By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Naughty Dog Devs Form New WiiWare Studio

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17112

Ex-Naughty Dog Devs Form New WiiWare Studio

Former Naughty Dog veterans Jason Hughes and Andrew Gilmour have announced the formation of a new independent studio named Steel Penny Games. The Austin, Texas based studio has already announced its status as a WiiWare games developer, with its first title using an original intellectual property due to be released in mid-2008.

The title is described as blending a “challenging puzzle game with dramatic fantasy environments and appealing characters for an exceptionally satisfying experience”. No screenshots or other details of the game have been revealed at this time.

Naughty Dog, where Hughes was a senior graphics tools engineer and Gilmour a senior background artist, are best known for the original Crash Bandicoot games, as well as Jak & Daxter and the more recent Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune – all titles exclusively released on PlayStation formats.

Although the company is described as being focused on digital distribution, as yet there has been no indication that it will release games for either Xbox Live Arcade or the PlayStation Network. Instead the team has spent the last year building a proprietary engine specifically for the Wii and creating its new intellectual property, which is expected to be used across several games.

Hughes describes the company’s strategy as “The modern equivalent of the garage method for an independent to gain a foothold in the industry - a unique opportunity WiiWare presents that we appreciate.”

“I am impressed with the egalitarian approach Nintendo has taken toward WiiWare developers. It allows the risk burden to shift back onto the creative developers,” he added.

Around the Network

This is great news, imo. I love Naughty Dog and I think they can make amazing games on the WiiWare platform.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:
This is great news, imo. I love Naughty Dog and I think they can make amazing games on the WiiWare platform.

Uh... i suggest you read the OP again...

Teragen said:
loadedstatement said:

By 'they' I meant the former Devs.  In other words, I love Naughty Dog.  And I think that the former ND devs will make amazing games on the WiiWare platform.  Better? 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Good stuff. Thanks for the post.

Around the Network
loadedstatement said:
Teragen said:
loadedstatement said:

By 'they' I meant the former Devs. In other words, I love Naughty Dog. And I think that the former ND devs will make amazing games on the WiiWare platform. Better?

Quite...

Interesting. Good luck to them.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Here's their website.

http://www.steelpennygames.com

This the game they are currently working on.

http://www.steelpennygames.com

It doesn't say if this is the game they are making for the Wii. 

Is the Wii stealing devs from other consoles???

geometry wars
now Naughty Dog devs who were loyal to playstatons?????

now i'm waiting for insomniac to try to do something for wiiware and psn!!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
loadedstatement said:

don't kid yourself bro.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY