it bro, it can sneak up to you anytime, anywhere. 

And mazty-theory is almost always right. Scratch that, it rarely is ever wrong. It's awesome being right all the time - you should try it, it feels pretty good man. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:

And mazty-theory is almost always right. Scratch that, it rarely is ever wrong. It's awesome being right all the time - you should try it, it feels pretty good man. 

Funny thing it's been making me feel more and more stupid the longer I stayed in this thread. :P

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

Funny thing it's been making me feel more and more stupid the longer I stayed in this thread. :P

Blates Dunning-Kruger effect. Only explanation. 

Mazty said:

I know! I noticed it in you from the moment I came in.

Good catch.

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

I know! I noticed it in you from the moment I came in.

Good catch.

As in the scientific background I come from is so obvious that I'm able to single out in a femtosecond the chronic sufferers of that tragic mental ailment? Wow, I'm flattered, I truly am! :D

Mazty said:

As in the scientific background I come from is so obvious that I'm able to single out in a femtosecond the chronic sufferers of that tragic mental ailment? Wow, I'm flattered, I truly am! :D

Yeah! :D You are both brilliant and retarded all at once :)